It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

rose24 HB User
upper back pain

good morning!

just a few questions.

I have a large 5.5cm cyst right ovary.

along with normal lower back pain, i have a lot of pain in the middle of my back. could this be caused by the cyst?

also, is it normal for a ct scan to be unable to tell whether or not the cyst is water filled, complex etc.

have ultra sound scheduled for sat.

also, how bad is fluid in the cul-de-sac?

thanks!
Rose

Old 05-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: upper back pain

Hi Rose, I'm not sure, but I suspect the pain is actually "gas pain" from when they (most likely) filled your abdomen with gas to do the surgery. The gas goes UP so it can cause back, shoulder, neck pains and headaches. I'm taking some GasX with me to the hospital and asking if I can take it pretty soon after surgery (note, I'm asking before I take it). I've also hear breathing deeply helps move the gas out and so does walking.
eta: dang it! I thought you said you'd had surgery already. I didn't read very carefully. So I don't know about the pains.

I can't help with your other questions, though. Sorry.

I hope I helped even a little!

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 05-22-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: I ought to read more carefully before posting!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User
Re: upper back pain

Hi Rose,

I believe OB GYN's prefer ultrasounds over CT's to look closer at cysts so your upcoming u/s should definitely be able to tell whether it is fluid filled (ie cyst). As for the fluid, that can come from cysts (i.e. fluid filled structures) that have ruptured. Sometimes that fluid can go unabsorbed and end up as "free fluid".

I'm not sure about your cyst of course but women who ovulate (not sure of your age) get cysts every month. Most of us never know about them as they generally cause no problems, they burst and get reabsorbed. Other times, they don't resolve. Dr's may repeat the u/s in a couple of months and then may try hormones via birth control pills to see if that helps. I only know this because I had a persistent pain in my lower left abdomen and the dr decided to do annual u/s on me for annually and they would occasionally find a cyst in various forms. One was still a follicular cyst, another had just ruptured and they associated that with a small amount of fluid I had. Otherwise the u/s have been unremarkable. Hope this helps.

Take care.

Closed Thread