It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Preventing yeast infections while on antibiotics

How can I prevent a yeast infection while taking Amoxicilian? I'm taking this antibiotic for a sinus infection. I've been taking Probiotics and eating lots of yogurt...I still ended up with a yeast infection while doing this last year. Is there anything else I can do?? Thanks!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Preventing yeast infections while on antibiotics

You either arent taking a strong enough probiotic, or areant taking enough of it.
I take acidophilus- which is strictly to give the body "good bacteria". I take it 3 times a day when Im on antibiotics, and only 2 times a day the rest of the time. Make sure you are eating plain yogurt, it can be low fat or fat free, but the sugary types with fruit and 'extras" in it wont help you...plain yogurt - about a cup a day will prevent, and 2 cups a day to help cure.
good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you! Am I supposed to be refrigerating the acidophilus? It says to keep in a cool, dry place...I had bought one last year and it actually said to refrigerate.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I do, but I know people who dont..depends on the heat/humidity in your home..right now, its winter here, and very cold- but my heat is on about 72 degrees all the time, so I keep everything which says keep in a cool dark place refrigerated. In the summer months, it necessary.....whatever you think is best- but definately do NOT store it on top of the refrigerator or in a cabinet near the stove/oven! Refrigerating Cant hurt it...but will you remember to take it? I make myself take it the second I go downstairs, or I do forget on occasion.
ANother thing- do they have the probiotic yogurt drinks where you live? They come in little 3 oz plastic jugs...I down one of those every morning now- they come in 4 packs and I drink a bottle a day for 4 days and then skip the next few days until I buy another 4 pack. If I drink too much of it, it affects my stomache and stools- 4 bottles a week is working for me...this is ON TOP OF The probiotics I take 2x a day..
Hope this helps ya....good luck!
Nikki

Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know if they have the drinks or not. I will definitely look for them now that I know they're available. I hate the taste of plain yogurt! Maybe this is my problem...
Thank you so much for your help, MSNik. It definitely puts my mind at ease!

Closed Thread