It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Caffeine and periods

I can't seem to find any information on this subject, so I wanted to bring it u to the ladies here.

Does anyone know if caffeine has any effect on the menstrual cycle - particularly if it can make a woman late? For some reason, I have been drining coffee lately like it's going out of style, and I found out that my "one" mug of coffee (one of those big thermal mugs) equates to about four cups of coffee, and I tend to drink at leat one or two of those big mugs every day.

I am just wondering if that may be affecting my period because I am about a week late. I'm pretty darn sure it isn't pregnancy because I had a fairly normal period last month (was slightly different and a little late and a lot more painful, which I chalk up to my stressing over it being late). Also, if I were pregnant, I'd be nearly two months along, since that is how long it's been since I had sex, and I have no symptoms. No sickness, no tiredness, no weight gain, no cravings...nothing. I don't feel different at all and I tihnk it would be pretty weird to be pregnant and feel absolutely nothing.

I suppose it is also possible my body decided to be stubborn and making my cycles weird. I'm going on 21 and I know it's common for women my age to experience some irregularity.

But, ladies...anyone here who has ever noticed changes in your cycle due to major caffeine consumption?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User
Re: Caffeine and periods

I can only speak from my own experience... caffeine never affected my menstrual cycle, and like you I drink a LOT of coffee. Stress on the other hand does.

Only adverse effects that I've seen caffeine have are frequent trips to the ladies room and dehydration (so I try to drink water to offset this).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Re: Caffeine and periods

Okay, maybe caffeine has not affected me. I got my Aunt Flo today, coincidentally...exactly a week late like it was last month. So I'm thinking my cycles have just decided to be weird again and come every five weeks instead of every four. Not the first time I've had some weirdness with my cycles.

And yes, I have noticed I am usually in the ladies' room every 20-30 minutes after I have coffee. It's the best-tasting diuretic I've ever had

Closed Thread