It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

deesown HB User
Pain pills for heavy bleeding??

Does anyone know what type of pain medication doctors generally give you if your having severe cramps and pain. I have tried Prescribed Motrin which doesn't seem to help my pain at all. and I dont want Vicodin because it messes with my stomch. Any others out there I might ask my Gyno about giving me?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Pain pills for heavy bleeding??

You could go on birth control, that usually makes periods lighter and easier (not guaranteed, but usual.)

If you're into natural health, 1000 mg of calcium and 400 mg magnesium per day can ease muscle cramps of all types, and raspberry leaf tea tones the uterus. I use these remedies, because I can't take OTC pain relievers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Before it went OTC, Aleve was a prescribed drug called Anaprox. It was often prescribed for cramps. I used it as both back when I was still having periods and found the Aleve just as effective as the Anaprox.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
(female)

starissa HB User

Im having major pain issues and i get generic darvacet(SP) from my new doc since my gyno doesnt think its his issue anymore but thats a whole nother issue in itself. The only i have found to take the pain away is the heavey duty painkillers that make you sleepy. i wish you luck

Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I always take generic Aleve prescription strength (same thing as anaprox), which is 550mg naproxen. I found that generic motrin/ibuprofen 600 or 800 mg wasn't helping anymore. But the naproxen seems to be working rather well for me for the pain.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
(female)

darkwater HB User

Anaprox (naproxen or Aleve) made my stomach more upset than it already was during my period, though it did help the pain. I have very heavy bleeding and cramps with endo. and ibuprofen works best for me. If it is moderately bad, I take 600 mg (three tablets) of ibuprofen every 5 hours. If it is really bad, I take 800 mg every 6 hours. My doctor warned me about doing any more than that. If this doesn't touch it, you may not have any choice but to get a heavier prescription painkiller. The pain associated with periods and heavy bleeding is inflammatory pain and doesn't respond to stuff like Tylenol, only NSAIDS or steroid type pain relievers or maybe narcotics, though I have never taken narcotics for period pain. Good luck!

Closed Thread