It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User
Thumbs down Early Period; Recent irregular menstration; HELP!!

I am 21 years old, have had a normal period for most of my history (28-30 days with minimal to no cramping), except for the past 3 or 4 months. 4 months ago, I was having what felt like "morning sickness" except it lasted all day until dinner time. This was going on for about 2 weeks straight, until I went to the doctors and got a pregnancy blood test - which was negative. (The "morning sickness" was my only other symptom.) I had a "weird" period then a few days later, light, brownish color.

The "sickness" went away for a few days, then came back, for about 3 weeks, where I couldn't stand it anymore, went back to the doctors, but this time, I had noticed frequent urination and mood swings. I started light spotting, 2 days before my period was due to start, and went to the doctors. It literally was a few drops of what looked like light brown/pink, a little heavier when wiped. We did another blood test, which came out negative, and the spotting proceeded to be darker, but nothing like my normal menstration.

Another month went by, this time with no sickness, no frequent urination, and "normal" mood swings (as with any female, ha ha.) It came time for my period, and it was normal time, but brown again, and heavier cramping.

Now, it being 2 weeks after my last "period" (I use quotations because it definately was a weird period..) I'm bleeding again. Started off with a few spots Saturday, noticed after intercourse with my husband. (Not when I "cleaned" myself off, but after urination about a half hour later.) It was progressively darker Sunday, and Monday, darker still... Still not a normal menstration - - - but nothing seems normal after the past few months I've had!!

We are not TRYING to concieve, but we're not TRYING to prevent it either. I'm just tired of dealing with weird periods. I feel like I may have miscarried during the months I felt "sick." Is that a possibility and is there any way to check that? And what really is the deal with this "implantation bleeding?" When during your cycle is this supposed to occur, if pregnant? I've heard a range of the day you ovulate, to at the time of your period, which some women mistake the implantation bleeding for menstration.

And, I know this sounds weird, but, I am putting the most vulnerable piece of me out here already... but my husband hadn't "finished" in me, up until about 5 months ago. I'm really going out on a limb here, but is it possible that my body is...... rejecting his "donation" (for lack of a more appropriate term) and taking it out in weird ways?

I admit.. I am one of those women who look for everything on the internet to get a quick answer, I'm just tired of dealing with my physician. I'm afraid she'll think that I'm TRYING to concieve or.. MAKE myself seem pregnant. (I really don't know what I'm afraid of...) Any advice would be well appreciated..

Last edited by cookiemunster65; 03-03-2008 at 06:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Early Period; Recent irregular menstration; HELP!!

Hey Cookiemunster:

Sorry your having a rough time of it. I can't tell you, for sure, but from what you wrote, it could be a few different things.

Did your doc do anything besides bloodwork? A pelvic exam, maybe? Your symptoms sound a little like you could have a cyst on one of your ovaries. Don't get scared...Most cysts are benign and harmless. Some women become prone to them (I am one) and there is a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). I'm very familiar with it. I was diagnosed 20 years ago.

Blood work won't show PCOS, but an ultra-sound can, as well as corresponding symptoms like irregular periods, lack of ovulation, higher than normal levels of testosterone (yes, women do have some testosterone) and also insulin resistance.

I'm not saying this is what you have, but in my opinion, if you are seeing a family physician so far, you might want to make an appointment with an OB/GYN. They are better qualified to diagnose you in a case like this.

Good luck and post back with what you find out. cmpgirl

Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

She only did more bloodwork to check liver and kidney function, along with anemia and gall bladder disease. She was more concerned about my "chronic nausea" then my menstral problems. She even refered me to a gastroenterologist, but I never went becuase my nausea stopped.

My family does have a slight history with cysts, but I've never had any other symptoms EVER with those. My doctor did have a PAP smear set up with me, which I had to cancel due to miscalculation of my cycle. The though of cysts had crossed my mind, but I saw how my mom and sister were with their periods and the pain they went through with the cysts, that I NEVER had. Like I said, I have minimal to no pain with my periods. Guess I lucked out!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Cookie:

I forgot to mention. I've never had any major pain from my cysts, either. Just some tightness or a tugging feeling once in a while (I'm knocking on every piec of wood around me! LOL) I know I'm very lucky, because many women have a lot of pain.

I've probably had hundreds of cysts of all sizes, over the years. Luckily for me I've never had one rupture. They usually shrink down slowly by themselves. You might not even have them, but your post sounded familiar. I was in my early 20's when I started. I would definitely see the GYN though, especially if other family members have had this. They still don't know if it's hereditary, but my 23 year old daughter gets checked all the time just in case. All the best, cmpgirl

Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

Thanks... definately got me thinking now... (I've been knocking on wood since my first post HAHA!!)

Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Cookiemunster,

See if you can get your doctor to schedule you for an ultrasound. Not all cysts go with pain. I have a cyst that is nearly 8 cm and I only experience a lot of pain during my ovulation. Also, you really want to get in for that pap smear, just to be sure. Irregular bleeding can also be due to your cervix and vagina. A pap smear and an endometrial biopsy would rule out any issues there. The ultrasound would be able to see not just any ovarian cysts but also fibroids or other growths in your uterus so this is an extremely helpful tool. Like your gyne, I too found it strange that you were nauseous for such a long time. Your symptoms sure sounded like early pregnancy but I imagine that you would know by now .. although if you had a miscarriage as you said ..

Get the ultrasound, pap and biopsy just to put your mind at rest.

All the best.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

Thanks, I'm scheduled for the gyno on March 18th, I will update everyone as we figure out what's going on in there...

Thanks again

Old 03-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

I went to the gyno yesterday for my appointment. I sat down and told her everything that was going on the past few months, and she didn't seemed too concerned. She did the pap, and an "inspection" and said everything felt normal. She wants me to get bloodwork done to check my hormone levels to see if that was the issues for the irregularity. I guess we will wait to see the results of the PAP, but other then that, I didn't get any real answers.

She mentioned nothing of a possible miscarriage, but that's the only thing (to my knowledge) that would cause the chronic nausea for 2months then suddenly stop. Who knows.. men are so lucky

Closed Thread