It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

brida HB User
Red, raw vulva...

Hello there..

So theres kind of a back-story to this, but I do want advice, so hear me out :P

I was at university today and there was no TP in the stall I was in so I had to wipe with a napkin I had in my pocket.
Ever since, I've felt kind of raw down there.

I went to the restroom just now and it stung, i got a mirror and looked and it looks as though I might have rubbed myself raw with the napkin? I'm not sure if that's why, but I am very raw and red in just one spot in the folds of my vulva.

I'm a very clean person, I take showers daily. I am also almost always very moist down there and I shave weekly.

My questions:
-Could it be the napkin that I used, I rubbed too hard and the napkin was too rough?
-I did have intercourse yesterday, it wasn't vigorous, but could he have rubbed me wrong?
-Could it be an std? I've only been with one man, but things happen.
-What should I do to keep it clean so it will heal without infection?

Sorry if this was too much information, I just want to know what I should do.
Thanks, Amanda.

Last edited by brida; 01-24-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Red, raw vulva...

it's probably just a little irritated. I'd take a hot bath and throw some epsom salts in there, maybe a few days in a row.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
(female)

brida HB User

Am I safe to use my regular soap? Or should I avoid that until it heals?

Also, the area is really deep in, where it won't get much oxygen or dryness. Would that keep it from healing, constant moisture?

it hurts really bad!

Last edited by brida; 01-24-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

do you think you have a yeast infection? sometimes that can cause those symptoms too. do you have any itching? I'd still try the epsom salt baths. I think you can probably use your regular soap, as long as it doesn't bother you. If it does, maybe try something more gentle. Also loose fitting cotton underwear. If it doesn't seem to be getting better in a couple days, maybe call your gynocologist

Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Soap and water are fine and at bedtime leave open to the 'air' If you have a little ointment ...like maybe some bag balm or A&D or a little antibiotic ointment on the spot might help during the day. If you think you might of rubbed yourself too hard when you wiped yourself then you might want to rethink how you do wipe. Gentle pats are better than rubbing when you pee.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Maybe the napkin caused irritation and then the intercourse ADDED to that. Definitely possible. If there is redness and discomfort, that could also be a yeast infection.

I'd just be extra gentle for now.. don't have sex until it gets better or it will continue to hurt. Make sure to wear soft cotton underwear while this is healing. I do think that sensitive areas can take time to heal. I find that if I ever get tears below from sex, using a tiny dab of lubricant can help prevent friction on that area, making it worse, but not sure if this would work in your case.

You could probably use your normal soap, but make sure it's unscented and very gentle. Maybe mix it with water so it's diluted.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
(female)

TakingItAllIn21 HB User

I would definitley stay away from a bath (the water and tub harbor bacteria) which will invite infection should you have the slightest bit of an open sore. Use some type of antibiotic oitmnet such as neosporin 3-4 times a day. No hydrocortizone cream, that will burn. keep the area dry (as much as possible) and wear cotton underware (they breathe better). Keep an eye on it, it should heal in a couple of days, if not i would go to the gyn.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

like takingitallin said, i would stay away from a hot bath and soap. both of those things could further dry out the skin and cause more irritation. i doubt it would be an actual cut from the napkin so maybe try something like vagisil. i agree that if it continues or gets worse it's probably a yeast infection, which can be treated with a prescription by your gyno (1 day) or over the counter meds. don't have sex and try to sleep without underwear at night to let that area breathe

Old 01-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
(female)

brida HB User

Is it okay to use neosporin, it says it's for external use only...

And I was looking at photos of herpes just to rule it out, it doens't look like herpes AT ALL. which is good.

It doesn't really look like a yeast infection either (I searched for photos of that too...). I don't have the curd-like discharge, there isn't any scent. Although there is a little bit of itching that has been persisting for a week or so, which i didn't know was a symptom of a yeast infection. It does look more like a yeast infection then herpes.

I suppose we'll see. I'll keep it dry and clean and if it's not better in a couple days, I'll see my gyno.

Thank you ladies for your help

Closed Thread