It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
(female)

jackolantern HB User
How to ease pain after childbirth

I tried to do a search on this, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

What are some good ways to ease the pain after childbirth? Not to sound vulgar but my crotch hurts a lot (it's been a week since the birth and I got a lot of stitches from tearing) and I've taken warm baths, used the spray from the hospital (but didn't take home the peri-bottle which I should have) and even put water soaked pads in the freezer to use as ice packs.

I read that some women use epsom salt in the bath water, but the package said to consult a doctor before use so I haven't done that.

Any other suggestions? How long does this pain last?

Last edited by jackolantern; 06-01-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User
Re: How to ease pain after childbirth

You can just got get a squirt bottle to use as a peri-bottle. That was always the best relief for me. Did they give you the little toilet thing that sprays water on the area?

Was this your first labor? Did you have stitches? From my first, I was in pain for a long time (sorry, but it's true). Probably nearly 2 months, although after the stitches healed the pain was a whole lot better. It really was excruciating for the first 4 weeks. First burning from the stitches, then soreness of the newly healed skin.

I wouldn't use epsom salts, but that's just me.

With my second two, the pain only lasted about 3 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
(female)

jackolantern HB User

yeah, sorry I just edited my original post to state that I did get stitches. And yes, it's my first labor. The whole peri-bottle thing confused me because I read somewhere online that it was an antiseptic thing for hygiene, but at the hospital I thought it was just warm water and I forgot to use it while I was there. I have a spray bottle here at the house by the toilet, but it doesn't have any antiseptic in it.

I'm kind of iffy on the epsom salts, but just read that a few women raved about them so I was curious. Also, I want to try to breastfeed (haven't had much luck) so I'm paranoid about what my body can absorb either via diet or skin (sitting in a bathtub of something for example).

I just feel like I'm in such pain off and on during the day that it's like "is this normal?? How can women deal with this and have so many kids?? lol"

I gave birth without an epidural and I thought the worst was over but these pains (that and my breasts which are fighting off clogged ducts) are giving me a run for my money.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

The peri-bottle isn't antiseptic at all [at least, mine wasn't]. It's used for cleansing stitched areas after using the washroom because you can't "wipe" with fresh stitches.

The toilet cover is AWESOME if you can get one. It's a plastic toilet shaped donut that fits on top of the toilet. A bag and a plastic tubes attaches to a hole in the side. You sit, aim the tube, hold up the bad, and voila, a warm, comforting stream of water. You can also fill the donut up with water and just let the water from the bag "bubble" in.

If you're taking full submersion baths already, I'd suggest you stop [sorry!]. I tried it after my second labor, and, while it was comforting for a while, it actually dried out the stitches and made them MORE painful. Warm water is relieving, but a full submersion bath is too-much-of-a-good-thing [imo].

PS : I see that you saw "tearing" and not "episiotomy". Because of the nature of a tear, it's going to hurt much worse than an episiotomy (I also had this with my first).

*hug* the pain DOES stop...and you'll actually forget what it felt like when peanut is about 6 months old. :P

Last edited by ittal; 06-02-2008 at 12:11 AM.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #5
(female)

jackolantern HB User

I said bath, but I've just been sitting in plain warm water and then taking a shower after. I don't even know how much soap may get near the stitches? I feel so stupid, they don't seem to tell you much.

Yes, I tore, but the doctor and I discussed it beforehand and he said in the long run tearing was better.

Geez, I didn't realize I was not supposed to wipe at all... I just mentioned this to my husband and he says yeah at least not the first day and I said I didn't realize that. That totally must have gone in and out one ear. I hope I haven't done any damage. He said as long as I just dab and not really wipe it's probably not a big deal? I don't know if this means I should stop completely now. How long does the "no wiping" thing last? Until the stitches are totally gone?

Okay I think the peri-bottle thing varies then because originally I thought mine was just warm water and then I read online about an antiseptic so I got confused. In that case I still think the one they offered me in the hospital was just warm water.

Thanks for all your input btw!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

Its been many years since I was were you are- but i still remember how painful the stitches were down there. And how swollen I felt!

Why don't you call your OBGYN and ask, what you can do to get some relief.
And to make sure your healing properly, with no infection.

This will pass, and you will enjoy your baby!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Tucks pads were suggested for me after my first ds. Those felt so good while healing. I know it sounds odd but my dr told me to use and it helped. But I didnt have a lot of pain either and was fine after a couple of days.
Call your dr adn explain how you are feeling,s/he will be able to suggest something to help you.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackolantern View Post
I said bath, but I've just been sitting in plain warm water and then taking a shower after. I don't even know how much soap may get near the stitches? I feel so stupid, they don't seem to tell you much.
You should avoid submerging the stitches. Showers are OK.

