It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

Stigma HB User
Question about Amenorrhea, Hormones & Provera

I had my period six weeks ago for the first time in over a year. Before then, it had been absent for about four months and prior to that, it had always been completely normal and regular. I suspect what triggered this recent amenorrhea was bulimia-induced weight loss which happened around the same time. Over the past six months or so, I have put on a significant amount of weight and, with the exception of that one period six weeks ago, my cycles have still not returned.

My last blood test shows everything normal except for two hormones that regulate the production of estrogen (I believe the abbreviations are LH & FSH). My endocrinologist was puzzled by the result since these levels were so low that they were immesuarable (which is not even the case with people who have extremely low body weight and body fat and that is certainly no longer the case with me, anyway). She says that I'm producing an egg but not releasing it and suspects that my periods can be triggered with meds (such as Provera, which she gave me to try for a week). Before she talked to me, she was certain that I was on some hormone/meds that caused these levels to be so artificially low but I do not take any medication except for my thyroid meds, which I've been taking for the past ten years. My last thyroid test was also very normal.

Does anyone have any idea what can cause these hormones to be this low??? I'm very confused and worried! Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Question about Amenorrhea, Hormones & Provera

My cousin is bulemic and has been for over 20 years. She has constant hormone fluctuation and at 44 is in full blown menopause. I'm not saying that will happen to you. As I said, she has struggled with it, and not so successfully, for over 20 years.

Has the provera helped at all? I had amenorreah for other reasons, and we tried Provera, to no avail. It did not restart my periods and made me a raving madwoman. I could not control my emotions at all, and that is not my usual temperment.

I know many women have had good luck with it though. I don't know if this is because of the bulemia, or if it is due to something else. I had/have PCOS. (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) There are lots of sites on the web where you can learn about it. That's all I can contribute. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Take care and good luck.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
(female)

Stigma HB User

I have not tried the Provera yet. I'm very sorry to hear about your PCOS and I hope that will not turn out to be the case with me (at least my endo did not seem to think along those lines...not yet, anyway).

I'm just mostly puzzled by what could be causing these two hormones to be so abnormally low... I've been eating A LOT better over the past six months or so, no binging/purging, and have gained enough weight to now be considered at a perfectly healthy weight (my family doc. and the endo. agree with this, too). The endo. did ask at some point if maybe I'm taking a soy supplement. Well, I'm not, but I do consume a decent amount of soy, most of all SOY LECITHIN in the form of gum (I chew gum like there's no tomorrow - 3 packs a day, on average...). I've tried Googling this and it seems that some people take SOY LECITHIN per se to HELP with fertility. On soy, in general, there still seems to be a debate as to whether it's harmful or helpful for those trying to conceive. I'm so confused.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Maybe it is simply due to the changes in metabolism that must be occurring with your healthier body weight etc. The fact that you are taking thyroid meds (I assume something like Synthroid?) may play a part as well. What did the endo say about the thyroid meds, if anything?

I know when I lost weight, several years ago, my metabolism changed significantly. I believe that when this happens, it can affect so many other hormones in our bodies. I'm not well versed about the soy, but I know it is recommended for women who are going through peri-menopause and menopause. (I am in peri) Along with other natural supplements that are supposed to help with the annoying and many times debilitating side effects.

I really don't know. Maybe you should try the Provera, and see if that changes anything. Just because it made me a madwoman, doesn't mean it will have the same effect on you. (LOL) I wish you the very best and please let me know how you are doing. I post on another board often, but I do try to check in here when I can. Take care.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
(female)

Stigma HB User
Unhappy Re: Question about Amenorrhea, Hormones & Provera

So I took Provera for seven days straight and finished it one week ago. My period has not returned. What is going on??? What could be wrong with me??? The blood test was repeated and the results were much better (nothing out of the ordinary) although the LH and FSH were still low (not immeasurable this time, though). I have a pelvic ultrasound scheduled next week. Should I be worried??? How can this be fixed??? Please help!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
(female)

Stigma HB User

I just went for a pelvic ultrasound and am waiting for the results. In the meantime, there is still no period. I'm now married with a great desire to start a family very soon and am at my wit's end as to what could be happening.

Anyone else suffered/suffering from secondary amenorrhea and trying/wanting to conceive either now or in the past? Please do comment - any input would be so greatly appreciated as I'm feeling very alone and frustrated. The doctors have no idea how this could be happening given that my body fat is up at a fairly normal range now and I'm not stressed or overexercising...

Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigma View Post
I just went for a pelvic ultrasound and am waiting for the results. In the meantime, there is still no period. I'm now married with a great desire to start a family very soon and am at my wit's end as to what could be happening.

Anyone else suffered/suffering from secondary amenorrhea and trying/wanting to conceive either now or in the past? Please do comment - any input would be so greatly appreciated as I'm feeling very alone and frustrated. The doctors have no idea how this could be happening given that my body fat is up at a fairly normal range now and I'm not stressed or overexercising...
Heya,

I have chosen to answer you on this thread because the one on the ed board is closed for being too old now. I really do understand your frustration and worry, particularly as I can sense how keenly you want to be a mother.

The hormone levels that you are referring to can mean several things. For a start you can feel assured that you are not going through early menopause - which can happen with some women after having an ed. If that had been the case with you then you would have tested for raised levels, not low levels.

In my own experience I can only say that it is indeed very possible for you to test at very low levels on certain days. The levels of these two hormones change dramatically depending on the stage of your cycle you are at. Mine were very low at certain points - that is how I never had a clue that I was about to start ovulating again, because whenever I had routine blood tests done I never showed the surge that indicates you are about to ovulate.

I cannot really give suggestions regarding medications as I have no experience of them. I can tell you that the last bout of secondary amenorrhoea that I suffered lasted over three years. And as you already are aware, I then fell pregnant completely without warning, as I had not got far enough through that first cycle to have menstruated.

All I can do is offer the possibility that time will heal you despite what the ed has put you through. When it comes to actually conceiving already, you need to continue through all the help that the doctors offer I guess. I just worry that it is a lot of stress to put yourself through. Can you not consider just chilling out for another 6 months and seeing how your body copes without the added pressure of trying to conceive?

I am around if you need to ask other questions. Obviously I am expecting a baby in August, so at some points I will be online and at others I may be unavailable for a few days, but I will keep checking in on you. I really hope you get what you want soon.

Hugs from Helen

Old 07-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
(female)

Stigma HB User

Helen, thank you so much for posting and I apologize for not having checked the boards in such a long time!

Last week, I received the results from the pelvic scan test. Everything is normal, which is both a relief and another source of my frustrations, because now I really have no idea what is wrong with me! I was sure that the scan would show *something* at least slightly abnormal. I have no idea where to go for help from here on and even what doctors can do for me??

As for becoming a mother, it is not something I'm stressing over just yet. I just started a new job and I also don't think I'm mentally ready for a baby right at this moment. However, a year or so down the road, it will definitely be the right time.

How are you doing with your pregnancy so far?? Are you feeling OK? Are you still struggling with the ED or have you recovered completely now? It is such a miracle that you will be giving birth next month and I wish you nothing but the best!

Thanks again for all your kind words!

Closed Thread