It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User
My Novasure/endometrial ablation experience

I got some good advice on these boards about the procedure when my doctor first mentioned it, so I thought I'd pass along my experience to hopefully help others.

I've had heavy menstrual bleeding since I went off the pill about 5 years ago. One day a month I'd go through one super plus tampon per hour. I had some accidents, of course. A few weeks ago I was bleeding so heavily, with really large clots, that I called the doctor after hours and asked if I needed to go to the ER (I didn't). We knew it was finally time for me to get the Novasure done.

Surgery day I couldn’t eat breakfast. I couldn’t since midnight the night before. I first went to the doctor's office. I got some follow up instructions, made my follow up appointment, and paid him my deductible. Then I was off to the outpatient day surgery center. My husband had to drive me there and home. I checked in, filled out paperwork, and then went to pre-op. The nurses there were so nice and familiar with the procedure. They put me at ease and were just awesome. A nurse took my weight, checked my blood pressure, etc., and then put me in bed. I had to take everything off except for the gown. I was really cold so they put 2 warm blankets over me. I was so comfortable I could have taken a nap!

I was on my period, so I went to the bathroom and removed my tampon before getting in bed. The nurse said you could wear a pad between your legs in the bed or just let them put big 1 foot x 2 foot pad/liner things down on the bed. It wasn't a big deal and she said it happens all the time and that many of the women get the procedure while they're bleeding, so don't be embarrassed about it at all.

Then they started an IV for the anesthesia. It really didn't hurt much because they sprayed something on my skin to take away some of the pain. First they put in antibiotics to help lessen the chance of infection. Then I just waited to go in to surgery. They brought my husband back in to hang out with me while I waited.

The anesthesiologist then came by to visit with me. She told me exactly what they would be doing, what kind of anesthesia they'd give me, how I'd feel, etc. Then my obgyn came by, visited with me for a bit, explained to my husband exactly what he was doing, and just checked up on me. I LOVE my obgyn!

Finally I was rolled into the ER. They put something in the IV and I was out. I woke up in post-op, sleepy but fine. It turns out that not only did I have the Novasure done, but a D&C as well because my doctor found a polyp in my cervix and a bunch in my uterus. Anyway, I had a bit of cramping but nothing like what I've had during my periods! After a bit I got up to use the restroom (a nurse had to walk with me), and came fully alert. Once I was fully up and about, the nurse helped me dress. She was so nice; she even put a pad in my underwear for me. I thought I'd be embarrassed about it but I wasn't at all. They're so used to this kind of thing and she really made me comfortable with it. I suggest wearing something really comfortable like sweats. I even wore a camisole in place of a bra because I knew it would be so much easier to put on when I was groggy. Once I was dressed, I sat in a recovery room chair thing while they brought my husband in to visit. We chatted a bit as the nurses checked on me occasionally for blood pressure, pain, etc. Then, they put me in a wheelchair and rolled me out to the car and I was on my way home!

From the time I was wheeled into the ER and the time I left the hospital was about 1 1/2 hours. The whole time in the ER was only about 15 minutes and my doctor said the Novasure zap only lasted 60 seconds. It was a breeze. They gave me a painkiller prescription for Vicodin to fill when I left but I shouldn't have filled it because I didn’t need it. (I do think I might have a bit of a higher tolerance to pain than some people, but I will use a pain killer when I need one. And believe me: I've needed one in the past with my periods!) Anyway, outside of immediately after the procedure, I’ve felt no pain at all. No bad cramps, no nothing!

I was really wanting to get some drive thru food on the way home but the mean nurse (ha ha) told me no. She said to go home and get some lighter, less greasy food like maybe scrambled eggs, toast, crackers, oatmeal, etc. She said that some people have nausea and vomiting after surgery and greasy or heavy meals bother them. Well, I did fine and could have really eaten anything I wanted, but better safe than sorry.

