It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
(female)

nikki888 HB User
hot flashes at 25?

can the birth control pill cause hot flashes?

i have been on diane for about three years now (and on a few others for about 5 years before that), and for the past 8 or 9 months i have been having terrible hot flashes, a severe intolerance to the heat, and often wake up at night drenched in sweat. i used to be one of those people who was cold all the time, and now even in -10 degree weather i cannot tolerate wearing a sweater.

could it be the pill that is causing this? if not, what else? i am too young for menopause (only 25).

Last edited by nikki888; 02-26-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
(female)

nikki888 HB User
Re: hot flashes at 25?

does anyone else have hot flashes and are not in menopause? i can't find anything that correlates them to the pill, but i can't imagine what else it could be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi Nikki:

Sorry to hear about the hot flashes at your age. The only thing I can think of is a possible benign or simple cyst on one of your ovaries. Have you seen your OB/GYN lately? He/She can easily do an ultr-sound to check.

The reason I think this might be the problem, is that these types of cysts can produce hormones or increase regular hormone production, and hormone surges can definetly cause hot flashes. Hope this helps & Good Luck, cmpgirl

Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

nikki888 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Hi Nikki:

Sorry to hear about the hot flashes at your age. The only thing I can think of is a possible benign or simple cyst on one of your ovaries. Have you seen your OB/GYN lately? He/She can easily do an ultra-sound to check.

The reason I think this might be the problem, is that these types of cysts can produce hormones or increase regular hormone production, and hormone surges can definitely cause hot flashes. Hope this helps & Good Luck, cmpgirl
thank you! are there any other symptoms that i would have with cyst? i have heard that cysts whilst on the pill are pretty rare, but it's worth a shot. i don't have a ob/gyn, but i had a pelvic exam a year ago from my GP and nothing showed up. i tried telling her about the hot flashes and she thought they were anxiety, but believe me, they don't feel like any anxiety i've ever felt!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Nikki:

Usually, cysts can't be "felt" or seen during a pelvic. It generally takes an ultra-sound. Pretty easy procedure....the only discomfort is that you have to drink a lot of fluids before hand to fill your bladder (makes it easier for the ultra-sound waves to "bounce" off your bladdder. It's such blessed relief when you finally get to pee!!

As to other symptoms...Some women have either sharp pains in the area of the ovaries, sometimes its a kind of tugging and/or burning feeling, kind of like you've pulled a muscle and some women feel it in their lower backs. Because I am so prone to the little buggers, I have experienced all of the above at one time or another. There can also be some bleeding between periods, on and off low grade fevers and kind of "ampped-up" PMS.

If you are not experiencing any of these, you might just be getting tolerant to the BC pills you've been on. It's been so long since I've taken them, I don't know much about whats out there now.

I hope this helps and I hope you find some resolution. Feel free to post any questions you have and I'll try to help. Take Care, cmpgirl

Closed Thread