It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
(female)

Shannatoo HB User
itching after period?

Hello,

I am an 18 year old fairly healthy teenager. However, I have a slightly embarassing problem that I don't particularly want to ask my doctor in person if I don't have to.

From the time I started my period, I have always experienced some pretty bad itching immediately after my period for about a week. I don't use tampons at all and only use chlorine and fragrance free pads. Is this just from a sudden lack of moisture down there or something else? And most importantly is there anything I can do to relieve this itching every month?

(Just a note, I have never seen a gynecologist so I've never been asked about anything "down there." Also, I don't ever have any other itching except for the week following my period).

Thank you!

Shanna

Last edited by Shannatoo; 12-03-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: itching after period?

I have had this happen to me before, but in my case it was because of the tampons. I was using regular flow tampons and needed the light ones and it was drying me out a bit. If you are feeling dry afterwards, it can definitely be because of this. I know some people on the pill have this happen and get almost yeast infection-like symptoms that go away, but I'm guessing you are not on the pill if you don't have a gynecologist. This may sound silly, but it worked for me when this happened... I actually got a little bit of lube and put it inside of me (just a tiny bit) when this happened and I felt dryness... it helped and no more itching! You can just buy some at the store without anybody knowing so it's an easy thing to do to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
(female)

Shannatoo HB User

Thank you for the reply. I am not on any birth control so that can't be the cause of my itching. Is it safe to put any mild lotion (without perfumes or artificial coloring) down there? I don't want to do anything to make it worse.

Thanks

Shanna

Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I would go with a personal lubricant, such as KY, as tUrRrRa recommended. Make sure it isn't scented and doesn't have any spermicide in it.

A gynecologist once said to me, don't put anything in your vagina you wouldn't want in your mouth--and don't put food in there, either. Skin lotions really aren't meant to be used on that part of the body.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

broadwaybound HB User

I use to get yeast infections after my period-even if I was only using pads. I would try using natural "cures" to try and help it such as vinegar baths (a cup of white vinegar in a shallow sit bath), rinsing with warm water after you use the bathroom, making sure your laundry detergent is free of fragrances, and that you're drinking plenty of water. I find that if I'm dehydrated "down there" is the FIRST thing to get itchy and dry.

Closed Thread