HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/)
-   -   Need advice about NOT getting anymore periods (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/604900-need-advice-about-not-getting-anymore-periods.html)

sophitia 05-26-2008 09:35 AM

Need advice about NOT getting anymore periods

A few weeks ago I posted about going to get my pelvic exam done & I survived. I had the dreaded pap test done & the results are normal. I was tested for other infections, everything is normal. I did tell the dr about how I'm not getting pregnant even though I NEVER use contraceptives. She told me to wait & see what happens in a few months.

Well, the last couple of months I've been thinking about how much I hate getting my period & it really does seem I'm never going to have a baby in the near future. So I really don't see the point in having my stupid period every month & dealing with all the bad cramps, the flow, emotional upset.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop my periods from coming?

janewhite1 05-26-2008 06:19 PM

Re: Need advice about NOT getting anymore periods

Hysterectomy or birth control pills with no breaks, that's about it.

sophitia 05-27-2008 01:35 AM

So if I was to take birth control pills all the time, my periods would go away?

___vintaqe 05-27-2008 02:15 AM

[QUOTE=sophitia;3583855]So if I was to take birth control pills all the time, my periods would go away?[/QUOTE]

yes, but more than likely you will have the risk of break through bleeding .. which can sometimes can last a few days.

mummyandlilly 05-28-2008 01:30 PM

ive been on the pill for 6 months and havent had a period since i started them! its great.

also the injection. but it can cause some problems for some people. it did me x

Longview 05-28-2008 02:14 PM

If you were to plan on using birth control pills to skip your periods it's not gonna be a safe idea to keep doing it month after month like that. the pill isn't really design for that.

janewhite1 05-28-2008 04:40 PM

No, recent studies suggest that using BC to stop periods is safe, it's now been approved.

sophitia 05-30-2008 09:36 AM

I've just seen my dr about this birth control business & she prescribed Noriday. But I just read about it on the internet & it doesn't stop periods.

I guess I'll just have to deal with the monthly irritation. I've thought about getting a hysterectomy but I'm too scared to go for that.

janewhite1 05-30-2008 10:46 AM

If you take the hormone pills nonstop, you don't get periods, if you skip pills or take empty pills for a week, you get a period.

MSNik 05-31-2008 12:36 AM

You can also try the NovaSure ablation....not guaranteed to work for everyone, but for many, it stops their period altogether..

sophitia 06-01-2008 09:54 AM

So is Noriday a hormone pill? ( I apologise if I sound like I don't know anything but it seems like I'm being told a million different things & don't know what to believe.)

I live in the UK so I don't know if Noriday comes under a different name in the US. Has anyone taken Noriday & NOT gotten their period?

Titchou 06-01-2008 11:54 AM

All birth control pills are hormone pills. Some have estrogen only. Some have progestotin only. And some have a combination.

Sunara 12-19-2008 03:51 PM

I use to have very painful and heavy periods. I have the Depo Provera injection administered every 3 months and I haven't had my period for quite some time. This injection doesn't work the same for everyone though. Some women still have their periods as usual, and some spot. Worse case scenarios (as far as periods go at least) for some women, it makes them bleed more. I haven't read into any statistics, but I was told by my doctor that in most cases, the period will completely stop after about 6 months.

One thing to note if you're no longer having your periods. You need to make sure you increase your calcium intake! Your period is what helps to keep strong bone mass. So to be sure to take your vitamins or include more calcium enriched things in your diet. ;)

I think that perhaps Depo Provera has gotten a bad reputation. I say this because I've had at least two women act very surprised and concerned when they discovered I was "on the shot". They were shocked since it was "so bad for me". When I asked them about it, they couldn't give me any reasons as to why it's any more risky than other forms of birth control. It's likely that women who have had bad experiences are the ones more likely to give the most feedback, which is completely understandable. It's just human nature that people express their feelings about negative experiences more often. This information is then passed on to others and so on.

Forgive me for my rambling. I just wanted to express that although Depo Provera isn't for everyone (as is the case with any hormone intake) I am quite happy with it. The pill wouldn't work well for me because I'm quite forgetful, and terrible about taking medication every day. That's why I chose to try Depo Provera, despite all the stories I heard. There's my positive story about Depo Provera!

Sophitia, I know it was about six months ago since you asked about this subject, so I do hope that you've already found something that you're comfortable and happy with.:)

MSNik, I didn't know about NovaSure ablation. I just did a search about it and that's very interesting. Thank you.