It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
(female)

DismayedGoddess HB User
Unhappy Is there a such thing as a home-made douche?

My husband keeps telling me I need to douche. I've never had a problem before, but I think it's because--since we're married--we have unprotected sex and he doesn't pull out... so his semen is staying in my vagina causing the odor--which I seem to be unaware of.

My question is if there isn't a way to get... ingredients to make a home-made douche rather than buying a package of "Summer's Eve" or similar product. I'm sure I could bite the bullet and buy a douche if I absolutely have to, but it's very embarrassing to me. All my years growing up the girls that had to use douche were the girls who were overly promiscuous.

Could anyone offer some guidance? Thank you.

-Dismayed Goddess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Is there a such thing as a home-made douche?

douching is really not healthy for the vagina, suppossedly the vagina regulates it's own PH.....that being said, I used to use vinegar and water before I decided not to douche any more. That's probably better than the perfummy stuff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Please don't douche. It won't help, and it might harm. If you think your body has changed, ask a gynecologist.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

A healthy vaginal tract cleanses itself. If you do decide to douche, be careful about not forcing too much water pressure because this can force unhealthy organisms toward your uterus. They say to only insert the nozzle about one inch.
As far as douche recipes, you can:

Mix 2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar to 1 quart distilled water

One tablespoon kosher salt, dissolved in a little hot water, to one quart distilled water

These are the most natural, but I have never tried them myself. I would just try showering more and use a hand held shower head. That way you can rinse more directly down there. Or take a warm bath.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

It could be that your husband has a low grade infection which will cause the semen to be more odorous. Men can have low grade infections and not know it, happened to my husband.

A good way to check is to use protection and see if the odor continues.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
(female)

DismayedGoddess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
It could be that your husband has a low grade infection which will cause the semen to be more odorous. Men can have low grade infections and not know it, happened to my husband.

A good way to check is to use protection and see if the odor continues.
See... I'm a little curious about that myself. Because typically after sex I hurry to the rest room to clean up and I've had his semen on my hand and the smell of it made me retch. I figured he just needs to change his diet, but he's a very healthy person.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
(female)

DismayedGoddess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy11 View Post
A healthy vaginal tract cleanses itself. If you do decide to douche, be careful about not forcing too much water pressure because this can force unhealthy organisms toward your uterus. They say to only insert the nozzle about one inch.
As far as douche recipes, you can:

Mix 2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar to 1 quart distilled water

One tablespoon kosher salt, dissolved in a little hot water, to one quart distilled water

These are the most natural, but I have never tried them myself. I would just try showering more and use a hand held shower head. That way you can rinse more directly down there. Or take a warm bath.

Hope this helps.
I typically soak in the tub once a week, mostly just to relax. When he first mentioned that he thought I needed to douche I actually tried to clean the inner-vaginal walls myself. Like I said, I've never had this problem before.

The reason I tried to come online to find a solution is because my husband claimed the odor was present during sex. Honestly, I don't notice an odor and the smell of my vagina--which to me isn't an offensive scent--is no where near the potency of his semen.

When I mentioned to him that I'd come here to try finding a solution he tried to argue that women do douche etc. etc.

I actually have an additional question to any that read this and may know. Would the fact that I've had an abnormal pap-smear for a few years now possibly play a part in all of this?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

Hi again,
I am not sure about your 2nd question about the pap, but I can relate to the smell after sex. I notice that when semen mixes w/ vagina, there is a stronger odor. I think that is normal. I do not like it either!

You do not have an odor w/o your Husband's semen inside, so I think you are fine. I have wondered the same thing about why such a strong smell w/ semen? It is almost like our body does not like it... and is rejecting it somehow. It could be the PH thing....

You should explain that to your Husband and he needs to be more understanding. It is not really you w/ this smell, but rather his OWN semen causing that to happen. Maybe have him use a condom or withdrawl if it really is bothersom.And you may want to look into more info. on why he may have a stronger odor.

Good luck!
skyy11

Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
(female)

leeleelanilou HB User

To your first question,
I used to get yeast infections right after my period when I was a teenager. My mother would get a wash cloth really cold & pour vinegar on it. I would use it as a compress to help with the burning, itching pain. After I was married, I would make a solution of white vinegar & cool water. Sorry, I don't remember the ratio.
As far as you wondering if having an abnormal pap, do you mean could it be psychologically affecting your husband as far as your smell? I assume that your doctor is keeping an eye on the abnormal pap. Maybe you should call hm/her to talk about your concerns. There could be a very simple treatment or an under lying problem. I'm just getting over bacterial vaginosis. I've never had it before in my life! I never noticed my vagina smelling differently than usual & neither did my husband but a strong odor is one of the symptoms. Keeping trimmed down there helps keep the odor down if you don't shower every day but so would not having sex as often. I guess you could ask your husband which he would prefer, a nice smelling vagina or more sex. I know which one my husband would choose!

Closed Thread