It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
(female)

Sarah15 HB User
STD or ingrown hair?

A year or two ago my doctor told me that I don't need to worry about the sores I had on my genitals, as they were merely the result of ingrown hairs due to shaving and hair removal creams around the area.

Recently I've become worried about it, and am too scared to go see the doctor again. About a year ago I had a one-time sexual relationship with a man I don't really know - something I never do! - and am now panicking that maybe he gave me something.

Is it normal to have symptoms like sores appear so long after the act?

The one area has a lession that sometimes has pus coming out, and two days ago I developed a sore almost like a boil, that has now got a blue/black area to the one side of it.

I've been really tired, but that's been going on since before I saw this man, and is a result of too much work and financial stress, I think.

Other than that, I seem quite normal healthwise - I don't eat much, but I never have eaten much, so that's not abnormal for me either.

Do I need to worry?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: STD or ingrown hair?

I think that it is most likely ingrown hairs, as your doctor told you.

That being said, it really wouldn't be a bad idea to go and get it checked out, as this can finally put your mind at rest. If it actually were an STD of some sort, the only way that you would get the appropriate treatment is by getting an accurate diagnosis first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

Sarah15 HB User

So you wouldn't say it's normal for symptoms like sores to manifest a full year later only?

I plan on going to see the doctor again as soon as possible, but right now cash just doesn't allow for that :-( I thought I'd come here to see what others thought, in the meantime...

I didn't mention that it's quite painful at times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffkid View Post
I think that it is most likely ingrown hairs, as your doctor told you.

That being said, it really wouldn't be a bad idea to go and get it checked out, as this can finally put your mind at rest. If it actually were an STD of some sort, the only way that you would get the appropriate treatment is by getting an accurate diagnosis first.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Probably not an STD, no, but if it's turned into a boil, that could be a problem all to itself. Put a hot compress on it, drain it if you see pus, wash the area with soap and put an antiseptic or antibiotic on it, but if it isn't getting better, go to a doctor promptly. You don't want blood poisoning or something.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
(male)

hermes370 HB User

it's probably true what people are saying that it's unlikely to be lesions 2o/2 an STD ... that aside, it couldn't hurt to have an MD check it out ... but if the lesions are follicular centric(centered around a hair follicle) then it probably is a shaver's folliculitis +/- complicated by a faruncle(s) ... lesions don't sound like the painless chancroid of syphllis or painful lymph nodes of LGV, don't even sound like the ulcers of herpes simplex(HSV), but again need to see before can be certain ...

by the way, you mentioned hair removal creams before and just as an FYI, I would avoid using depilatory creams(if that's what they are) in the genital region, the skin quite sensitive there and your likely to create an irritant dermatitis on top of a shaver's folliculitis

best of luck

Old 05-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
(female)

Sarah15 HB User

Can you really get blood poisoning from not draining it?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
(female)

Sarah15 HB User

The one is fairly large with two points where I can get some of the gunk out, and the other is in the fold between my leg and my "torso" for want of a better word. The hair removal cream I use is Veet - I'm not sure if that's a depilatory cream or not?

Would it be a good idea to sterilise a needle and just ***** it open to get rid of the gunk, then sterilise again with dettol or something similar?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
(female)

Sarah15 HB User

I suppose I would feel better if someone could actually see it who knew what they were talking about, but that's just a horribly embarassing idea. I can't find images similar

REMOVED

Last edited by Mod08; 05-28-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Per posting rules, you may not post images.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Blood poisoning is not terribly likely, but if it starts getting worse, do see a doctor right away.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
(female)

bleigh HB User

I had seen two OB/GYN's and had them check out a small bump. Both said it looked like an ingrown hair and nothing to worry about....when I was pregnant I asked for it to be tested as it kept coming back in the same spot. Turned out to be herpes. It does not look like a typical herpes outbreak and the doctors didn't think much of it. Thankfully I asked to have it tested and I was able to protect my babies. You could always ask your doctor to check it in the lab just to make sure.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:36 AM   #11
(female)

Sarah15 HB User

That's what worries me, too. A doctor once told a friend of mine that a bump on her leg was nothing to worry about, and it turned out to be cancer! Hopefully by the end of next month I can afford the ridiculously high doctor's fees :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleigh View Post
I had seen two OB/GYN's and had them check out a small bump. Both said it looked like an ingrown hair and nothing to worry about....when I was pregnant I asked for it to be tested as it kept coming back in the same spot. Turned out to be herpes. It does not look like a typical herpes outbreak and the doctors didn't think much of it. Thankfully I asked to have it tested and I was able to protect my babies. You could always ask your doctor to check it in the lab just to make sure.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

If the sores look the exact same as the ones you were having when the doctor said they were ingrown hairs - I wouldn't worry too much. You can look on a search engine in the "images" selection and type in something like "gential herpes" and so on. Maybe you could tell by seeing the actual way a disease looks. Just mention it at your next gyno appointment - that would be my take on things.

God bless!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
(female)

bleigh HB User

Again, mine also looks like an ingrown hair. Definitely does not look like typical herpes....thankfully it doesn't resemble any of the photos I've seen!! I feel cursed to have HSV, but if I've got to have it I'm glad it's minor enough to put off two OB/GYNs.

It's best to get a sample sent to the lab. I was so glad I insisted on getting mine done as I was pregnant and definitely needed anti-virals before delivering my baby. Hopefully this will be an unnecessary precaution for you, but at least you will be certain you can put the worry to rest.

Closed Thread