It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Ovarian Cyst

Hi gals,

I went to the ER tonight and I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. I had gotten sick this last tuesday morning and vomited most of the night. I had chills and a fever. I went to my doctor the next day and she didn't really do anything just guessed maybe a gallbladder problem. My pain was down in my right side and next to my belly button. It was very tender to the touch.

My symptoms have now subsided to low back pain and loss of appetite. I've read lots on search engines and such that vomiting, fever and pain with a cyst is an emergency - but the er doctor said it would go away on it's own. I'm worried. I'm amazed that such a small cyst can cause such troubles! If any of you have had similar experiences or any advice I'd love to hear it. Should I be worried since I've already seen a doc tonight? I forgot to tell him that I had had a fever and chills that first night.

Last edited by B143C; 05-25-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Ovarian Cyst

B14

I had an ovarian cyst when I was thirty-seven. It was very painful. My GYN said it was triggered by edometriosis. It was a very large cyst, about the size of a grapefruit. My dr recommended surgery. I had a total hysterectomy and have never regretted having the surgery.

Each case is different. Perhaps you would like to get a second opinion. My prayers are with you. I hope you'll stay in touch.

Sincerely Nadine

Last edited by music47; 05-25-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
(female)

snowdrift HB User
Re: Ovarian Cyst

I had similar symptoms with a cyst, but I didn't get to the dr. until a couple of days after it had subsided. I believe the reason it's considered an emergency is that it can cause a torsion, which can destroy the ovary and cause other serious problems. If they did an ultrasound to rule out a torsion, there isn't much else to do. Generally surgery is only done for very large or very long-standing cysts, or cysts that are bleeding profusely.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Thanks for all your wonderful advice, girls. It's comforting to know other women have had these. Did any of you have a fever when your cyst first appeared?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
(female)

snowdrift HB User

Not a fever, but a slightly elevated temperature and a feverish feeling--chills and aches. Slightly higher body temp is normal around ovulation--that's the only time of month I approach the standard 98.6, but when I was having that cyst episode it was between 99 and 100. So, very slightly elevated, but not a fever. (I use NFP and chart, so I keep close track of temps.)

I *felt* feverish though. Hot and achey and shivery chills. The pain was at times more intense than my long, unmedicated labor, but it was a similar pain, and came mostly in waves, like contractions. Nausea and vomiting as well. I guess those could just be from the pain.

Mine was a hemorrhagic cyst, but it burst on its own without excessive bleeding.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Hi Snowdrift,

I'm sorry you were having trouble - I hope that you are feeling much better now! That's how my fever was. I didn't check it the night I was vomiting all night but the doctor checked it the next day and it was 100.1. I thought I just had the tummy virus. They didn't do an ultrasound on me. They just did a pelvic exam. He said it was small but I also have one of those Barthelom cysts on the outside . . . ( I probably spelled that wrong.) I'm feeling much better now just still lost my appetite, back ache and fatigue. Hopefully it will go away soon. How long did you wait it out before a follow up with the doctor?

Thanks again for all of your helpful advice. I added you to my buddy list.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
(female)

chelle1980 HB User
Smile Re: Ovarian Cyst

hi there,
hope your pain has eased.

i had an ovarian cyst 3 years ago. i first had problems while pregnant, and had it for a year. at 6 wk post pregnancy check i was still in a great deal of pain. i had it removed 2 months later via keyhole. there are many types of cyst, and this means that if you are still having trouble go back for a 2nd opinion. some cysts can be left, and others need removing.

good luck,

hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
(female)

snowdrift HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B143C View Post
I hope that you are feeling much better now!
I have noticed that since my first bad cyst episode, I notice ovulation and sometimes have pain with ovulation. Twice it's been pretty bad pain, so probably cysts again, but once you know what it is, it's easier to deal with the pain! I hope you are feeling better soon, but my dr. did warn me that they have a tendency to recur. I definitely found that to be the case with me.

Quote:
How long did you wait it out before a follow up with the doctor?
A couple of days. I think it was three days after the initial episode, which was pretty much a whole night. By then I was still feeling kinda' weak and sick, but keep in mind that intense pain alone can leave you feeling tired and sick for a couple of days. There's nothing systemically wrong but the tiredness and muscle aches leftover from the intense pain.

Quote:
Thanks again for all of your helpful advice.
No problem, glad to share

Old 05-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Hi Chelle,

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm sorry you had so much trouble with your cysts. Wow! What a tough cookie you are to have had it removed at 6 weeks postpartum! Can anyone say Super woman? I go Friday for my pap smear with my doctor so I'm hoping to learn a bit more then. I'm so glad that you are pain free now! =)

Hi Snowdrift,

Thanks again for sharing all that wonderful advice. Everything you mentioned from the tiredness to the muscle aches is a mirror image of what I've been having. It's very comforting knowing I'm not alone. And you're right - the pain doen't seem as bad once you know what it is. Mystery pain can really play all kinds of tricks on our imaginations! =) I will let you gals know what my doctor says on Friday. Until then gals, have a blessed week! =)

You girls are the best!

Last edited by B143C; 05-28-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
(female)

chelle1980 HB User
Wink Re: Ovarian Cyst

hey there,

was just wondering how things are going for you. hope you are ok, did you get your test alright??

all the best

Closed Thread