It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

FiChna HB User
does anyone here have PCOS? what advice can you give me when it comes to weight loss?

At a recent doctor visit it was deteremined that i have polycystic ovarian syndrome.

although infertility is one of the major problems associated with this condition, i am not focused on that since i am unmarried and not ready to have kids.

but i am having a serious problem with weight loss. currently i work out 5days a week and hour each day. 3 times a week i am doing cardio for the full hour and the other 2 days i do 45mins of cardio along with 15mins of light weights. needless to say NO WEIGHT IS COMING OFF. i also have almost a mile walk everyday to get to work and i usually walk that distance with 15-18 mins, which is good timining.

i log in all my exercise and calories burned doing these exercise daily. granted i know the machines cannot accurately tell me how much i burned but i figured the number is a ball park figure.

i cut my cal intake to about 1600-1800 daily which i thought was a fair amount but maybe i need to only eat 1200cals a day?

either way despite the fact that i have been going to the gym faithfully for 3 months and busting my butt daily, my gyn says i've gained weight

granted losing weight and having PCOS is hard enough but to make matters worse i have a doctor that is basically all over me like white on rice and seems to believe i am lying about my exercise routine or the fact that i do not eat a ton of food. so you can imagine my anxiety when i see my doc because all it is gonna do is turn into another debate about my weight and how i must need overeaters anoym or weight watchers.

now when i was diagnosed he never said that losing weight could be difficult because of the condition. i had to find that out online on my own. and i am somewhat disappointed that he has not linked my inability to lose any weight with the fact that i have PCOS.

either way i WANT to lose weight and i want all my hard work to pay off in terms of me getting skinner.

for the record a lot of my coworkers say i look thinner, my clothes are baggy, and it appears that i have lost some inches, but no actual lbs.

my blood work stated that i have no thyroid problems and i am not a diabetic. he started me on provera so i can start getting cycles and now i am on yazmin which he says will help with the condition and keep my cycle regular.

what methods have you used to lose weight and how long did it take? should i perhaps consult an endocrinologist to make sure that i do not have a thyroid problem? have any suggestions on how i can get my doctor to take me seriously when i say i DO exercise daily and are working toward loosing weight?

Last edited by FiChna; 04-17-2008 at 03:24 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FiChna For This Useful Post:
FR89 (12-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

Shannatoo HB User
Re: does anyone here have PCOS? what advice can you give me when it comes to weight l

I don't have PCOS but I am just wondering as to what you are eating? Exercise is a great start but a nutritious diet is also a key in losing weight. Make sure you are eating 3 meals a day, plenty of fruits and veggies, very little refined sugar, and some protein with each meal.

Also, make sure not to cut your calorie intake too low, especially if you are exercising so much, that could do more harm than good!

Good Luck!

Shanna

Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
(female)

SallyD HB User
Re: does anyone here have PCOS? what advice can you give me when it comes to weight l

Hi! My sister has pcos, and I thought I would tell you what works for her.

low carb. the weight just melts off...There are many low carb diets out there.. (my sis does Atkins)

Most will tell you to cut out sugar.(refined) flours, and starches...(pasta.) breads, and white rice.

good for you: lean meats, fruit...(The best are melons, and berries)
any and all green veggies, (except peas, and corn)...almonds, spinach is great,,The darker green, the better. Think steak salads, a meal with grilled chicken, , and a lot of yummy veggies...

water, water , water..lots of it.

Just google low carb and you will get a plethera of information.

and BTW< my sister was told she probably wouldn't ever concieve, and she has two lovely little "accidents"...a little embarassing since one was to a guy she had just started dating.....and she had assured him she was unable to concieve..lol

Take care...sal

Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
(female)

FiChna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannatoo View Post
I don't have PCOS but I am just wondering as to what you are eating? Exercise is a great start but a nutritious diet is also a key in losing weight. Make sure you are eating 3 meals a day, plenty of fruits and veggies, very little refined sugar, and some protein with each meal.

Also, make sure not to cut your calorie intake too low, especially if you are exercising so much, that could do more harm than good!

Good Luck!

Shanna
breakfast is usually a bowl of special K with skim milk or a wheat bagel low fat cream cheese

lunch is usually a some sort of salad with a fruit smoothie or a lean chicken sandwich with plenty of veggies. i have a fruit smoothie (soy milk based) 5xs a week

i drink 6-7 glasses of water

dinner depends on how i feel and whats available. sometimes i have 2 eggs with wheat toast, sometimes i might have a small hamburger(like the jr cheese ones from wendy's) and a baked potatoe

i DO NOT have ice cream, potatoe chips, soda, juice, cookies or anything in my house and i make a great effort to avoid them

today was the first time i had icecream in 3 months.

this week i was somewhat like well maybe i should eat a little of what i want since i am som disappointed in the results, but i am mindful of what i eat and how much i am eating

just today i turned down a bigger meal because of how many cals were in it. but its somewhat depressing when you are depriving yourself and seeing no results.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
(female)

FiChna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
Hi! My sister has pcos, and I thought I would tell you what works for her.

low carb. the weight just melts off...There are many low carb diets out there.. (my sis does Atkins)

Most will tell you to cut out sugar.(refined) flours, and starches...(pasta.) breads, and white rice.

good for you: lean meats, fruit...(The best are melons, and berries)
any and all green veggies, (except peas, and corn)...almonds, spinach is great,,The darker green, the better. Think steak salads, a meal with grilled chicken, , and a lot of yummy veggies...

water, water , water..lots of it.

Just google low carb and you will get a plethera of information.

and BTW< my sister was told she probably wouldn't ever concieve, and she has two lovely little "accidents"...a little embarassing since one was to a guy she had just started dating.....and she had assured him she was unable to concieve..lol

Take care...sal
i will keep this in mind. thanks for the suggestion

Closed Thread