It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

etbukatie HB User
Cyst makes you look pregnant?

What is the size of an ovarian cyst that you can start noticing a change in the body? For example, I have heard that some get so big that people look somewhat pregnant. Has anyone ever had this happen and if so what size was your ovarian cyst when this happened?

Last edited by etbukatie; 02-07-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Cyst makes you look pregnant?

Hi,

Yes since ovarian cysts can grow to extremely large sizes, they can make you look pregnant and many women wait too long before going in to see a doctor. I still remember a friend of mine having an ovarian cyst which grew to the size of a melon before she decided to go and see a doctor. Since it was a teratoma they could not aspirate it before removal and they had to make a larger zipper type incision in order to remove it. Had she gone in sooner she may have gotten away with a simple laparoscopy.

If you are concerned about this you should go in to see your doctor to get a pelvic exam. A large cyst may very well be palpable with a simple pelvic exam (depending on your size). Keep in mind that looking pregnant can also be caused by severe bloating due to ascites (fluid in the abdomen) and not necessarily by a cyst. Only your doctor will be able to truly assess your situation and recommend an appropriate course of action. An ultrasound and / or a CT scan may also be necessary but these are quick and painless.

The best of luck and let us know how things go at the doctor's.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I think it would have to be pretty huge. a couple years ago, I had an ovarian cyst that was 9 cm. -- pretty big. it basically filled up the area between my hips. but it didn't show at al from tbhe outside, and i'm of an average weight, so it would have been noticable if it was big enough.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi,

I have an ovarian cyst on my left ovary that is 7.5 cm and I nothing shows at all. In addition, because I am 5'10" and weigh 200 lbs (I also have a large frame) the doctors were unable to feel it. A cyst that would make you look pregnant would have to be much larger, more like 20 cm, in order to make you look pregnant. However, as I mentioned, bloating to the extent that you look pregnant can also be from ascites. A friend of mine had this condition and when she finally went to see a doctor, they aspirated about 33 lbs of fluid from her abdomen. A cyst is therefore not the only thing that will make you look pregnant. If this is your case, I urge you to go see a medical professional to have it checked out. Getting it checked out sooner rather than later is definitely the way to go.

Closed Thread