It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
(female)

Christine73 HB User
Erratic/Prolonged periods.

Hello everyone,

I need some advice please

This all started 3 months ago, I am 46 years old.

I had a period that lasted 31 days, so I went to the doc and he ordered an ultrasound. This revealed some fibroids (largest around 2 cm, so quite small), and a cyst on my left ovary which he says is harmless.

Two weeks after the 31 day period it started again and lasted for 8 days. A week later it has started again...ugh!

The doc said if I could live with it and it wasn't causing me to become anemic,
his best approach would be a 'wait and see'.

I am not sure what to do..I mean of course it is really getting on my nerves, but I am not in a relationship at the moment, so it won't be affecting my sex life.

What do you suggest, wait and see if it goes away or try some sort of treatment? He said the first step would be to try progesterone and see if that helps...

Thanks for any help

p.s. I only have a bit of cramping sometimes, so not in pain...the most annoying thing is the pms! I'm so exhausted on the day it starts.

Last edited by Christine73; 05-17-2008 at 12:20 AM.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
(female)

Valentine0214 HB User
Re: Erratic/Prolonged periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine73 View Post
Hello everyone,

I need some advice please

This all started 3 months ago, I am 46 years old.

I had a period that lasted 31 days, so I went to the doc and he ordered an ultrasound. This revealed some fibroids (largest around 2 cm, so quite small), and a cyst on my left ovary which he says is harmless.

Two weeks after the 31 day period it started again and lasted for 8 days. A week later it has started again...ugh!

The doc said if I could live with it and it wasn't causing me to become anemic,
his best approach would be a 'wait and see'.

I am not sure what to do..I mean of course it is really getting on my nerves, but I am not in a relationship at the moment, so it won't be affecting my sex life.

What do you suggest, wait and see if it goes away or try some sort of treatment? He said the first step would be to try progesterone and see if that helps...

Thanks for any help

p.s. I only have a bit of cramping sometimes, so not in pain...the most annoying thing is the pms! I'm so exhausted on the day it starts.
I have to disagree with the doctor. I too have had my share of period problems. This kind of bleeding is not normal; why wait until you become anemic before he addresses the problem? Some time birth control pills can regulate periods, but in my case I got blood clots, so it is something to think about if you consider that option. In the meantime, I would ask about iron supplements.

I think I would get a second opinion. I would also ask your doctor to check your thyroid. There is no reason to go on like this.

P.S. Does he think the fibroids are the problem? Is he addressing that issue?

Last edited by Valentine0214; 05-17-2008 at 07:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
(female)

Christine73 HB User

Thanks Valentine.

He doesn't think the fibroids are the problem, he says they are too small to cause this.

The thing is, he didn't do any blood tests or anything, so not sure how he knows I am not anemic, or if my hormone levels are incorrect or what.

The lady who did the scan says it's possible that the cyst might be causing it, but the doc says he doubted it.

What got me was that he didn't really have any explanation as to what it might be..

It's interesting that you mentioned the thyroid...I have put on a bit of weight over the last year..maybe about 10 pounds, but put that down to me getting older

I think I will go back and tell him I have decided I can't live like this..I mean if I wait for 3 months like he suggested I won't have any blood left at this rate heh...thanks for the help

Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
(female)

dizzy09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine73 View Post
Thanks Valentine.

He doesn't think the fibroids are the problem, he says they are too small to cause this.

The thing is, he didn't do any blood tests or anything, so not sure how he knows I am not anemic, or if my hormone levels are incorrect or what.

The lady who did the scan says it's possible that the cyst might be causing it, but the doc says he doubted it.

What got me was that he didn't really have any explanation as to what it might be..

It's interesting that you mentioned the thyroid...I have put on a bit of weight over the last year..maybe about 10 pounds, but put that down to me getting older

I think I will go back and tell him I have decided I can't live like this..I mean if I wait for 3 months like he suggested I won't have any blood left at this rate heh...thanks for the help
I'd be more persistant.

You can tell if someone is anemic by looking at the whites of their eyes or skin color, lip color etc.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

they can look at you eyes but that dont tell you your ferritin level when those levels start to drop you canget into trouble im getting iron ivs for this my friend had a period like this and they told her she could have died it depleted all her iron store please go to a new gyno i think your dr is nuts

Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
(female)

Christine73 HB User

Thanks, am making an appointment again tomorrow

Closed Thread