It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Sick because of Ovulation

My story is a little complicated, but here it goes. I had a baby September 13th 2007, and ever since then, obviously, my body has been different. I nursed her for 3 months and then pretty much got my period back a month after stopping. It has been fairly regular, although at first there were maybe 40 days between cycles, and every month it got less and less until the last couple of months it has been back to 28.
A month ago exactly, I suddenly developed this bad stomach pain out of nowhere. It was actually so bad that I fainted at work. It just so happened to be on my right side right above my hip so I headed to the ER afraid it was appendicitis. Well it was not, they actually diagnosed me with a kidney infection. My UA came up positive, and a scan showed irritation up my right urethra and kidney. I was sent home with an antibiotic and some pain meds. A couple days later I began feeling pain in my mid back on the right side. Along with that came fatigue, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and depression. I would have thought I were pregnant again if that were not completely impossible. I went back to the doctor, and although my UA came up negative for any infection, they prescribed me a different antibiotic and within 48 hours I felt completely back to normal. I didn't know this at the time, but that ended up to be ovulation time. (I know now because of the day I got my period).
No problems until yesterday. I began feeling that same back pain on the right side again in the late afternoon. It also started wrapping around to my abdomen. I decided I would wait until morning to see how I felt. When I woke up this morning, I felt okay, but as the day went on I started feeling worse and worse. The pain wasn't in my back anymore, it was in my lower abdomen. At first it felt like it was on the right but then as the day went on it was definately on the left. And this is worse than your typical ovulation pains. I also started feeling that same exhaustion and nausea. My stomach began feeling tight and bloated. I thought forsure the infection was back. I mean, my symptoms were identical. So tonight after work, I picked up my daughter from the sitter and headed to Urgent care. Lo and behold my UA was negative. The Dr. said there was some bacteria found in my urine, but not much at all. They also checked for things in my blood, and everything was normal. She pressed around my abdomen and I almost screamed it hurt so bad. She suggested it might be hormonal. This would actually make sense considering I am ovulating again. I actually checked internally to see forsure (I used to do this when trying to get pregnant), and sure enough there is no doubt in my mind that I am ovulating.
So I still feel like crap, and I actually did vomit tonight. My daughter is going through this phase where she will not go to bed until 10pm. My husband was not home tonight because he was at class (he has gone back to college). Anyway I felt like I could not take care of her. That feeling terrified me. Everything is fine and I managed, but I am worried about myself. Is this something I may have to deal with every month? Does anyone else feel completely ill when they ovulate? I know people can have these symptoms during menstration, but I have never heard of this during ovulation. If I start birth control will that maybe help? Should I go see my obgyn? I am really very upset about this because I feel so sick that it is difficult to function. I cannot tolerate this every month.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Sick because of Ovulation

I would definitely talk to your Gyn about going on birth control. If this whatever-it-is is triggered by ovulation, stopping ovulation might just stop it.

Could it be ovarian cysts? Those tend to be very painful, symptoms similar to appendicitis.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Megss~ Go see your OB/GYN at once. Don't ignore your symptoms, even if they disappear until next month, because they might return. Ask for an exam and for a vaginal ultrasound. You might remember that I had some similar problems (UTI stuff) last month. My gyn. sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound. She basically explained to me that for about a year after you have a baby, "you're still pregnant." I had to laugh, because sometimes I still feel that way - very hormonal.
I don't think your pain is normal nor should you dismiss it. Also, see if you can schedule something when you are ovulating! Be proactive about it so you don't have to suffer...if I remember correctly, did you have to have surgery after your delivery? Forgive me if I'm mistaken. Maybe something is going on. Good luck and make a phone call!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Thanks guys.

Yes I did have surgery after delivery for a hematoma. Wow you have a good memory!
Are you feeling better with your UTI? You know your doctor has a good point. After all this time I still do not feel completely back to my old self.
I will make an appointment, I need to go on BC anyway. The few times we have done the bad thing since Grace was born, I worried and worried until my period came. I'm not quite ready to get pregnant again just yet

Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have an odd memory...can't remember simple normal things like where my dd's pacifier is, but I know when my neighbor's birthday is - funny.
Anyway, yes, I am feeling (knock on wood) much better after the UTI mess. I'm not sure what happened, but things cleared up.
If you're looking for a longer form of bc (as we are), try asking about the IUD. I have never been happier. I got the paragard, copper put in about two months after Madeline was born.
I'm not sure if you know this, but my fiance - boyfriend at the time - and I got pregnant because we were not using anything...you would think that at the then age of 24 I would know better...Live and learn, ha! So, yes, my little Madeline was our little "boo-boo." Wouldn't trade her for anything. She was the best little "boo-boo" that ever happened too!
Well, when/if you make an appt., make sure you say something about your surgery after Grace was born. Maybe something could be affecting it...? I hope things clear up for you soon!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

How long does the IUD last? We are planning to try again in a couple years. I hate the pill and the patch. The only BC I ever liked was the Depo shot, but that is so unhealthy and it can screw up your fertility for up to a year after you stop. So I don't want to go that route again. So I am going to ask about the IUD.
I actually haven't been on BC since getting married in '05. We did actually get pregnant on accident once too but unfortunately I miscarried that baby at 5 weeks. So I need to get on something.
I'm glad you are feeling better!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are two kinds of IUDs. There is a hormonal kind called the Mirena that lasts for 5 years, which can give you shorter and lighter periods. There is also the copper kind called the Paragard that lasts for up to 10 years. Both kinds can be removed at ANY time by your doctor and will not affect your fertility.
The reason I decided to go with the copper is because I cannot tolerate hormones very well. I too hated the Pill like you said. It gave me nasty headaches.
Should you decide to have another baby a year after you get the IUD inserted, you can get it taken out - you don't have to wait the 5 or 10 years. That's just how long it is effective.
I am extremely happy with my decision. I never have any worries and it's 99.9% effective!
Also, it didn't hurt when my doctor put it in (women who have had babies experience very mild cramping, while those who have not say it hurts very much). My insurance also covered it 100%.
It's definitely something to consider. Even if your insurance would not cover it completely, it would pay for itself over time. Do some more research on the Web. Good luck!

Closed Thread