It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
(female)

glenrun05 HB User
Endometrial ablation?

Hello there all! I am new a this and quite frankly pretty scared. I am 43, can not have anymore children and am a house wife.
I seam to not be alone here. I have had heavy bleeding since I began my periods. I have had many cysts, right ovary removed years ago. Currently I have (still) clots, irregular periods along with the cramping/breast tenderness. I am so tired of it all. Oh yea, I have had 2 ultrasounds and a CT scan. I have a small cyst on my left ovary and a small fibroid cyst.
My OBGYN is saying Endometrial Ablation should do the trick. I get very ill from surgery. I had a colonoscopy this week and got sick from that.
I am leaning to the side of a total hysterectomy. I am nervous of that of course and my OBGYN says EA first. I do not want to do a FIRST. I am tired. years of this and years of this is crazy. My husband has cancer and that is plenty for us to worry about here. ( he is well by the way).
Any good thoughts? I think I am talking myself into the Hyst but super unsure.
Thanks for your kindness.
glen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
(female)

Cat Az HB User
Re: possible Endometrial Ablation

I'm sorry to hear all the problems you're having. I've been told that endometrial ablation is the new procedure instead of a D and C This procedure would be less radical than a hysterectomy. I'm told it can stop all the bleeding. The less surgery the better. Your recoperation time is a lot faster and you're not ready for menopause for a while. There's alot a women has to deal with after a hysterectomy. Dryness, menopause, there's other side effects also Take your time with what ever you decide to do. Research it, ask lots of questions, have them address the fact your sick after surgery. Whatever you do I hope you start feeling better soon..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
(female)

glenrun05 HB User
Re: My Novasure/endometrial ablation experience

I am afraid that this will be a bandaid for me. I have just had so many problems I think that I am really really tired of it all. Maybe you can help me (and I do see my OBGYN on Thursday) but is this procedure going to end the bleeding forever or just for a year, two or so..? My husband has cancer and as odd as it seams I need to focus on him. It is hard to have these years of the same ongoing problems. (He is fine by the way but his cancer he will always have). I do not have to take care of him but together we have 5 kids (youngest is 21) and his kids lost their mother. So our plates are full (as is everyone else's is).
I am sorry to say it this way but I am afraid in 3 or so years, he may not be so healthy and I will then have the big daddy of them all.
Thanks Microwave for your kindness, have a fabulous and terrific day
God Bless you, glen

Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-04-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Posts moved from other thread. Reference to other thread removed.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

glenrun05 HB User
Re: possible Endometrial Ablation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Az View Post
I'm sorry to hear all the problems you're having. I've been told that endometrial ablation is the new procedure instead of a D and C This procedure would be less radical than a hysterectomy. I'm told it can stop all the bleeding. The less surgery the better. Your recoperation time is a lot faster and you're not ready for menopause for a while. There's alot a women has to deal with after a hysterectomy. Dryness, menopause, there's other side effects also Take your time with what ever you decide to do. Research it, ask lots of questions, have them address the fact your sick after surgery. Whatever you do I hope you start feeling better soon..
Hi Cat, I have heard that as well. My OBGYN stated up to 30% no bleeding, 70% (including the no bleeding) little bleeding & 30% does not help at all. I guess this I would be gung-ho for if it were long term much . It just may be. I will also still have the fibroid tumor and cyst on the one ovary that I do have left.
I have been researching menopause and yes, lots happens after that is done. I am in perimenopause right now and it is the beginning of the bad picnic.
The sickness after surgery they will find a patch for me to wear that is to work. I just say..eyeyeeyeye!!
Thanks for note, it is nice to hear from others..I need it! You are so sweet!
Blessings, glen

Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

Nobody can guarantee the results of the Novasure. My doctor said that 70% of his patients never bleed again, while the other 30% still have periods, but they're much lighter.

I chose to do the Novasure first rather than go straight to a hysterectomy because it's much simpler and less invasive. So far, so good. If I have to have a hysterectomy down the road some day, I'll worry about it then. Besides, I'm 42. If the bleeding starts up again and gets bad, I'll be pretty close to menopause so it won't last long. I try to let my body do it's natural thing as much as possible.

I hope you get this all straightened out and feel better soon. And my good wishes for your husband as well, and for your strength as you go through the cancer with him. Hang in there!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Glen, just so you know, Im 41. Had Novasure in January...still bleeding, almost more then I was before, but not quite as often. Before the procedure, I was bleeding for 14 days straight and it was incredibly heavy...being that I have MS,it was necessary to get my anemia (whcih I was developing from the bleeding) under control...after the surgery, I had a tough time for the first month- then nothing for a few days...now, I bleed every few days off and on, but its much lighter. No more clotting and horrible days where I go thru 20 tampons, now its panty liner light alot of the time, with heavy pads here and there..its been a trip, let me tell you.
My doc said its only supposed to last 3-10 years...the body sheds enough cells that at some point, this WILL wear off, its not guaranteed...but having spoken to over 20 people who had this procedure done, Ive only met or heard of ONE who's period didnt come back...yet, 90% of people say it got much lighter...
hope this helps, and sorry to hear about your husband. I really am. I found out I have multiple sclerosis less than 2 years ago and the same month, my husband learned he has Silicosis, which is a pulmonary disease related to cancer...the whole world does have issues, doesnt it? But, I am truly sorry for you. Im also the stepmother of 3, and the only parent left that they have to rely on...scary world out there, huh?
Hugs
Nikki

Old 05-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

glenrun: I have the Novasure brochure, and it says that most women will have a "significant reduction" in their levels of menstrual bleeding. They say that many women report no bleeding afterwards, and that a "majority" had reduced down to a light or moderate period. They don't guarantee that it will eliminate periods completely. So, odds are that you will see a reduction.

I haven't had a period yet since my procedure 8 weeks ago so I don't know if I'll have one or not. I do know I've ovulated (because I chart my ovulatory cramps and CM), but no period (and I 'should' have had a period 2 weeks ago. I had the regular period cramps, but no bleeding or spotting at all).

I really do think the Novasure results vary from woman to woman. But, if I get my period again, I won't mind as long as I'm not passing golf ball sized clots and going through 3 super plus tampons in one hour again!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

glen
some of the women it fails on is because there dr doesnt do the right pretest to make sure they have a good shot at it working they have other issues large fibriods polyops or a mis-shaped uterus
nikki i wonder where you dr came up with 3 to 10 yrs i never read anything like that although im sure it is possible in some cases i just read the other day that once all the linning is removed it should be gone not like a d and c ill try and look for the article again

Closed Thread