I had no cramping, no super heavy bleeding, no problems! I had my Novasure and D&C done 6 days ago. I’m still wearing a pad (no tampons or sex for 4 weeks, no heavy lifting for 3). I’m wearing a medium flow pad. I have a feeling that I’ll be wearing a panty liner next week. I have a discharge, but no blood in it anymore. The blood stopped yesterday and was never heavy at all. I really can’t see the discharge going on for 3-4 weeks as it seems to be tapering off already. But, who knows?

The biggest problem with me has been buying pads. I don’t wear pads, I’ve never worn them! I went to the store a few weeks ago to buy them and I must have been in that section for 20 minutes! Which one? How heavy is heavy? Can someone define “medium flow” v “regular flow”? Is a panty liner enough? Will people be able to see the pads through my clothes? Are wings really better than without? What is this “stay dry lining” I’m reading about? Help!!

If it matters, I’m wearing Stayfree dry max Ultra Thick regular pads with wings. Home of the “Qwik-dry top layer”. LOL. These seem to be a bit much, but I tried a panty liner a few days ago and it wasn’t enough. Other than that, they’re working well. Is there something between regular and light? If there is, I haven’t found it yet. Anyway, enough of my feminine hygiene dilemma.

As for side effects, my only one is tiredness. I hear that’s common after surgery, though. Your body is just so tired. I’ve been sleeping at least 10 hours a night and taking at least 1 hour naps a day. In one day (2 days afterwards) I slept for 12 hours and took a 3 hour nap that day! But, I’m working and carrying on with my usual routine outside of heavy lifting or overly strenuous tasks. I find that getting out and about is helping me get over the tiredness and get back to normal. Oh, my other side effect is that I feel like a lumpy blob because I really can’t get out and exercise like usual. I’m going to try slow walking next week and see how that goes. I’m used to being physical and having to limit myself is not only difficult but frustrating.

So, if you’re thinking about getting the Novasure done, I recommend it. It has been so amazingly simple and painless! If you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer as best I can.

Last edited by microwave; 03-25-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: My Novasure/endometrial ablation experience

Hey Microwave, FABULOUS NAME! I laughed when I read that... I too, had Novasure done recently, mine was Jan 10th...and I had the DNC done- however, I also had a tubal done. I wanted to be 100% sure that pregnancy could never happen...

My NovaSure experience is exactly like yours....almost totally word for word.
The only difference I had was day 1-3, I was in major pain, but thru my laproscopy (belly button) from the tubal, never vaginally or from the Novasure.
I did take a few percocette the first two days, but after that- nothing....because my surgery was all done thru the belly, and the NovaSure done vaginally, I can tell you that the bleeding- it was strange...the first week, i bled pretty good...needed a maxi pad....and at night, used an overnight one (which is like sleeping in a diaper- I never used pads either)...but by week 2 I was using panty liners all the time. Week 3, I stopped bleeding completely, and week 4 I found myself spotting again off and on and continued to use panty liners..it wasnt until about week 6 that I was completely off using them. I got the same instructions about no sex and no tampons....and I do have to tell you, my first time having sex- well, it actually hurt. USE LUBRICANT! Those small cells which are still flaking off, will probably cause you to bleed afterwards, i did for a day or two, and believe it or not, you really do feel soar...however, by the third time I had sex again I was back to normal.

Maybe its because I went off the pill, or maybe because I no longer fear getting pregnant, but sex is actually better than ever (8 weeks post op).

The big question, will I still get my period is something Im not sure I can answer yet...in fact, saw my GYN/surgeon today and he isnt sure either....because I was taking continuous birth control- I hadnt had a period in almost 3 months...had no idea where I was in the cycle when they did the procedure. Im guessing, that I should be having a period right about now, and I did experience some cramping about 10 days ago (ovulation?) but as of now, nothing..no blood! Last month, when I was pretty sure that I should be having my period, I was still healing- it was tough to tell what was going on because I really was bleeding off and on the entire month...but Ill tell you what- if I was having my period, it was the lightest its been in 20 years!

I too suffered anemia and incredibly heavy periods for the past 15 years...I also found out that I have MS 18 months ago and we now know that hormonal changes and blood loss contribute to MS relapses...explains alot over the past 5 years...so with that, going off the pill should help regulate my hormones (eventually) and not bleeding so much should control both the anemia and the hormonal surges!

