It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

etbukatie HB User
Ovarian cysts: Can they cause hot flashes?

I am 21 yr. old and have a cyst approximately the size of a softball on my right ovary. I am currently waiting for my next ultrasound in March. I have been cold one minute, then hot the next, could this be caused by the cyst? My cyst was first found in November and was 2.5 cm. It is now 10.5 cm, and this is just two months. Do they typically keep growing? I'm wondering if by March it will have grown more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Ovarian cysts: Can they cause hot flashes?

Hello,

When did you find out that the cyst had grown to 10.5 cm ? Just recently ? Do you know why they have decided to wait until March ? Normally a cyst that size is removed. Is it perhaps a simple fluid filled cyst and they think that it might still resolve on its own ? Unfortunately, those things can grow quite large and at some point they do have to think about removing them since they can take up too much space and press on other organs like the bladder and the colon. They can also torse and twist the ovary when they are too big.

As to your hot and cold periods, perhaps you should discuss this with your doctor. I suppose it would depend on what type of cyst you have. I know that some types can increase certain hormones in the body. In addition, your ovaries regulate hormones along with your pituitary gland so perhaps this may have something to do with it as well. Try to chart when during your menstrual cycle you feel these "flashes". Perhaps they coincide with your ovulation or your period. In general, your body will produce more estrogen from the beginning of your period until ovulation and then more relative progesterone from your ovulation until your next period. Ovulation normally occurs about 10-14 days after the start of your period and your period occurs about 14 days after ovulation.

I myself have a 7.5 cm fluid filled cyst. At least this is what it was in mid November and in mid September. My next ultrasound is in mid February so we will see if the thing is gone, the same or (hopefully not) bigger. Ideally it is best not to have to have surgery but if these things become too large then removing them is the best option. They can aspirate them (ie. suck out the fluid) transvaginally (through the vagina) but I have read that in this case their is a high risk of their reforming so all you are doing is delaying the inevitable.

Let's hope that both our cysts disappear at our next ultrasound. Fingers crossed !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
(female)

etbukatie HB User

The cyst was 2.5 cm. in November, in January the ultrasound showed it was 10.5 cm. I chose to wait until March because I am currently in school and can not keep missing. Spring break was the first time I can miss again. Thank you so much for your reply.

By the way, they do want to take it out, but while I'm in school, I will just have to suffer through the pain. This is my last semester of actual class work. Next semester I will be student teaching and graduating. I don't want to delay that.

Last edited by etbukatie; 02-06-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Old 02-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you know if you will be having a laparoscopy or a laparotomy ? From what I hear, a laparoscopy has a very quick recovery time and you should be able to get back to school in about 5-6 days. A laparotomy is a bit of a longer recovery time but being young is definitely in your favour and this should shorten your recovery considerably.

Are your doctors OK with the fact that you want to wait until March to have it removed ? I guess since it is not symptomatic it is not a problem to wait. I have heard that it is always wise to increase your fibre (with plenty of water) intake after surgery due to the constipating effects of the anaesthesia drugs. Some people take stool softeners as well. Just be advised as sometimes doctors forget to mention this little bit of info and it causes undo discomfort which can easily be prevented.

Godspeed with the surgery and I hope you're back on your feet in no time.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again,

Just noticed in your last post that you mentioned being in pain. I hope it is tolerable for you and that doctors are helping you to keep it at bay. Usually ibuprofen is the best thing for this type of pain (Advil, Motrin etc..) but be careful how much you take. My doctors have also said that if you take the pills as soon as you start to feel the pain, it is better as it is easier to control this type of pain at the beginning rather than wait until it has escalated. Hang in there.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
(female)

etbukatie HB User

I don't know what type of surgery I will be having. My biggest complaint about pain is my back, it throbs continuously. As for pain at the site of the cyst, it is fine. I am having trouble completely emptying my bladder, is this normal wth a cyst?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
(female)

lillouisiana318 HB User

hi,i have a that problem to.im only 24 and weigh 94.6 pounds,im anemic, and have a cyst on my ovaries.and i really don't know what to do at all.my periods last months at a time without a break and birth control does not help. do you konw what can i do about it. and i hope you can get yours fixed to.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi girls,

Yes most definitely a large cyst may cause bladder problems if it presses on that organ. You may have to empty your bladder more frequently or have trouble emptying it depending upon how things are situated in there. You will have to assess the situation at your next ultrasound.

You should also find out what type of cyst you have. A fluid only filled cyst is called a simple cyst and is the least likely to be dangerous. Complex and Solid cysts are usually looked at more closely as cancers often present themselves in this manner. However, even complex and solid cysts often turn out to be benign and there are various types of complex and solid cysts that are most likely benign such as chocolate cysts (cysts with blood), teratomas (which contain hair and teeth) etc.. The ultrasound would have been able to tell what type of cyst you have and this information should be in the report. Of course another huge factor in your favour is age. If your cyst is fluid filled it could very well be a corpus luteal cyst which is the left over "shell" of an egg that has been released which closes up and begins to fill with fluid. These things can grow to be quite large.

You should discuss this with your doctor, along with the type of surgery that will be performed. It is your right to be informed about these things and this can help you to prepare so that you don't have any surprises afterwards.

I am certain that your procedure will not take that much time out of your schedule and you will be up and about in no time at all so don't worry about missing huge amounts of school.

Closed Thread