It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

alaskario HB User
Exclamation Rectocele

I have been reading up on the subject for a few moths now. I have one, seemingly pretty severe, along with possible descending uterus (I can feel my cervix only a finger tip's length inside of me). I go in for a surgery consult on May 12. I am scared, but also sick of feeling like crap.

Any advice woudl be appreciated, as well as horror/success stories.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
(female)

yorkieville HB User
Re: Rectocele

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskario View Post
I have been reading up on the subject for a few moths now. I have one, seemingly pretty severe, along with possible descending uterus (I can feel my cervix only a finger tip's length inside of me). I go in for a surgery consult on May 12. I am scared, but also sick of feeling like crap.

Any advice woudl be appreciated, as well as horror/success stories.

Thanks
I had an enterocele/rectocele repair 10/06, and have lost all my bowel function. (Dynamic Proctography showed everything just drops to the bottom of the colon and I have no urge to have a B.M.) I don't have any advice, still going through diagnosis as to what happened. Suspect Gyne cut nerves in my bowel though.

All I would suggest is ask your doctor to explain all possible problems that can result from the repair, and ask how s/he intends to avoid them.

Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User

I have a rectocele as well and have decided not to have the surgery for now, at least. It doesn't seem very promising.

Hopefully, their surgical technique will improve very soon.

I too have a uterus exactly one finger length away. I've lost most of my urge to go, and so just recently started giving myself a daily enema. It takes an hour, (I fill the bag several times, until I am cleaned out) but I don't suffer like I used to. I feel pretty good most of the day, after I'm empty.

I've gotten used to eating a light snack in late afternoon, then a nice dinner, as I seem to create a lot of (often painful) gas, 4 + hours after I eat and I can pass it easier lying down. I now sleep in our guest room, but we still have awesome sex occasionally.

I'm 45, I've got an 11 year old son. Now is not a good time for me to either be sick or have surgery. I believe my enema a day has given me time. Maybe even saved or extended my life.

I've been sick since my youngest was 3. I feel better now, than I have in a long time. Thanks to my old fashioned enema bag. I've recently lost 10 lbs, which makes me feel better, too. I'm not too heavy - 140 and I'm 5'7".

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

SheWhatever HB User
Cool Re: Rectocele

I have had what I now know to be called a Rectocele since my middle child was born 20 years ago, and in all this time I have "put up with it" becasue I was too ashamed to mention to anyone that I had to stick my finger in my vagina to pass faeces. Eventually I found the courage and I am now scheduled in for an operation to repair this in 8 weeks.
However I have been reading forums and others like them and have almost become scared into backing out of the Op. Like the lady who started this post- I am in 2 minds and need convincing of how much better life will be afterwards.

You see, I cope with my condition and I always have done. I have just spent a year getting myself in peak physical training for a marathon next year and also I weight train most days of the week. I am 49 and very proud of this new body as it has taken me so much work to create. So the prospect of not straining and lifting weights for 6 months for a condition I have lived with for so long is not a happy prospect.

Can anyone deliver me with a message as to why I should have this done - please? Will sex be so much better or soemthing? I would buy into that.....Please someone convince me....

Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
(female)

yorkieville HB User

Hi, SheWhatever.

I wish I could tell you that my recotcele repair resolved my problems. I, too had to evacuate my stool by placing my fingers in my vagina. After my repair, I was numb rectally and gradually lost all sensation in the anal sphincter nerves. After the repair, I lost all nerve sensation and now, I have to manually de-impactate myself every day with a gloved hand. The rectal nerves can be damaged during the surgery.

I wish I could turn back time, I never would have had my hysterectomy, because it caused my enterocele/rectocele.

The only advice I can give you, is take that into consideration in making your decision.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread