It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
(female)

Shannatoo HB User
Are my periods "irregular"???

Hello,

I am just wondering if my cycle is considered "irregular." I've been having periods for 4 years now, so I am no longer in the "new" stage. Since the beginning, they have never been 28 days apart or something like that, it has always been anywhere between 36 and 50 days.

Anway, I have been reading up on women's health, mostly because I want to specialize in that area, but I keep reading that "any cycle longer than 35 days is a cause for concern." But my question is, is it really? I thought every woman's body was different. Also, I cannot seem to find why it is a "cause for concern." When I do finally get a period, they are not heavy or long but they are painful (but only on the first day).

So my question is, is this irregular? Or perfectly normal for me? Like, do I need to bring it up to my doctor at my next appointment?

Thanks!

Shanna

Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Are my periods "irregular"???

I don't see how it is a "cause for concern" every time. Of course it CAN be a problem, but often times it is not. One of my friends wasn't getting her periods and she was healthy and her doctor said it was just a hormone imbalance that was nothing serious. She took medication for it, but even that didn't work! All the pills did was make her moody! She ended up going on birth control pills and that did the trick. I'd bring it up to your doctor just in case. They can make sure everything is alright!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 03:57 AM   #3
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

I agree. I never had a 28 day cycle until I started on birth control. I once went 6 months without having my period.

KDD

Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ellekay HB User
Wink Re: Are my periods "irregular"???

28 days is crap. Ive been getting a period for about 15 yrs now and its always between 26-40 days, sometimes even more. Thats just the way my body is.

Everyone is different and no body is the same. A 28 day period is ideal only because it minimizes your PMS which is a huge issue for me, but thats another topic

Old 04-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Same, never had a 28 day cycle. Birth control (oral/shot) aggravated my headaches/migraines, so I went off all. My cycle is 32+ days. Never the same it seems.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

28 days is an average and 'optimum'. like heart rate or weight. variation is allowed, but how much is the question. There's nothing wrong with 26 days, or 35, if that's your regular cycle.

When they say it's a cause for concern, they mean go have it checked to see if anything is causing it. It could still be nothing other than your cycle.

My periods were so freakishly regular at 29 days apart that you could have set your calendar to them. That changed when I got a fibroid so in my case, having my cycle not be average anymore was definitely an indication that something was wrong.

I would just ask your doc about it next visit. If you've always been like that, it's probably just the way you are.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ellekay HB User

Also bear in mind, that your period is a very delicate thing.

If your sick-irregular, if your stressed-irregular, if you lose weight-irregular, gain weight-irregular, change your diet-irregular.

Also the thing that most girls dont understand is, the more you think about your period, the more irregular is actually becomes. Remember energy follows thought. The mind is a very powerful thing, and if your stressing about it, your only making it worse.

Elle

Old 04-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
(female)

LovingMyLife HB User

I have a friend who for years only had a period every 3 months. I told her she needed to get on a good natural progesterone cream. She did just that and bled for 6 weeks straight, but after that long bleed, she is now like clock work every month. If you go for too long without a period, it is not allowing your uterine lining to shed properly and you can set yourself up for endometrial cancer if that lining becomes too thick from not shedding properly every month. Low progesterone can cause the periods to be irregular.

Closed Thread