It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

kittywake HB User
Delaying period / Birth Control pills

My husband and I are going away for a nice weekend away, only the weekend falls on the tail end of my period next month. I take birth control pills. Is there a way I can mess with it a bit, in a safe manner, to either have my period early or really late? I've never actually done anything like that before so I am not too sure what to do.

I'd hate to waste a jacuzzi suite because of my period. Heh.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Delaying period / Birth Control pills

Where are you at in your pill pack right now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
(female)

kittywake HB User

I am on the first week still. I go Sunday to Sunday. I am on thursday. Heh.

Normally, I don't care. Heck, I had surgery on Wednesday of last week and my period started the same day. I didn't try and delay that as much as that was a nuisance. Haha.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

You can bring an extra pack of pills with you and just continue to take them until you return home... or until you get to the sugar pills for that matter. My GYN had me taking 3 packs in a row, skipping the sugar pills to try and suppress mine (medical reasons), however it didn't work very well for me. You may have break through bleeding but if it were me, I'd give it a try. As far as I understand it's safe. That's all those pills that are marketed to give you a period 4x a year are... no sugar pills until the 3rd month.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

kittywake HB User

My husband figured that if I sacrificed a pack and took the 3rd week after my current 3rd week that it should work because the amounts of whatever is in the pills would be the same. If I went from week 3 back to week 1, the levels of ingredients in the pills would change.

My only problem is I don't have any packs to spare. LOL

Old 03-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Which brand of pill are you taking?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
(female)

kittywake HB User

Tricyclen 28 day. I've been taking them for a number of years now. Like... 5 or so.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's not as easy to skip when you're on a triphasic pill. It might not work. You can try to take a new pack and just take the last week of your new pack, but that doesn't always work. You still might get some breakthrough bleeding or spotting. Skipping really works a lot better with a monophasic pill that has the same level of hormones throughout the month. When you start messing with the triphasic pills, it messes up everything and you might just have some kind of bleeding regardless, if you try to skip.

It's better really to plan way far ahead and try it first many months before the actual event to see how it works. And then you'd know. It's too bad you waited so long to try it because now you won't know what's going to happen until it's too late. I'd bring extra pads/tampons along just in case.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
(female)

kittywake HB User

*nod* I figured there isn't much I can do. It's too bad really. A jacuzzi suite in the mountains makes for a romantic weekend. Especially a month after my surgery I can use something nice like that.

That's alright. If it happens it happens, I can deal with it.

I wonder if I could skip taking the last two or three pills for the last week and get my period early so it is done before I go away?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
(female)

kittywake HB User

OK. So my weekend is fast approaching and here is what I did.

Last Wednesday I took my Wednesday pill as normal and then I just stopped taking them. I skipped Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I figure based on my usual schedule I would get my period either today or tomorrow. Well, I woke up this morning with my period. So now I just have to hope it will stop on Friday and then I should be good to go for Sunday and Monday.

I hope it all works out to my plan. Hehe.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

The best thing to do is to skip the "sugar" week of pills and immediately start with your new pack.

If you start taking pills out of order you're going to throw your hormones off cycle and are more likely to get your period or have spotting.

If I have something coming up and don't want to get my period I throw away the sugar pills and just start taking the new pack of pills beginning with the first pill. Most doctors say that its totally fine to skip your period. Have you heard of the birth control seasonale? It's essentially any other type of pill except they cut out the sugar pills for 3 months so you only get your period 4 times a year.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
(female)

kittywake HB User

Well, I basically determined after talking to several people that the type of pills I am taking aren't easy to skip my period due to the different hormone levels each week. I figured the best thing would be to coax my period to come a few days earlier and leave a few days earlier. Then I will be good to go. Heh.

If it doesn't work, then it is OK. I will just deal with it. Heh.

I've heard of that one, but I've never asked about it. I was thinking about asking my doctor about it, but I figure I should read about it first. Heh.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Definitely if you want to try skipping, it tends to work better with a monophasic pill. When you start messing with a triphasic, that really messes some women up for a few cycles.

Just remember that the way you did it, you won't be protected from pregnancy, because you didn't take the full pack of pills, so you'll have to use backup protection, unless you are ok with possibly getting pregnant.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
(female)

kittywake HB User

Oh yea, I know that for sure. Back up is the plan, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got pregnant. We are married. Haha. We just want to buy a new car and pay off more of our house before we have kids. Probably two years to go. Hehe.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I do this all the time with my monophasic pill! It's definitely worth looking into if it's something you feel you will need to do more often... or one of the pills that comes with less sugar pills anyway.

I take Yasmin... I occasionally delay my period by a few days or skip it when going on vacation or something like that. Haven't done it in a while, but I've done it more than a few times and it's never failed!

They DO make cups used for periods that you insert into yourself and it keeps the blood collected. I have never tried them, but would be curious to see how they work. I saw them near the period products at one store. You are supposed to be even able to have sex with them! Anybody tried these?

Closed Thread