It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

whit3 HB User
UTI or Pregnant?

Hi,

I went to the doctor the other day complaining about being excessively tired for the last 3 weeks, a period overdue by a week and a half, a few hours worth of spotting over 2 days at the start of this week and a few hot flushes. My doctor told me she thinks i have a urinary tract infection. Ive had quite a few of those when i was younger and it just doesn't feel like one. I have no burning, i have been going to the toilet more often but it doesn't hurt, and its not just a small amount its conciderably more than usual.
She has put me on anti-biotics to treat a UTI but I still don't believe thats the problem, i don't believe a UTI can stop my period.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or had something similar happen before? My BF and I are not trying to get pregnant but we have not been using protection for around 6 months now and i'm not on the pill.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
(female)

bleigh HB User
Re: UTI or Pregnant?

I hope you know that you should take a pregnancy test??!! Did your doctor do any kind of lab work including a pregnancy test, blood work, urinalysis? If she didn't do any of those and just said it's a UTI and prescribed you antibiotics I would suggest you find another doctor ASAP. Right now you should drive to the closest store that carries pregnancy tests and take one tonight. If you're that late you would most likely have a positive pregnancy test any time of day or night if you're in pregnant. Post back after you've taken the test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
(female)

whit3 HB User

Oh yeah sorry i forgot to mention.. I've done a pregnancy test and it says negative. Thats also why im confused. It just doesn't feel like a UTI and my partner keeps telling me he thinks im pregnant.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Did your doc actually do a urine test? I just wouldn't have much confidence in a doc who just prescribes anti-biotics without proof of infection.

Some of what you describe sounds like it could be thyroid related. I'd go see another doc.

Best of luck.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
(female)

whit3 HB User

No she didn't do a urine test. She gave me a prescription for anti-biotics and said "here start taking these. by the way we better do a urine test, just hand this jar into the reception when your done and start taking the pills". so she wants to do a test but wants me to start taking the pills before the results. I think thats because I had a history of UTI's when I was little, under the age of 10.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

It sounds like your in the same boat as I'm in. I did have a positive UTI that turned into a yeast infection without the discharge. I actually took a pregnancy test because I had all the weird symptoms - lack of a period, EXHAUTED, and peeing all the time.
Sounds like you should get your thyroid tested. I turned up hypothyroid and am on medication now to control it. I would see another doctor who knows how to best treat your symtoms.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

My doctors have always done a urine test FIRST so I didn't take the pills for nothing. I've had UTI's a few times and I always have the same symptoms and always feel pain if I go more than a day with the infection. I'd just wait a bit and try taking another pregnancy test later on if the symptoms keep up and it isn't a UTI. Could just be early on. Of course it could be a UTI that is just a bit different. It can be so hard to tell for sure. Sometimes even my diet can affect my using the restroom. I was eating much more protein and vitamins and felt a bit of discomfort when peeing and had to go more often. I was probably eating TOO much protein and cut it back down and felt fine afterwards.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
(female)

whit3 HB User

Well a few days have passed.. Still no problems using the bathroom.. No pain or discomfort what so ever. Waiting for the results from the tests. Pregnancy tests still coming back negative, and I am getting tireder and tireder. I somtimes feel like going to sit in the bathroom at work and just pretend I have a bad stomache just so I can sit somewhere and close my eyes for 5mins!

Whatever this is.. I hope it is resolved soon.. As my partner is getting more and more worried and I am finding it harder and harder to work feeling this tired!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

bleigh HB User

I hope you feel better soon!! Do you by any chance suffer from any kind of seasonal or environmental allergy? Right now in my part of the world the tree pollen is unbearable and I feel like I'm about to pass out. Just makes me insanely fatigued among other things. Thought I'd suggest this just in case. Let us know what you find out in your labs.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
(female)

whit3 HB User

No I don't suffer from any seasonal allergies. I get my results back on wednesday for if i have a UTI or not. I didn't take any of the pills the doctor prescriped, i will wait for the results. No more hot flushes, but still no period, feeling very tired, but i'm kind of relaxed. Whatever goes, goes. Still peeing frequently but the number of times im getting up during the night has decreased but still increased during the day!

Will let you all know once i have UTI test results.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
(female)

whit3 HB User

My urine results came back negative for UTI. There were no "bugs" there. They said however there was protine in my urine, and my doctor said "it cant be anything else, take these antibotics, have a nice day". I don't know whether to see another doctor or not. As far as I believe, protine in urine could mean alot of things. Plz help with this one.

Closed Thread