It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
(female)

sophie86 HB User
Exclamation Getting a Pap while still a virgin(HELP!)

HI everybody im new to thits forum, but i need advice from anybody who can possibly help me, im 21 yrs old and ive never been sexually active, last week i went in for a physical and my doctor told me that i needed to get a pap, but i asked him that if i still needed to get one eventhough ive never been sexually active and he said yes, I told him i would make an appointment for another day cause i was in a hurry. Ive heard from most of my friends though that i dont need a pap since there no need for one. Im just scared that getting a pap right now will really hurt. I just want to know if its normal for a doctor to do a pap on a women if shes never been sexually active. Can anyone PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: Getting a Pap while still a virgin(HELP!)

Yes, I think that if you are over 18 you are supposed to get one even if you are a virgin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Pap is not for sex related issues - other than maybe HPV. It is to detect cancer which anyone at any age can contract. So, yes, 18 -21 is a good age to start with regular gyno exams including a Pap.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
(female)

Cakies HB User

I agree with the other posters about the pap being nessasary, as for your fear of it hurting, which is understandable, just know that you should tell the doctor your a virgin and you want them to use the smallest speculum. If you've ever used a super absorbancy tampon then the pap shouldn't hurt because the small speculum is about the same size. try to relax the doctor does not want to hurt you, If it hurts tell them to stop but it should not hurt.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree with everyone... usually doctors recommend that at age 18 you start to get your annuals done. Some even recommend age 16, regardless if you are sexually active. I went before having sex because I wanted to go on the pill for my irregular periods that would make me sick to the point I couldn't stay in school back then. Plus, usually STD tests and things involving sex are EXTRA and are not included (such as chlamydia tests, HIV, etc).

Definitely tell your doctor it is your first time getting the annual and that you are a virgin and want to use the smallest speculum as possible. The doctor should even show you what will be done so you know what to expect. It shouldn't hurt at all! So don't worry about that part. It's more awkward if anything, but just remember that the doctor does this all day and it's no big deal to them. When they use the cotton swap to collect cells from your cerix, you can feel it, but it's more of just a pressure and shouldn't hurt. They should be very gentle! I agree that if ANYTHING is uncomfortable, just tell the doctor and they can fix that!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
(female)

sophie86 HB User

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! everbody, this really is helpful, im still a bit nervous but now that i now this is totally normal i feel more comfortable, will this make it less painful for me the first time i have sex? im just assuming this since im guessing my hymen will tear when they do the procedure

Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I'm going to be the first to disagree here. The point of the PAP is to check for abnormal cells on the cervix which are an early indicator of cervical cancer. Over 99% of the time, these cell changes (and thus cervical cancer) are caused by HPV which is sexually transmitted. If you have never had any sexual contact, then the chances of you having contracted HPV are so remote that I would tell your doctor and ask if it is necessary.

Just to be clear though, I'm talking about no sexual contact at all, not just no intercourse.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
(female)

DebGrl HB User

I just wanted to thank you guys for answering my questions also on this subject, My daughter is scheduled for her 1st Pap Test soon, I was concerned because she also is still a virgin and my mom was trying to say the docter won't perform a Pap if your not sexually active, My daughter is 18
Thanks again!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I believe the pap is a good idea and necessary for all young women, sexually active or not. There is also a genetic/hereditary component to all types of cancer, including cervical. A full pelvic exam can be beneficial in ruling out both other forms of vaginal cancers, and ensuring overall reproductive health.

I know it can be awkward and as a rule, no women enjoy it (at least, none I know ), but as others have said, doctors do this all day and it's no big deal to them. Sometimes a good OB/GYN practice has a more comfortable atmosphere, ie. warmed speculums, speculums of varying sizes and bigger, more discreet gowns. My GYN uses pretty floral cloth gowns that cover a lot more than those flimsy paper ones.

My daughter was a wreck the first time, but saw the midwife at my OB's office. She was younger and really put her at ease. She actually said it wasn't as bad as she had thought. Good preventative health care is always a good thing in my book. Take care and good luck.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
(female)

skymamma HB User

Definatly agree that getting the pap done is a good idea. It's not so bad...just stay relaxed and once you get your results back saying that the pap was normal then you will probably feel a sigh of relief. Knowing your perfectly healthy is a great feeling!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
(female)

dizzy09 HB User

Yes! Get one! I'm still a virgin at 27 and started getting a Pap when I was 21. It hurts like heck for me, but my doctor is very supportive.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
(female)

LinuxRocks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby View Post
I'm going to be the first to disagree here. The point of the PAP is to check for abnormal cells on the cervix which are an early indicator of cervical cancer.
Most people use the terms "Pap smear (or Pap test)" and "pelvic exam" interchangeably, and I believe that's what has been done here. By the way, I disagree with your disagreement!
Quote:
Over 99% of the time, these cell changes (and thus cervical cancer) are caused by HPV which is sexually transmitted. If you have never had any sexual contact, then the chances of you having contracted HPV are so remote that I would tell your doctor and ask if it is necessary.
And if HPV were the only threat to a young woman's health, you'd have a point, but it's not. There are many other things that can be detected during a pelvic exam including, but not limited to: Ovarian cysts/tumors, signs of endometriosis, vaginal and rectal abnormalities, signs of vaginal cancer, etc.

Speaking for myself, I had endometriosis and adenomyosis that started when I was 13. If my parents had taken my complaints about severe pain and bleeding seriously and taken me in for a pelvic exam, I may not have ended up losing my reproductive organs [after a long fight to save them] at 22 years old. So, yeah, this young woman needs to go get it done, regardless of her virginity.

Closed Thread