It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

spoiltmom HB User
Irregular Bleeding and Uterine Ablation question...

I'm only 28 years old and I've been having irregular bleeding for almost a year now. I have 2 kids and we're pretty sure we're done have kids. My OB/GYN has tried treating me with several different types of birth control pills but they haven't worked. Now I'm on no birth control pills or hormones of any kind and I'm still having the bleeding.

He has given me 2 treatment options...I can get the Mirena IUD which I had before and it worked great or I can get my tubes tied and have the Novasure endometrial ablasion. The Mirena is NOT covered by my health insurance and to get it I would have to pay $585 cash. If I get the ablation done will the effects be permanent?? I mean at my age will my uterus rebuild itself causing more problems later on??

He hasn't found a cause for the bleeding and rather than get my tubes tied and do the ablation I would rather him do a partial vaginal hysterectomy but he is set on the ablation. He's delivered both of my kids and I've been using him for almost 10 years but maybe it's time for a second opinion??

What do you ladies think???

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Irregular Bleeding and Uterine Ablation question...

HI there.I had both a tubal and Novasure in January...my doctor managed to get both procedures done and paid for by my insurance, the Novasure being billed as necessary due to abnormal heavy bleeding...whatever, the whole thing cost me 25$! HOWEVER it wasnt easy. And, he didnt guarantee the NovaSure- told me that 2 out of 5 women still have periods...in all honesty, Im not sure if it was a good move or a bad move to go thru this...Im still gettting my period and the recovery time is close to a month of spotting and needing pantyliners (and no sex or warm baths) however the overall pain came from the tubal, which was done laproscopically (thru the belly button). IT took me a full week before I felt like myself again and could bend over and sit in the bathroom alone! After that, and since then, complete recovery.

But the down side is that Im one of the ones whos NovaSure didnt exactly go as planned. First of all, its been 3 months- I now bleed irregularly whenever my body seems to want to...I have gotten a 12 day period and a 1 day period, nothing seems to have straightened out. I will admit that the periods are really light! Not even tampon heavy- panty liner type....and Ive seen my doc as recently as last week, he thinks that things might still regulate, and that this is due to having been on B/C pills for a good 20 years. But, I miss the days of knowing when my period was coming- being able to plan around it. I do NOT miss the wondering about pregnancy thing....hes 99.9 % sure that the tubal went fine. (lets hope so).

As for the length of time with NovaSure, its not guaranteed at all, and "they" say that after 5-10 years, you can start bleeding again and be back to where you started...the body does regenerate the cells and eventually the old cells will slough off- so if its permanancy you are seeking, this isnt it; however at your young age, if you needed to do it again in your late 30s you could (and theyll probably have another procedure by then, anyway!).

Hope this helps.
N

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

spoiltmom HB User
Re: Irregular Bleeding and Uterine Ablation question...

Thanks! That does help me a lot. I think I will pass on the Novasure and insist on a partial hysterectomy instead. The Novasure and tubal is going to cost me as much as a partial hysterectomy so I may as well get it over with.

Closed Thread