It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Exclamation Failed Novasure?????

update: thought id share this with you all....my Novasure procedure was done on Jan 10th- because I had been on continous birth control for 4 months, I hadnt had a period and had NO Idea where in my cycle I was...in Feb, I was spotting quite a bit but my GYN said it was probably normal, post surgery type spotting and not to worry about it.

Today, at work, I had the biggest accident of my life...one minute I was walking into work feeling great, and the next, I had my period- all over the place. Because I wasnt expecting this at all and had no warning it was coming, I wasnt prepared...I ruined a pair of pants- and embarrassed myself. I had to go home to change....apparently NovaSure didnt work.....I have a fullfledged period, just like I did 3 months ago, prior to the surgery.
Very unhappy about this....anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User
Re: Failed Novasure?????

My doctor told me that the point of the Novasure is to prevent very heavy bleeding, called menorrhagia (which is defined as excesive menstrual bleeding of 7 or more days long or changing a tampon/pad almost hourly). He said that while many women don't have a period anymore after the procedure, many do, but the bleeding is not as heavy as to be considered menorrhagia. So, you can still have a period. Some women have a light period that only lasts a few days, for some it's heavier and lasts longer. So, I don't think you're Novasure "failed" unless you still have the same heavy bleeding as you did before getting it done.

I fully intend to continue charting my period until I reach menopause, so I won't have any accidents and I will still know my fertile times (don't want to have an 'oops' baby! even though the odds are very slim)

Last edited by microwave; 03-18-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI and thanks for your thoughts on this....unfortunately, charting the period has been almost impossible...I was on continuous birth control, so I didnt get a period for months prior to the surgery...then didnt have a period the month OF the surgery, but I had a D&C, so I suppose that makes sense....now, a month later- boom. A very heavy, very seriously uncomfortable period and yes its as heavy if not heavier than its ever been.

As for the birth control factor, I had a tubal the same time I had the novaSure, so im praying that at least worked!

I hope you have continued good recovery...and I still love your name!
Nikki

Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
(female)

jill60 HB User

Are your periods lighter than what they were before? Like Microwave said you may still have a period but lighter. I had novasure done in july of 06, trying this option before having a hysterectomy. It didn't work for me, I started bleeding for 24 days at a time. My cousins had also had this done & neither of them has had a period since.

jil60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
update: thought id share this with you all....my Novasure procedure was done on Jan 10th- because I had been on continous birth control for 4 months, I hadnt had a period and had NO Idea where in my cycle I was...in Feb, I was spotting quite a bit but my GYN said it was probably normal, post surgery type spotting and not to worry about it.

Today, at work, I had the biggest accident of my life...one minute I was walking into work feeling great, and the next, I had my period- all over the place. Because I wasnt expecting this at all and had no warning it was coming, I wasnt prepared...I ruined a pair of pants- and embarrassed myself. I had to go home to change....apparently NovaSure didnt work.....I have a fullfledged period, just like I did 3 months ago, prior to the surgery.
Very unhappy about this....anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by jill60; 03-18-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

If you're bleeding that heavily, then I'd call the doctor and see if everything is alright. I hope it's all okay!

Nikki: thanks for loving my name! I was stumped on a username, looked into the kitchen and saw the microwave, and well, the rest is history.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Jill, hi...my periods are NOT any lighter then they were before; however Ive only had one since the surgery....any chance that next month it will stop or be lighter? My doctor doesnt seem to know for sure...he just keeps reiterating that it doesnt work for everyone....

Microwave, you might have been looking in the kitchen, but considering what we had done to our uterine linings- microwave seems pretty logical as a screen name! My husband kept telling me prior to the surgery that they were going to "nuke" my insides....lol.

Appreciate the comments from both of you.....but really- why did I have to be the 1 in 5 which this doesnt work for??

Jill, did you go thru with the hysterecomy? I dont want to face that- but I know its going to happen sooner or later.

Nikki

Old 03-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Microwave, you might have been looking in the kitchen, but considering what we had done to our uterine linings- microwave seems pretty logical as a screen name! My husband kept telling me prior to the surgery that they were going to "nuke" my insides....lol.
LOL - I never even thought about it that way. Too funny!

