It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Enlarged ovary, bleeding cyst

After months of bowel troubles (and seeing a GI) I finally started to lean towards gyn problems. I was in the ER sat night due to severe pain. They did an ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound. They sent me home with some pain pills and told me to see my gyn. They said I had a bleeding cyst and some uterine fibroids, but not much else.

I saw my gyn today who said I had an enlarged right ovary which has a 2.5cm cyst on it which appears to be bleeding. My husband said in the ER to me that my right ovary was twice the size of my left, but I didn't think he knew how to look at the US (I can't see anything in those things!) The Gyn said the uterine fibroids were small (1cm) and most likely not causing problems. She said it could be endometriosis or cancer (she said that real fast and dismissive). She wants to wait 6 weeks to do an ultrasound when I am in a different part of my cycle. She also sent me home with 3 months birth control pills to start after my next period, to see if that helps.

My problem with waiting 6 weeks is I have been sick for 3 months. Abdominal pain, constipation, weight loss (30lbs), etc. I can't do 6 more weeks of pain! I am uncomfortable most days but in pain a few days a week (to the point of crying). I said as much but she didn't seem to think we had any other options. Laparoscopy is the only way to diagnosis endometriosis, she says, so she wants to watch it for now. Last week my GP did test the CA125, which I found out was only slightly elevated to 38 (0-35 is normal). Although it's not reliable either way really. She did a pelvic exam today and said my cervix is tilted and pressing on my rectum. She didn't say much else but said it in a way to suggest that might be causing a problem, however when I had my son 8 yrs ago they told me my cervix was tilted.
I am having a colonoscopy on Monday, which was scheduled a while back by my GI.

I'd think symptoms alone would help speed things up. I'm so frustrated right now. My husband wants me to call my GP and see if he can get me a referral to a gyn/oncologist to just find out one way or another. He's worried 6 weeks could mean a lot. I don't know what else to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Re: Enlarged ovary, bleeding cyst

Hi Zoe x seen your post over on the digestive probs board. Just want to say lm thinking of you x I too had heard some womens 'troubles' Do actually show up as digestive problems/symptoms which is scary. I really hope you get good news hun Just want you to know l am thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed, you must be so frustarted with pain and not knowing what the heck is going on with you!! If your suffering get back to that doc theyve got to do something you cant suffer another 6 weeks!!! Thinking of you girl love niecsey xxx

Last edited by niecsey; 01-11-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I'm in crying pain again today - opinions please.

I’m having issues today with pain, this is something that happens a couple times a week. I need to have a bowel movement (last BM was diarrhea on Wednesday - diarrhea is rare, only had 2-3x in 3 months).

Today (the norm) I cramp, go to the restroom, cramp more (left side/lower ab). When I push my right side has a sharp pain (as always). I will only pass 1-2 small stools (a large marble size?) and it’s covered in mucus. I end up back in the bathroom 15-30 mins later, repeat. Constant lower back pain today , right side. Some days I will go and go and go (lots of stool, formed not hard or diarrhea) and I'm usually crying from cramps all day. After, I still feel like I could have more BM.

I really don't know if I can take this 6 more weeks but I don't know what my options are.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Zoe thats awful!!!! You cannot stay in this mess any longer go back to hospital! Someone has to do something fast l really feel for you girl (Y) wish l could help you l understand how scary and frustrating it is to be in pain and have to wait (due to to my other medical probs not stomach) Have you got IBS? Really feel for you get on the phone to that doc of yours and tell him your in agony!!! Good luck xxx

Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Zoe, I am so sorry to hear about all of your recent troubles! 6 weeks does seem like a long time to wait knowing that you might continue to feel bad. I hope the birth control helps, but it takes time to work....it sounds like your doc wants you to avoid having any procedures if necessary, but still....geez! Keep us posted on everything. I'm sending positive vibes your way!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
(female)

TEEEB HB User

Hi Zoe,
It’s been a while since anyone posted to this thread, but I was reading through messages and came across your situation. I feel for you and know what you are going through. I have been having pelvic pain for a long time. I’ve mentioned it and other symptoms to my doctor in one way or another at several visits. I too have had bowel issues and been told it was IBS. I have been told my back pain was fibromyalgia. I have been told that I am depressed and depression causes ‘weird’ pain. I finally got sick of it and went to my GYN. He thought it was appendicitis and sent me for a CT which showed next to nothing. When I noticed the lymph nodes in my groin were swollen and sore I went back to my family practice and saw a different doctor. This one ordered the ultrasound which shows… a right ovarian cyst. Its small – around 2 cm.

