It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

KadeeS HB User
Extremely Heavy Periods and Multiple Tampon Usage...

Is there anyone out there who can relate to this and uses multiple tampons...

I kinda wanna know that I'm NOT alone. I have extremely heavy periods, which are defined as having heaving bleeding/gushing and needing to use super plus absorbancy tampons (and pads) and having to change them every one or two hours.

Not too long ago, I started using two tampons and a pad just to get two hours of relief. But I've developed a serious sensativity to wearing pads...they make me itch like crazy and they don't actually help all that much anyway. I'm also now allergic to the string on the tampon... go figure.

Then to top this all off, I can't even get a good night's rest because I have to set my alarm clock to wake me up every two hours when my period is at its heaviest or I have an disaster on my hand.

On my last period I though, I decided to try THREE tampons. I found this really easy to do, it's comfortable and doing so gives me at least four hours of relief. But I still have to get up in the middle of the night at some point to change them because they are really saturated after four hours.

But having being able to go four hours without worring about a MAJOR accident has been a big deal for me. It makes me feel somewhat "normal" again.

I've done a lot of research about toxic shock and know that medical community really doesn't have a good answer as to what causes it nor do they understand the link between getting it and tampon usage. The best they've come up with is to tell women to make sure they're using the appropriate absorbancy as determined by how heavy or light their flow is. So give the fact that even three super plus tampons are over saturated after four hours, I don't think I've upped my risk for the rare occurance of TSS. So I'm resigned to take my chances on this.

Oh and I try to adjust my tampon usage based on my flow. I start of with one, increase to two and then three and then back down to two, then one and then a very light absorbancy one at the very end. My periods can last up to 8 days with about five really heavy days right in the middle.

Some addition background on me. I'm currently unemployed and have been dealing with unemployment or underemployment for quite awhile. I don't have health insurance and cannot even afford to go to the clinic which charges a sliding fee ($15). I did have a comprehensive medical exam about five years ago when I noticed the onset of my periods getting out of control. An interuterine biospy revealed nothing wrong. I was given some hormone pills to try to give me some relief but I relocated and shortly thereafter lost my job/health insurance and have never been able to really follow up on my health care because of this. I also have an enlarged uterous from having fibroids and had those removed almost ten years ago. It's possible they're back but I can't afford the tests nor can I afford to do anything about it even if I knew they were back...so here I am using three tampons

Anyway, again, I'm just wondering if anyone out there can relate to this or have similar stories. Please share.

Thanks.

Last edited by KadeeS; 05-23-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User
Re: Extremely Heavy Periods and Multiple Tampon Usage...

My mom was like that before she had a hysterectomy, so I've heard of it. Why don't you get on birth control pills? Without insurance you should be able to go to a free clinic for the exam and get the pills at a reduced rate. They will severely reduce the amount of bleeding during your period. And, what you pay each month for your pills will probably equal what you spend on tampons.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

bleigh HB User

Have you been check for thyroid conditions? I realize you can't afford it at the moment, but when you can this would be a great test to demand.

You really need to go to the ER and get checked out. They have to see you and if you can't pay they will either write it off or work out some kind repayment plan. You may be suffering from any number of conditions and proper evaluation is needed ASAP. Don't wait to get help.

Have you applied for Medicaid?

Old 05-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

There's this great thing I discovered at the pharmacy called the Instead softcup. It basically works like a cup to catch your period flow, and you empty it every few hours or so instead of wearing a tampon. I find that when my flow is at its heaviest, using the cup and a heavy pad works for me. The only thing is, using the cup takes practice and if you don't place it properly, it will leak. And if you don't remove it properly, you'll have a disaster on your hands. So you should practice inserting and removing them when you're not on your period to make sure you get the hang of it, and then start using it when your flow first starts, when it's very light.

I've had better luck with those and they don't irritate me like tampons always do.

I agree that you need to have some kind of diagnostic test run, however, to find out why you're bleeding so heavily. I realize you don't have insurance, but you have to find out what's causing such heavy bleeding. Mine was caused by having uterine polyps, which i've had removed 3 times. It can also be caused by ovarian cysts or uterine fibroids. All of these things can cause very heavy bleeding during a period. So, if there's any way you could go get checked out by a gynecologist, that needs to be a priority for you.

Closed Thread