It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
(male)

Kimbo321 HB User
Exclamation No Period for 9 months -- last period was Black, not Preg. (Please help)

This is for someone really close to me. When she was 15 or so, she went a year without her period, but eventually it recovered. Well, 9 motnhs ago, she went through a hard breakup, and she was literally crushed. Her period then was black. And she hasn't had a period since. She turns 20 next month.

I keep telling her to go to a GYN, Doctor, anything , and she won't do it. Too scared it means she'll no longer be able to have kids, too scared that she'll have cancer, just a bunch of paranoia. I've tried to research this, and the only thing I could find was that it was stress related. It makes sense, but I don't know if there's serious problems with this.

And thats why Im here. Is there any big problems that can come out of this? What possibly can I tell her to go through with going to the doctor? On one hand, she's scared of finding out something.. so scaring her into it may not work, but perhaps it's the only way. Maybe if I tell her there's nothing extremely serious, and should check it out for minor things.. but I'd need to know that's true. I've always sucked at lying to to her face and she not figuring it out it was a lie.

Please help. This is such a huge thing on my head. It's terrible knowing I can't help a friend.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: No Period for 9 months -- last period was Black, not Preg. (Please help)

You can only help this friend by doing what you are doing and thats insisting she go for a exam...
If she doesnt and something happens down the road, who is she going to blame? Not you.
Black blood is usually a circulatory problem..Ive never heard of a black period- but I have seen people bleed black in their finger cuts and even toes...
Its not something which you want to play with, the not knowing...
She needs to see a doctor. They willl do both an internal exam and blood work...maybe you can get her to start with blood work? Most people arent as freaked out about that as they are a pelvic....suggest she go get a complete physical at a regular primary care doctor or clinic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User
Re: No Period for 9 months -- last period was Black, not Preg. (Please help)

The only thing that I could think of causing her to not get her period regularly is malnutrition. Is your friend anorexic or bulemic? Is she underweight for her height?

Also, I will occasionally have darker blood at the end or beginning of my period. I've heard that it is 'old' blood that lines the uterin wall but does not get expelled right away. So its usually from my last period but doesn't come out till the 2nd period, if that makes sense.

I would suggest telling her to go to the GYN just for peace of mind. And maybe suggest she ask her GYN about birth control to make her periods regular. If she is already freaked out, she probably won't respond well to someone scaring her into going to the doctor. Maybe you can suggest going with her.

Closed Thread