It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
(female)

zeebzeeb HB User
Question Possible PID & Ovarian Cyst

*waves*

This is going to be a long one I’m afraid!

I've very recently been diagnosed with possible PID and also a possible Ovarian Cyst on my right hand side.

I was treated for PID a couple of years ago – I was given a course of antibiotics and sent for an ultrasound scan. I was in a huge amount of pain and had to go to A&E at the time in case it was appendicitis, which it wasn’t. The scan didn’t show up anything and the PID went away after finishing the course of antibiotics. -Apparently my partner at that time should have also been treated for PID, but this was never mentioned to either of us for some reason?
I was also asked to go to my local GUM clinic for full screening. I was told by the clinic that I didn’t need to come in as I was already taking Doxycyclin for my acne and it would have cleared anything up and interfered with the tests they would have done.

This time around I have had a nagging pain in my right hand side for a good while, I thought maybe I had just pulled a muscle at work – I do a lot of lifting, etc - or it was just a flare up of my fibromyalgia.
A few weeks ago it suddenly got much worse and the idea that it might be PID again entered my mind. I gave it a bit longer and when it didn’t go away I went to see my GP.
My GP agreed with me that it was most likely to be PID again and I had an internal exam and swabs taken to check for STDs. I had a pregnancy test as well, which was negative. She recommended that I go over to the GUM clinic to have the full screen and blood work as they can only do limited tests at the surgery. I was also given a two week course of antibiotics.

I went over to the clinic last night and had everything done. During the internal exam that I had there the doctor could feel something on the side where I am having the pain and was quite sure that I had a cyst on that side. I have now been referred for another ultrasound scan – I don’t know if it’s going to be internal or external, the last one was just an external scan.

The doctor at the clinic said it was very common to be misdiagnosed with PID, which makes me wonder if it was a cyst and not PID before?
If I only had an external ultrasound could they have missed it the last time? –How hard are they to miss? Could it have been too small and has been growing causing the pain now?
Could the cyst have become damaged the first time around causing me so much pain? – I don’t know what to think! XD

I’ve had a lot more nausea this time and have been sick. The pain is also worse, I’m wondering if the internal exams could have aggravated whatever it is in there?

Has anyone else had anything similar? –It just seems to have dragged on!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Possible PID & Ovarian Cyst

Hello Zeebzeeb,

Keep in mind that if a cyst ruptures it will cause a lot of pain and there is a chance that it may also cause infection. The pain from a ruptured cyst is caused by the fluid inside the cyst being released into the abdominal cavity which in turn irritates the abdominal wall. This fluid is eventually absorbed by your body. Both an external or an internal ultrasound would detect the cysts and they should be able to tell what kind of cysts they are (simple fluid filled cysts or more complex, containing both liquid and solid). The symptoms of a ruptured cyst mimic those of appendicitis. After a recent rupture, they may be able to see free fluid in your abdomen on an ultrasound.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
(female)

zeebzeeb HB User

Hi,

Ty for your reply!

I wonder if may have been something like this the first time I was ill? I was in an awful lot more pain then than I was now. The symptoms I had do seem to fit with a cyst rupturing.

I had an ultrasound the week after my hospital visit last time, but I think it may take longer for an appointment this time around. Could the fluid have been missed last time?

Fingers crossed it’s something nice and simple! XD

Old 11-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

If it was a ruptured ovarian cyst and the ultrasound was done later, the fluid would have had time to be reabsorbed by your body so they would not have seen anything. Going into emergency for appendicitis and finding out it was a ruptured cyst is quite a common occurence. I am not sure if the pain you are experiencing now is due to a(perhaps another) cyst .. if the doctor felt one during your pelvic exam then this would seem likely. An ultrasound (internal or external) will be able to say if you indeed have a cyst and if so what type and how large. Keep in mind that so called functional cysts are perfectly normal unless they persist over a certain number of cycles or become very large, in which case a decision has to be made to remove them using surgery (usually by laparoscopy).

For example, at the moment I have a 7.5 cm simple (fluid filled) cyst which is likely to be a follicular cyst which kept on growing and never released its egg (either this or perhaps a luteal corpus cyst which occurs when the opening where the egg comes out recloses and the cyst becomes filled with liquid). I had both external and an internal ultrasounds and both showed very clearly the size of the cyst and that it was filled with liquid (appears black on the ultrasound due to the soundwaves going right through it). At the moment I am waiting to see if the cyst will get reabsorbed or will dissolve on its own. It may also rupture which would be a very unpleasant experience I am sure (I am a musician and pray that this would never happen while I am on stage !). At the moment I experience quite a bit of pain when I ovulate (about 14 days after the start of menses) .. I usually know I am starting to ovulate by the cervical mucus which is just like raw egg whites (thick and shiny). Other than this, I have a little bit of cramping during my period which is not unusual.

If you are in a lot of pain, see if you can get your ultrasound moved up. You may also want to chart when you have pains and compare it to your menstrual cycle. I personally decided to go and have my ultrasounds done at a semi-private clinic instead of waiting for centuries to get it on the public health system (in Canada we have universal health care but there are many private clinics cropping up for tests such as MRI's, CT scans, colonoscopies, ultrasounds etc.. this is due to the abominal waiting periods in our public system). It hurts the pocket book but lessens the worrying since I have the information quicker and know sooner what I am dealing with.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
(female)

zeebzeeb HB User

Hello!

Just an update, I've had the first set of swab results come back, which apparently show that I have thrush? -I have absolutely no symptoms what so ever!

Is it possible to have no symptoms?

Still no date for the ultrasound either!

Old 11-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Zeebzeeb,

Yeast infections are quite common but it is strange that you don't have any itching or discharge. Perhaps there is not enough bacteria yet to cause symptoms. Keep in mind that antibiotics can cause yeast infections as they upset the vaginal flora and cause certain types of bacteria to flourish. You had mentioned that you were on antibiotics for your PID.

At any rate, I would still push for the ultrasound and take the cream or pills or whatever for the yeast infection in the meantime. If the doctor said that he thinks he feels a cyst then it certainly is worth checking it out.

As for my situation, my gynecologist phoned this morning and she tells me that since the cyst has not changed in 9 weeks since the first ultrasound, she suspects that it is not a functional cyst but a serous cyst (these are still benign). This means that I may not be able to get rid of it without having surgery. She said that unless it really bothers me, I should simply monitor it to make sure it does not grow any bigger. I am now going to have a CA-125 test to try to mitigate my risk (CA-125 is a cancer antigen which "may" be elevated in women with ovarian cancer .. it is not a very precise test however and may give a false positive or a false negative .. how thrilling .. nevertheless, if the results show a very high CA-125 then this is cause for concern).

Looks like my life just became a lot more complicated ... I absolutely hate this and wish things would go back to the way it was when my health was less complicated and I used to worry over more unimportant things. But I guess it could be much worse ...

Take care of yourself and keep us all posted.

Closed Thread