Quote:
Appreciate the comments from both of you.....but really- why did I have to be the 1 in 5 which this doesnt work for??
Is the 'failure' rate really that high? Either way, at least did the least invasive procedure first before going to something more dramatic.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
(female)

jill60 HB User

I do remember my Dr. telling me to give the ablation 3 months before it may start working.
I did have my Hysterectomy on 02/07. I just could not take the bleeding 24 days in a row. I was starting to get UTI's, which I had never had before which I figured was from wearing the pads & tampons for so long. I ended up having a LAVH, I had my bladder put in a sling also. The urologist said I didn't need it right then but after my uterus is out he said my bladder would fall & I would be back in a year or two, I said I am not coming back, he thought it was a good idea to go ahead & do the bladder. While I was in surgery my Dr. had found that my rectum had fallen into my vagina so he had to stitch that all up (don't know medical term) my uterus was so big he had to cut in half to deliver it. All this caused my surgery to be 1 & 1/2 hrs longer. Ovaries were not looking good so he took those also. I did lose 13lbs withing 2 wks after the surgery!
If you have surgery down the road if all possible KEEP your ovaries!
I do know someone that has MS & had a LAVH this past November & she did great with her surgery.

good luck!
Jill

Quote:
Jill, hi...my periods are NOT any lighter then they were before; however Ive only had one since the surgery....any chance that next month it will stop or be lighter? My doctor doesnt seem to know for sure...he just keeps reiterating that it doesnt work for everyone....

Jill, did you go thru with the hysterecomy? I dont want to face that- but I know its going to happen sooner or later.

Nikki

Last edited by jill60; 03-19-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Thanks girls....Jill its good to hear there is one benefit besides no more periods- weight loss! My mother had a partial hysterectomy a few years ago and she too, keeps saying "keep your ovaries". Im guessing you guys have real good reasons for that, all I can understand from mom is it delays early menopause...
and yes, the failure rate is 1 out of 5 that the novasure doesnt work....according to what I read in the doctors office...and what he again told me when I went there is tears the other day...

but no one ever told me to give it 3 months...thats interesting since Im into month 3..maybe 4 will be better...will keep you posted.

hugs and thanks girls.
Nikki

Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I just wanted to add that, my first period after the last 3 D&C's I've had were all pretty heavy. But then subsequent periods got more normal again. It's just an observation I noted and I wanted to add.

I just think it's too soon for you to really tell for sure whether it's going to lighten your periods. You really just need to give it some time and see how it is in a couple of months after you've had a few periods.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

I just think it's too soon for you to really tell for sure whether it's going to lighten your periods. You really just need to give it some time and see how it is in a couple of months after you've had a few periods.

Thanks Kzcan,
However, since the goal of the surgery is to eliminate periods entirely- and my MS depends on that- this wait and see game isnt really the way things were supposed to turn out. My doctor is calling this a failure at this point and is considering re-doing the whole procedure...im giving it one more month to see what happens. Ive now been bleeding for 4 days extremely heavily and with that going into a MS relapse...not a pretty picture!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
(female)

jill60 HB User

Nikki, if you keep your ovaries, & they continue to work you slowly quit producing estrogen & testosterone. If you have them removed, it would throw you into surgical menopause, which is like hitting a brick wall. One day you have you're ovaries producing, the next day they are gone & no hormones!

Jill60

Quote:
Thanks girls....Jill its good to hear there is one benefit besides no more periods- weight loss! My mother had a partial hysterectomy a few years ago and she too, keeps saying "keep your ovaries". Im guessing you guys have real good reasons for that, all I can understand from mom is it delays early menopause...
and yes, the failure rate is 1 out of 5 that the novasure doesnt work....according to what I read in the doctors office...and what he again told me when I went there is tears the other day...

but no one ever told me to give it 3 months...thats interesting since Im into month 3..maybe 4 will be better...will keep you posted.

hugs and thanks girls.
Nikki

Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
(female)

ashweb HB User

Quote:

Thanks Kzcan,
However, since the goal of the surgery is to eliminate periods entirely- and my MS depends on that- this wait and see game isnt really the way things were supposed to turn out. My doctor is calling this a failure at this point and is considering re-doing the whole procedure...im giving it one more month to see what happens. Ive now been bleeding for 4 days extremely heavily and with that going into a MS relapse...not a pretty picture!
Nikki, is it possible that it didn't work for you because he had the "zapper" on for 60 seconds rather than 90, which is quoted in the brochure.....you might just ask him that to see what his reaction is.

Ashley

Old 05-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

NO, Im absolutely postiive that my doctor performed the procedure the way it was supposed to be done..I had a tubal at the same time. The doctor is very aware that of the hundreds of NovaSures he has performed, about 1/3 of the people are stating that they are still having periods. It is possible that becasue I have MS, that is causing some of the complications..

Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

I'm surprised that your doctor calls it a "failure" if a woman has a period after the Novasure. I have the Novasure brochure, and it says that most women will have a "significant reduction" in their levels of menstrual bleeding. They say that many women report no bleeding afterwards, and that a "majority" had reduced down to a light or moderate period. They don't guarantee that it will eliminate periods completely.

Regardless, I'm sorry your having such problems especially with the MS. I imagine this whole thing is quite scary for you. Have you thought about going back on the pill? Is that an option?

Closed Thread