It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

missy502 HB User
Ovarian Cysts-Should I go to ER?

Ok, I've got a question. On December 24, 2007, I went the ER b/c I was having pain in my back and legs. I thought it was a kidney infection. Come to find out that I had two cyst on my right ovary (6 and 7 cm) and 1 on my left ovary (3 cm). I have since followed up with my Gyn. He is planning on doing a follow-up ultrasound in March. I was told that if it happened again, go to the ER. That's what they always say.
Last night I was getting up off the couch and had a sudden, severe pain in my left side. I was up the entire night with it. I haven't slept yet. I am still in severe pain. Since I already have some pain medicine (from a back problem), I don't really want to go to the ER.
The only thing that worries me is that I threw up once early this morning and was running a mild fever. The fever has since disappeared, maybe due to Tylenol.
If I go to the ER, I feel like I just need to tell them that I want the cysts removed (surgically). These cysts have been lingering around since my partial hysterectomy in Jan. of '05. I had it b/c I had Stage 1B cervical cancer. I have also had Stage 1 skin cancer (melanoma).
Due to my "cancer history", I worry about ovarian cancer. My aunt and grandmother died of it.
Anyway, should I just go ahead and have my ovaries taken out? I really do not want to go through menopause right now. I'm just 31.
I cannot take hormones b/c of my increased risk of breast cancer. My mom, both grandmothers, and two aunts have had it. My mother had it around my age. Noone in my family had died from it, Thank God!
I just hate going to the ER. I HATE it! I know they will do a CT scan and say, "You have ovarian cysts". This I already know for sure.
Is this something I should push my doctor to fix surgically, or should I try and wait it out?
Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Ovarian Cysts-Should I go to ER?

Hi Missy,

Sorry to hear you are in pain. Perhaps one of the cysts burst as sometimes happens. Symptoms of a ruptured cyst include vomiting, diarrhea, sharp pelvic pain and sometimes fever which you should be careful of because this could signal an infection (antibiotics would take care of this). Usually the pain is caused by the fluid in the cyst being released into your abdomen. This fluid will be absorbed by your body and the pain will eventually go away.

With so much gynecological cancer in your immediate family, I was wondering if you have been tested for the BRCA gene to see if you have it ? Having the gene would not necessarily dictate that you will get cancer but it would certainly increase your risk and you and your doctor would have to discuss possible options. Are you being followed by a physician ? If not, you certainly should be. With your family history you should begin screenings such as mammograms, ultrasounds etc.. much earlier than most (depending upon the age that your relatives were diagnosed).

Why not make an appointment with your doctor asap to discuss these issue with him or her ?

I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

missy502 HB User
Re: Ovarian Cysts & Fallopian Tube Fluid

Thank you for your reply. I went to the ER today b/c the pain got really bad and I started vomiting and running fever. I assumed it was ruptured cysts or torsion. They did an ultrasound and found that I still had one of the cysts, about 6 cm. They also found that my right fallopian tube was filled with fluid. The ER doctor said he didn't knwo why, but I was to call my GYN tomorrow. So, I came home. Has anyone every heard of fluid-filled fallopian tubes? He said that this was most likely causing my pain. How is this usually treated?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Ovarian Cysts-Should I go to ER?

Hello Missy,

Glad to hear that you went to the ER to have things looked at. If they only found the one 6 cm cyst remaining on your ovary then the other large one of 7 cm must have burst and caused all of this pain and vomiting.

Yes I have heard of fluid in the fallopian tubes and sometimes this is seen as an ovarian cyst on the ultrasound (ie. they think they see an ovarian fluid filled cyst when in actual fact it is a fallopian tube that is blocked and filled with fluid). There are a few reasons why this may happen such as perhaps an infection which blocks the tubes or endometriosis etc.. They will probably have to do an exploratory laparoscopy to actually define the problem and fix it.

Make that appointment with your gyne asap and explain the situation. You do not want to wait too long and risk loosing one of your fallopian tubes, especially if you want to have children someday (although you will be able to conceive with the other).

I am concerned about your family history of gynecological cancers. Be proactive so that you never have to face what your mother, grandmother and aunts had to face. You may very well be carrying the BRCA gene which would put you at significantly higher risk and should change the way in which your doctor performs his or her regular screenings. Get tested and if you are not a carrier of this gene then you will know that you are at increased risk due to your family history but not at a significantly higher risk because of the gene. If you are a carrier then you will have to make a serious decision about perhaps having your ovaries removed and getting regular ultrasounds of your pelvis and your breasts (having your ovaries removed would significantly reduce your risk but not completely eliminate it as this type of cancer can sometimes occur in the peritoneal area of the pelvic cavity .. ie. the wall lining). Younger women are not great candidates for mammograms because the breast tissue is more dense at this age and it is therefore more difficult to differentiate one thing from another. Ultrasounds on the other hand are a much better tool for the younger woman. Keep this in mind when you are planning to get tested.

I strongly urge you to consider this issue very seriously in light of the fact that most of the women in your family have had a gynecological cancer and you yourself have a history of cancer. Ignoring the issue will not make it go away and I know how tempting it can be to simply not think about it (even though it's always in the back of your mind). Inform yourself and be proactive so that you can live a wonderfully long and healthy life. You will feel so much better having the regular screenings that you need and knowing that if, God forbid, you ever get the disease, you can fight it at an early stage and therefore win (!).

Take good care of yourself.

Closed Thread