So I too am on the ‘wait and see’ plan. I have two more weeks to go before my follow up ultrasound. I’m like you some days aren’t too bad, but some days I can barely function. I’m worn out from the constant pain. Even it isn’t HORRIBLE levels of pain, I’m convinced being in some amount of pain everyday is very tiring.

I too struggle with – should I go to see another doctor? Or just wait? I’ll have a day were the pain isn’t so bad and resign myself to wait. Then 'poof' a day of intense pain and I regret my decision. But, I can tell you a couple of things that are helping me cope.
1) I have really had to focus on the fact that I’ve had this pain for months now and lived through it. I think just knowing something is there (the cyst) is causing me stress and making things worse. Before I was oblivious and not nearly concerned. I try to remember that few more weeks won’t make that much of a difference.
2) I have started to keep track of my pain. I found a pain scale on line… to help me rate the level of pain. I’m sorry I don’t know exactly where I found it – but I do know I was looking at endometriosis information at the time. So I am charting for myself… by day of my cycle – my pain level, information about bowel movements/habits, breast tenderness, nausea, etc. I’m just to the point were I will have comparable data – cycle to cycle. This was a recommendation on the web site I found… oh I did forget to mention my GYN does think I might have endometriosis… based on the information I gave him and the fact that the CT scan didn’t show anything. At this point, he doesn’t even know about the cyst… I will follow up with him depending on what the 2nd ultrasound says.

So hang in there and I hope things go well for you.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Zoe,

I have read your posts and am so sorry that you are going through this.

The way I see it, you have two options: 1. bear through the pain for another six weeks and then see at the followup ultrasound or 2. find another gyn who will do a laparoscopy and not only remove the bleeding cyst but also do a bit of exploration in order to see if you have endometriosis

You mentioned that your colonoscopy showed some scarring in the bowel. Did they tell you what might be causing this .. have they tested for Crohn's Colitis ? Crohn's often presents with inflammation in the bowel but only in certain sections of it. In light of your bowel problems ...

An ovarian cyst can present most of the symptoms that you are describing. The leg and tailbone pain may be due to the cyst affecting a nerve that causes the pain. Although the cyst does not appear to be very large, the fact that it is bleeding is probably what is causing you all of the pain. If the blood leaks out of the cyst and ends up in the cul de sac region, this can be quite painful and yes it would occur near your tailbone area.

You really have to decide whether you want to continue to experience this pain and anguish or whether you want to seek out a more aggressive doctor who will do something immediately. Also, I really do not think that those B/C pills are going to do anything for the cyst although I have read that they can help endometriosis. Recent studies show that oral contraceptives are no more effective than simply waiting for getting rid of cysts.

Good luck with your decision. It is a difficult one and only you know what you are the most comfortable with. I personally would opt for more immediate action especially in light of your symptoms.

Take care of yourself and I hope you find relief as soon as possible.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

Thanks Estria. I knew you'd have something to say about it! I was hoping anyway.

The GI told me it was "nonspecific colitis" and said we'd know what kind when the biopsy came back. I tested negative for Crohn's, Celiac, etc. The nurse was very short with me on the phone, saying it was not colitis, but scarring (it is very very small, I saw the images) and basically let me know the GI was done with me. Which I was fine with since I feel it IS the cyst that is causing problems. But the GYN thinks otherwise. I find it odd that her office says that a cyst wouldn't cause the abdominal pain I am having... I've read in many places it can cause bowel trouble... it's more like, when I have a bowel movement or need to, I am in pain. Possibly pressing into the affected area?

Everyone seems to want to point a finger at someone else... or makes me feel like I am being a baby about it. I did recently get another GYN opinion and they feel the same: wait and see. Although she said she would want to do laparoscopy if I did not improve. She also said she thought it was unlikely to be endo since I am 37 and I've never had problems before. Also since I had no fertility problems. I've kept my Feb 21st appt with the first gyn.

