It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

Jlynn444 HB User
Novasure ablation - nausea side effect after?

I'm scheduled for Novasure this coming week. I'm a little concerned about the stated side offect of nausea and vomiting immediately following the procedure. Has anyone had that? On their web site it says that is usually a side effect of the anesthesia, however it also says that this is done without anesthesia so I'm a little confused. Please advise....thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Novasure - Ablation any comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlynn444 View Post
I'm scheduled for Novasure this coming week. I'm a little concerned about the stated side offect of nausea and vomiting immediately following the procedure. Has anyone had that? On their web site it says that is usually a side effect of the anesthesia, however it also says that this is done without anesthesia so I'm a little confused. Please advise....thanks.
Hmm...I really don't see anyone having it done without anesthesia, local or general. Personally I wouldn't have had it done if I couldn't have had general, which I did.

I had no nausea or vomiting after the surgery. HTH!
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
(female)

Jlynn444 HB User

Hi, I was wondering how your procedure went? I'm scheduled for mine this week and am too worried about the anesthesia. Did you get sick from it? My doc said he could actually do an epidural on me if I preferred, and I think I might do that. I don't want to wake up puking! Let me know how yours went. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

Everyone's different but I had no puking or nausea, not even a little bit. Honestly, I seriously would NOT have wanted to be awake for the procedure!
PCOS

Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
(female)

Jlynn444 HB User

They do say "local" anesthesia, but in my mind that means numbing the general area down there, not putting you "out". I asked my doc if he could do an epidural on me instead and he said sure so we will see what happens!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I've had general anesthesia twice for different procedures. The point of the matter is that you tell the anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist that you're terrifed of getting sick when you wake up, and they can give you stuff before, during and after the anesthesia to make that not happen. Trust me, I'm the most vomit-phobic person you'll ever meet, and i was freaking out about it! But both times, although I was a little nauseated, i was fine and didn't feel like I needed to throw up at all. I was very emphatic with the doctors and told them that they'd better do everything they possibly can to stop it from happening, and they did.

As long as you tell everyone that you have a very weak stomach and you're prone to nausea/vomiting, they will do everything they can to prevent it from happening. You have to trust them at some point that they'll help you. Otherwise there's no point in even doing it. Because if you can't trust the anesthesiologist, who holds your life in his hands during the procedure while you're out, then there's no reason to even go through with it.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Novasure ablation - nausea side effect after?

I had the NovaSure done on January 10th....but I also had my tubes tied. I was obviously put under for the surgery. I did NOT have any puking or any problems at all from the Ablation. My belly button was incredibly soar, as that is where they did my tubal thru..but the ablation was great.
Only problem is, one month later, I got my period again. It was much lighter- only lasted a day or two at the most, but still-- I was hoping NOT to get it! OVerall, the ablation was NOTHING to worry about. I would definately recommend being put to sleep- your only under for less than 15 minutes.
Nikki

Old 02-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
(female)

Jlynn444 HB User

Thanks - that helps me a lot. I'm probably just like you on the vomit-phobic scale....I need to be put in a straight jacket when my kids get stomach flu. My doc didn't seem to think there would be any problem with doing an epidural on me rather than general anesthesia, along with sedatives. I think I will try that route. As long as I don't feel anything, and I'm comfortably "happy" I'm sure I will be fine. Especially since it is such a short procedure. I just hope that it works....statistics seem to indicate that the odds are in my favor. Thanks again for your input ----

Last edited by Jlynn444; 02-23-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Wow, you'd really rather have an epidural? I guess since you've had kids, maybe that's not as daunting, but I think I'd rather have them knock me out than to have them stick a giant needle into my spine!

But that's just me. If you're comfortable with an epidural, then go for it. I wish you luck!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Kind of have to agree with Kszan on this one. There is no way Id rather have an epidural. Ive had 2 spinal taps in my life, and theres no way Id volunterrily go thru that again! Its almost the same...
Being knocked out, by a vein in my hand/arm seems almost like a vacation comparatively speaking!
But whatever makes you comfortable, wishing you the best...and I know that NovaSure wont be an issue for you...I just hope it helps your issues which are causing you to have the procedure done to begin with.
I think its helped mine- but like I said, it didnt get rid of my period....not entirely.
best of the best to you.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
(female)

Jlynn444 HB User

Thanks so much....I've had two epidurals with my births. They differ from a spinal tap in that a tap has to go deep in and withdraw a large amount of fluid. Epidural is just injecting a numbing agent into a nerve. I dont know, maybe I'm crazy - but I just don't want to wake up nauseous. I'll be sure and let everyone know how it goes!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #12
(female)

Jlynn444 HB User

Well I got 'er done! And of course, once I got in the hospital they told me I could not have an epidural! I stressed for a moment, but they convinced me there were a ton of things they could give me to prevent nausea...and they did....and I was totally nausea FREE. Everything went great. Very bad cramps first day, no pain at all 2nd day. Still groggy from anesthesia, but that's ok. Some bleeding but not bad at all. We'll see how things end up over the next couple of months!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

See? I told ya so! I'm glad it all worked out for you. I'm telling you, the drugs they have now to combat nausea are really helpful. Any time you have to be put under general anesthesia, just always make sure to insist on them taking every possible necessary precaution against it, and they will.

I'm glad it worked out! Have a speedy recovery!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
(female)

Jlynn444 HB User

Yes, you were right!! Now if I can just get over this grogginess and fuzzy thinking...I feel like I'm drunk and it's the 3rd day..oh well!

Closed Thread