Basically, if I had to tell my story, Id sum it up the same way. I think it was a great procedure, quick and easy and Id recommend it as well...
thanks for sharing your story.
Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
Chantal A (12-09-2010)
Old 03-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

UPDATE: it's now been 9 days since my procedure and the thing that I really notice is the fatigue. I'm still sleeping 10-12 hours a night and taking a nap during the day. I wonder when this will wear off? It does help if I walk or do some other light activity. The bleeding has pretty much stopped and now I just have a light discharge.

I hope this is helping someone!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

did you get a period after your biopsy? mine has been going for 5 days now and it is really bad im thinking about calling the dr my novasure is getting done on the 2nd im already very anemic thanks charlene

Old 03-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I had my Novasure done on the 5th day of my period, and I'm on day 16 of my cycle, so I'm not due to start my period for another week or so. I'll let you know what happens. I'm curious to see if I'll bleed or just have a discharge or nothing at all.

I was bleeding so heavily before I got the Novasure done, that my doctor gave me iron pills to take to prevent anemia. Are you taking iron?

Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

yes 28mg a day my blood is 8.5 since aug i had every scope possible nothing showed up so that is why im getting novasure im going to the blood dr friday because my normal blood is 9.9 i have thallasemia anemia on top of lack of iron women are generally 12 to 14 my dr told me at 7 i can go into heart failure so that is why i am so worried about bleeding so bad did you have the biopsy first ? thanks charlene

Old 03-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I never had a biopsy. My doctor and I have been discussing having the Novasure done for a few years, due to my heavy bleeding. One night I had really really heavy bleeding so I went to the doctor the first thing the next morning. He only did a regular vaginal exam to make sure there was no noticeable reason for the heavy bleeding. (for example: he said he had one patient who had a big polyp hanging out of her cervix, so he knew there was more going on than just heavy periods.) He saw no reason, so we scheduled the Novasure for 3 days later.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

wow no vaginal sonogram or biopsy? my dr told me it was manditory by law to make sure nothing is wrong before hand thanks for the reply hugs charlene

Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi girls. It was insisted that I have a pre-surgical ultrasound before my NovaSure...I had it both regular, and vaginally....I had had a endo biopsy about 2 months previous to the surgery, and it was all normal, so Im sure thats why that wasnt ordered again...but the ultrasound was neccessary for pre-op.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

I did have vaginal and pelvic ultrasounds about 3 years ago when I was having a lot of problems but they both came out normal. Maybe my doctor didn't order a new one because of that? Either way, I didn't have one right before my Novasure and it came out just fine.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
(female)

jill60 HB User
Smile Re: My Novasure/endometrial ablation experience

I had the Novasure a couple of yrs ago, it was completely painless for me. I even went to work that evening, although I do have a desk job. My dr. described this as bar-b-queing your uterus.
Unfortunately the procedure didn't work for me, I started bleeding for 24 days at a time afterwards. I opted to try this surgery first before a hysterectomy. I didn't have any unltrasound close to the surgery date, I did have one the yr before. I had fibroids & they evidentally they were too big for this surgery to work. My cousins had the thermal ablation at least 4 yrs ago & have never had a period since. I thought maybe I'd luck out & do that too!
Good luck with your outcome of this surgery

jill60

Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

microwave i'd like to thank you for your post and the other people who have replied hugs charlene

Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

UPDATE: it's now been 11 days since I got the Novasure done and I'm down to around 4 panty liners a day. Hooray! No more regular-sized pads for me!

Charlene, I'm glad this is helping!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Microwave- thats great, but I have to share with you that my bleeding completely stopped within 12 days...almost 2 months later, Im bleeding worse then I ever have before..im assuming its my period- I havent had one since the surgery, but Im most distraught right now. I thought these days were behind me...

Old 03-19-2008, 03:51 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Nikki: I hate to hear that is happenign to you. Have you seen your obgyn? What does s/he say about the heavy bleeding now? What are your options?

Closed Thread