I was OK with waiting until the tailbone pain because I had been feeling uncomfortable but not in pain. The tailbone pain is better today but I am having lower back pain (higher than the tailbone). I do understand the need to wait, to see if it gets bigger or smaller, but I don't think they are understand that I have been sick for FOUR months, not a few days.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Zoe,

I find it very strange that the gyne thinks that a bleeding cyst is painless. I thought it was common knowledge that when a cyst begins to bleed into itself, it is painful ! Also, blood in the cul de sac will DEFINITELY irritate the abdominal lining because you are not supposed to have blood there. Would they perhaps pay more attention to the term "internal bleeding" ? If the cyst is leaking and there isn't too much blood in the cul de sac, your body will eventually absorb this but if there is a lot of blood, a laparoscopy to clean you up will be necessary (and to get rid of the cyst). If the pain becomes unbearable, I would head out to the ER and tell them that you had been diagnosed with a bleeding cyst.

Your bowel problems may very well be related to both issues. Don't worry about what the nurse says, just speak to your doctor about it. People don't simply have scarring in their bowel as a matter of course and you may have some form of colitis which needs to be kept an eye on. If your doctor is still waiting on the results then definitely your interaction with him is not finished and you have to see him regarding the results. Have you ever tried probiotics ? You can get them either in pill form or eat them in yoghurt. They will help to restore the floral balance in your gut and reduce inflammation.

If you are not in too much pain and you have decided to wait it out, try to relax as much as possible and KNOW that your own body is strong and is working to heal the problem. I experience all sorts of weird pain from time to time that is related to my cyst and I too don't receive much sympathy but sometimes we have to insist.

Take care of yourself.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

I just want to let you know that there are others out here who feel your pain. My daughter, who just turned 18, has been dealing with horrible pain for 4 years! She had been diagnosed with Crohn's after 1 year and then 2 years later of feeling no better they decided they misdiagnosed her. She has had 3 colonoscopies, MRI, numerous x-rays among other tests. Her sed rate has been very high meaning that there is something inflamed in her body, right now it is triple the max. They did find that she had a 4cm cyst on her ovary which then disappeared. She is now getting 2 more cysts on the other side. They have started her on birth control pills to try and cotrol the cysts. We are seeing a GI doctor, an OBGYN, and a rheumatologist to try and find out exactly what is causing all this pain. Oh well, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Good luck,
Kathy

Old 02-02-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Kathy,

I am sorry to hear about your daughter. I read your previous post and was wondering if they have bothered to check out her bladder and kidneys ? You said that she is very thirsty and has trouble waiting to urinate and even looses some urine when pressure is put on the bladder (ie. caughing etc..). Have they checked for kidney stones for example, which can be extremely painful ...

From your previous post, it sounds like they have only looked at the colon and ovaries but perhaps they have also checked the bladder and kidneys (ie. urine test ..). Does she have any problems with her bowel movements or are these normal ? Also, I assume that her menses come on time and that she has no irregular menstrual bleeding (ie. either bleeding when she isn't supposed to or bleeding more than usual during her period).

I was wondering if you have ever tried to use probiotics ? These can do wonders for the gut and can directly improve the body's immune system simply by restoring the balance of good vs bad flora in the colon. The digestive system is the first line of defence against outside invaders and having enough good bacteria in your gut helps the body to keep unwanted bacteria and toxins from entering the body thereby flushing them out through the stool. Inflammation is often the body's response to something it does not recognize which it is trying to fight off. Also, does your daughter get enough vitamin C ? This also helps to boost the immune system and humans are the only beings on earth that do not manufacture their own vitamin C (other animals do). We must therefore get it from our food and our fruits and vegetables no longer contain sufficient quantities of nutrients (due to years of genetic engineering for good looks and thicker outer layers in order to withstand transport rather than trying to improve nutrition ..) so supplements are recommended. Vitamin C will also help to reduce inflammation. If you have already tried these things then please forgive this lengthy explanation.

I wish you the best in your search for the source of your daughter's problem. If you keep being persistent, I am sure that you will find the problem. Don't give up, just keep exhausting the options until you find the culprit. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Closed Thread