It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
(female)

deesown HB User
OMG my doc said i will only be sedated and not put to sleep for my surgery...

Im having a Endometrial ablation done in two weeks and my doctor said i only needed to be sedated. Would somebody please tell me if they felt anything during this procedure and or if you where put to sleep. Im allergic to pain! I don't wanna be awake

Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: OMG my doc said i will only be sedated and not put to sleep for my surgery...

In my opinion, I wouldnt have it done that way. Ive had NovaSure, endometrial ablation and the pain wasnt too horrible afterwards, but I WAS ASLEEP! Having had sedation surgery before, for also GYN related matters, I wouldnt ever go thru it again...besides, its usually a covered service to have this done in a hosptial, under great conditions, with anesthesia...are you doing this at a doctors office? if you are, Id especially NOT let them sedate me...
good luck...let us know how you are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

deesown HB User
Re: OMG my doc said i will only be sedated and not put to sleep for my surgery...

im doing it in the hospital not the doc's office. I have Kaiser

Old 05-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

i dont think youll feel anything only because your pretty much knocked out you just dont get the breathing tube i had mine done like this but they gave me a spinal also but i really didnt need it. i was sedated 4 other xs and dont remember a thing

Old 05-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Actually, I've had gynecological procedures done both sedated (twice) and put under general. And to be honest, I prefer the sedation. You're still asleep and you still get this awesome drug called Versed, which helps you forget anything - hence the feeling of having just fallen asleep when they're waking you again.

The reason why I prefer not getting general is because that breathing tube really irritates my throat a lot. And I had a sore throat for at least 4 days later. Thing is, they monitor you while youre sedated to make sure you don't wake up while they're doing the procedure. So it's not like you should worry about waking up.

Also, I was less nauseated and way less groggy after sedation than after general. After general, I was in bed for 2 days after because I was just so worn out from it. But after sedation, I was up and walking around the next day feeling just fine.

So, in my personal opinion, I'd always go for the sedation over general, if it's possible. For me, it was better. I can understand if you're scared, but having been through both, I can tell you that my personal preference is sedation, for the reasons I described.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

My Novasure was done in the hospital under general anesthesia, and I didn't have a breathing tube put in. It worked great for me. But I have heard of people getting sedation only without a problem.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

microwave dont they always use a breathing tube when your under general? they put it in when your knocked out and take it out before you wake up are you sure it was general and not twilight?

Last edited by neffie663; 06-01-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I've been sedated twice and had general once (none for gyn procedures, but anyway)

I remember nothing from any of those 3 occasions, but the general, it took hours for the drugs to wear off, I felt nauseous and drowsy and spent the rest of the day napping. The sedation I was fairly awake within an hour or so.

Closed Thread