It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

lmwells2001 HB User
Complex ovarian cyst messuring 2.5cm

I recently visited the Er and had a Transvaginal Ultrasound. They found a 2.5 cm anerchoic lesion within it a few septations. There is also a nabothian cyst within the cervix. What does this mean? The just said that I need to see my GYN asap.

Last edited by lmwells2001; 01-15-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: too long before

Old 01-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Complex ovarian cyst messuring 2.5cm

Hello lm,

I assume the lesion they found was on one of your ovaries ? (you mention complex ovarian cyst in your posting title but not in your posting). I believe that septations means that there are walls within the lesion (or complex cyst). Your gynecologist will most likely recommend that you have either a laparoscopy or a laparotomy done in order to remove it and have it examined. Usually cysts, even complex ones, turn out to be benign but with any kind of solid tissue they always want to be sure by examining the cell structure. As to the cervical cyst, I was wondering if you are up to date with your pap smears ? I am not sure what a nabothian cyst is but a quick ****** search should shed some light. More than likely, this will have to be removed as well. You will need to get in touch with your gyne as soon as possible in order to discuss all of this with him or her.

All the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
(female)

lmwells2001 HB User

Well I visited my GYN today. Right now she is putting me on high doses of hormones to stop my bleeding and see if the cyst will shrink on it's own. I go back to the Dr.'s at the end of Feb to get another ultrasound done then go from there. And yes I am up to date with all my paps and so far. Thanks for the information and I can let you know how things go.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi lm,

You did not mention the bleeding problems in your first post. Are you having irregular bleeding problems in addition to the cysts ? Also, are you pre or post menopausal ? Did the gyne put you on birth control pills by any chance ? Of course, the bleeding might very well be due to the cervical cyst.

Birth control pills used to be thought to help reduce cysts but a number of recent gynecological studies have shown that b/c pills do nothing to help with this condition and that watchful waiting without any treatment is just as effective. I don't wish to scare you but waiting and follow up is normally always done with simple fluid filled cysts but complex cysts such as yours are a little more worrisome. It's a real dilemma because although malignant cysts will most often take the form of complex cysts, most complex cysts that show up are still benign. Complex cysts are therefore a bit of a grey area and most physicians usually prefer to have these removed and biopsied just to be sure that they are not dangerous. My sister in law, for example had a 12 cm complex cyst that when removed was found to be benign. Perhaps your gyne saw something in the report that led him or her to believe that waiting might be a better option for you ? For example, chocolate cysts are ones with blood inside them that sometimes look solid on an ultrasound .. these are most often not dangerous. I myself have a 7.5 cm simple fluid filled cyst that had remained unchanged for two months after the first ultrasound discovered it (I had an ultrasound because I was experiencing irregular bleeding and pelvic pain .. going OFF the pill which I had been on for about 20 years, fixed this problem, but the u/s found another one). If my cyst begins to grow larger, I will have to have surgery to remove it.

Have you had a CA-125 test suggested to you ? This is a test which measures the amount of a certain cancer antigen that is associated with ovarian cancer. The problem with this test is that sometimes it can be elevated for purely benign reasons and show normal when early cancer is present (usually cancer at a later stage will show up on this test and it is used to follow ovarian cancer patients' response to chemotherapy). Perhaps the test might be worth mentioning to your doctor.

I hope you get a resolution to this asap. All the best.

Closed Thread