It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
SO tired and don't know why!

I used to have issues with feeling exhausted all the time in the past and never figured it out. I've had my blood checked because I thought I might be anemic, but it was fine. I take lots of vitamins and I'm a very active person and I work out 5 times a week. I also eat very healthy and eat balanced meals.

Lately I've been eating more and not putting on any weight... I've just been so hungry and I feel very weak if I don't eat enough. I almost feel like I'm drunk and feel off balance and my head feels foggy. I'm actually fine once I wake up (although it's hard to wake up some days) but in the middle of the day, I feel overly exhausted even if I didn't do anything stressful at all that day.

Any other tips of things I can check for? I'm a recently graduated student and will not have insurance after this month for a little while. I take the Pill but I've been on it for about 7 years and never had this problem. My boyfriend thinks it may just be from past stress built up that now just caught up with me. I felt like there was a month (at the end of my college years) that I was practically running off of caffeine and adrenaline, so maybe. Anything else I should check for?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
(female)

bleigh HB User
Re: SO tired and don't know why!

I know tons of people who are going through this right now. Something about this time of year really brings major exhaustion that usually starts mid day. Sounds like you may be suffering from seasonal allergies. Though you may not be having runny nose, sneezing, eye problems you may still be having a reaction to the massive amounts of pollen in the air. A couple weeks ago I was attending our small group meeting (church) and over half of us were about to pass out. We're a fun group and enjoy hanging out and chatting so it was not from boredom. Everyone suffering was complaining with same symptoms you're having. Hopefully this will make you feel better. If your labs came back okay then you shouldn't be worried about too much. Check your local pollen counts and see if this improves later on when things settle down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thank you for your response! Very good point there and I didn't think about that. It's true that I haven't been sneezing or anything, but my sinuses have been bothering me some. I'm in Texas and it's very hot here as well and usually the heat wears me down, so I try to stay indoors for the most part. I feel that the time I'm most energized is after a workout. If I don't work out, I feel sluggish. I will definitely check on the allergen levels and see the pollen count. Maybe there is a non-drowsy medication that can help.

Another thing I forgot to mention... when I did get blood drawn (just a small amount in a little tube) for getting everything checked out, I felt like I was going to black out and got very dizzy, muffled hearing, spots everywhere and couldn't see for a minute... They quickly called in a nurse and I had some orange juice and was fine. Do you think my blood sugar maybe just drops very easily? I don't like to eat a big meal and I'm more of a grazer, so I snack on healthy things but eat very often. I guess I should keep up eating this way and always keep a spare snack in my purse. Sometimes I have days where I don't get to eat for a long time and have to skip a meal and then I feel very bad and get headaches.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well.. it looks like pollen count is rated "very high" here this week! Besides staying indoors as much as possible, is there anything else you recommend to do about this?

Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
(female)

Shannatoo HB User

Hello,

I had similiar symptoms as you when I was younger, I was constantly hungry yet couldn't gain weight, always felt foggy, could wake up from a full night's sleep with black circles under my eyes feeling exhausted. It turns out I have food allergies and once I eliminated the allergen foods from my diet, I was like a new person! So food allergy testing (IgG) might be something to look in to.

Also, being that you were recently under alot of stress, you might be suffering from adrenal fatigue. Most MDs don't diagnose or treat AF, it is mostly diagnosed through holistic doctors, but if not treated, it can be a pain!

Good Luck!

Shanna

Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

Low blood sugar, deperssion, stress, thyroid problems...

Old 05-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
(female)

bleigh HB User

Food allergens or sensitivities definitely can do this. If you're finding that this happens a couple times a year then it may just be a seasonal thing that many people suffer with. For me and my friends who are having this problem we're all on non-drowsy allergy meds. Still have days of extreme fatigue, slight dizziness (almost feel like your head is lopsided), and just general blahs. You can try to stay indoors and make sure your air conditioner filter is clean. Also take a shower before going to bed as pollen will stick to your hair and skin. Start using a neti pot to wash out your sinuses. I don't use one rather I just suck salt water from a cup up my nose and spit it out....I know sounds gross, but nobody sees me do it and it helps.

Alot of people suffer get funny feeling when they're having blood drawn. I think it has something to do with the sympathetic nervous system. You may not always feel this way but sometimes your body will just go into the fight or flight when it really shouldn't. You can feel better as quickly as you felt bad. The juice probably helped you feel better as you may have had low blood sugar at the time or maybe you just needed some hydration.

Monitor your fatigue and the pollen counts. If you're still suffering when the counts are low try and see if it could be food related.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for all of the replies! I'll have to see if my new sinus meds help. It's frustrating that I will get 8 hours of sleep and have such a hard time waking up.

What are some common foods that people tend to be bothered by in this way? I haven't changed my diet all that much recently. At the beginning of the year I started to eat small meals throughout the day and eat LESS carbs and low glycemic ones. I also eat less processed meals. I'm not sure of anything else I've changed, unless it just developed.

Yes, the doctor told me to eat a good meal before having blood drawn next time because I had maybe half a powerbar. Thing is, many blood tests you can't eat for, so I don't know how to prevent that!

I haven't had my thyroid checked but unfortunately I'm about to go off insurance for a few months and will only have emergency coverage as I transition into my new job. My boyfriend has hypothyroidism (mild) and I seem to have a mixture of both symptoms. I have the low energy, but don't put on weight.

Last year I struggled a lot with depression and anxiety. I went on antidepressants and chose to get off of them because they weren't really helping and they made me gain a little weight. Actually, after stopping them, my energy levels were extremely high. It was part of my "withdrawal" symptoms after stopping even though I did it gradually. I kind of liked feeilng well rested ALL the time though!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
(female)

bleigh HB User

Most common food allergens are milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat. You can also have intolerance to any number of foods. I personally have a hard time with corn as well as wheat and dairy. There is some great info out there on food intolerance, sensitivity, and allergies. Also, anxiety can be a symptom too.

If you need to have a fasting lab done, make sure you go first thing in the morning. Don't fast all night and then wait till afternoon to get the labs drawn. You'll definitely be asking for a major drop in blood sugar.

If the allergy meds you're taking make you feel funky don't be afraid to try another. I personally love Zyrtec and do not suffer drowsiness, but my dad can't function on it. The things he takes, puts me out. So, it's not one size fits all with these meds. Claritin (not with decongestant) is supposed to be really good for not having drowsy side effects.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Claritin D works really well for me when I have bad allergies. This time I tried some Tylenol Sinus for both night and daytime. No improvements YET, but we'll see how that goes!

I recently started eating less wheat products. Well actually, pretty much all of 2008 I've been not eating pasta anymore and I try to stick with flourless Ezekiel bread. I guess I'll just try to look for any patterns!

I may try to do my workouts in the morning while I have the chance to before I start my new job. I always feel energized after my workouts, so maybe this will help jump start my day as well!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
(female)

bleigh HB User

You may want to take something like Claritin or Zyrtec over the Tylenol as they are more appropriate for long term use and possibly have less side effects. They are also more prophylactic and can help prevent allergic reactions as opposed to treating a reaction. Hope this makes sense.

Good for you on the lower carbs!! Wait until after the pollen levels drop and see how you feel. Will be best to get seasonal allergies out of the way and see if you notice any improvement. If not, then try an elimination diet. If you don't notice any difference you may actually need to add a few more carbs into your diet....my husband can't function on low or no carbs as I can go without all the time and feel great. He feels very groggy and tired by the end of the workday. You just have to learn your body and this takes time.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oops I meant Nyquil! I got a combo pack with daytime and nighttime pills for sinus. I do have some Claritin D as well so I may try taking that and will see how it goes. I've been a bit sneezy today so it may be a good idea anyway! It always helps me when I have really bad allergies.

Thanks for all of your advice! It's been very helpful. I actually have been continuing to eat a little more and I think it's been happening. I didn't realize how much longer I've been staying at the gym. My time has nearly doubled at the gym, so I probably wasn't eating enough with my about 1200 calories or so a day. I've been eating more since I usually burn a lot of calories during my workouts and that was probably wearing me out!

Closed Thread