Think of when you soak a piece of paper. When it dries, it loses all the moisture it had before. Stitches are the same way. Since showers aren't a constant exposure to water, they get damp but not completely soaked.

Also keep in mind the amount of blood that is collecting down there. For the first 2-3 weeks I would be in the bathroom twice an hour to clean up. Soaked stitches are expanded stitches, which pull at the skin.

Quote:
Yes, I tore, but the doctor and I discussed it beforehand and he said in the long run tearing was better.
It is [my OB told me the same thing, and I'm not entirely 100% on the reasons], but it's more painful during the healing process.

Quote:
I hope I haven't done any damage. He said as long as I just dab and not really wipe it's probably not a big deal? I don't know if this means I should stop completely now. How long does the "no wiping" thing last? Until the stitches are totally gone?
You probably didn't do "damage", but it may be why it's a bit more painful. The wiping exacerbates inflammation. (Think about how your bum felt after a nasty case of the stomach flu - eek!) The peri-bottle lets you get the area wet and just sponge off the various nastinesses down there. You could also look into unscented-hypoallergenic-baby wipes [like the Pamper's sensitive] or flushable hygiene wipes [Cotenelle makes some nice ones]. Just dab gently with those to remove anything and toss them.

You basically want to have things touch that area as little as possible. I used to pack some granny panties with soft cotton rags/fabric because the pads caused too much chafing. Once the stitches heal, you'll still be a bit sore because of the new skin. But usually once the inflammation goes down the pain [and restriction] goes away as well.

Quote:
Okay I think the peri-bottle thing varies then because originally I thought mine was just warm water and then I read online about an antiseptic so I got confused. In that case I still think the one they offered me in the hospital was just warm water.
It probably was. Just get a ketchup bottle at the store - it will do the same thing.

Do you use the lidocaine spray they give you in the hospital? I used that for several days before I realized it was actually making the pain worse [it would ease the pain, but about an hour later I was more raw than before I used it]. Not many women are allergic, but for those of us that are, that spray doesn't provide much relief.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

The hemorrhoid wipes worked awesome for me. Just layer them on top of your pad. Very soothing. I just got the Target generic brand.

I had a 8.5 pound baby and tore pretty badly. It took me weeks to recover.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

if you call the dr the nurse should call back and give you tip i would do that. my first one i had a c section my second was natural my mom asked me which was better and i told her same pain different place. i really think i would have take the c section i was in so much pain after my daughter was born everything was pulling i really dont remember what i did outside of prep h and stitz baths

Last edited by Administrator; 08-26-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
(female)

jackolantern HB User

Thank you everyone for the tips.

Quote:
You should avoid submerging the stitches. Showers are OK.
The nurses are the ones that told me to sit in the warm water. Immediately after I was stitched up they wanted to run a bath for me! I was really confused/surprised and honestly the last thing I cared about was a bath - I was starving. They said the doc recommended it for his patients. Since I was a bit dizzy we skipped the bath that night (just in time for the food to arrive lol).

I was under the impression that all the stitches will dissolve, but today I went to speak with the lactationist at the hospital and while I was there I asked how long the stitches should last. She said that two kinds are used and the inner ones will dissolve and the outer ones will be removed at my next OB/GYN visit. She also said I could use soap and TP and it was fine. I told myself that it was probably not too big of a deal since I'm not really "wiping" but rather being very gentle to dab everything dry. She said she didn't think epsom salts were a problem, at least used in small amounts, no worse than a lot of other things we are exposed to in our IVs or the air we breathe, but I'm not even certain they would help.

Quote:
The hemorrhoid wipes worked awesome for me. Just layer them on top of your pad. Very soothing. I just got the Target generic brand.

I had a 8.5 pound baby and tore pretty badly. It took me weeks to recover.
Sounds like everyone recommends the wipes of some sort. I'll check with my OB/GYN.
Mine was 8 lbs 9 oz. 21 inches long. It may take me a couple weeks, too.

Quote:
But usually once the inflammation goes down the pain [and restriction] goes away as well.
I think most of the swelling went down due to the ice pads I used the past couple days and I'm not sure how much it changed the pain, but I tell myself that each day it's got to get better.

Quote:
Do you use the lidocaine spray they give you in the hospital? I used that for several days before I realized it was actually making the pain worse [it would ease the pain, but about an hour later I was more raw than before I used it]. Not many women are allergic, but for those of us that are, that spray doesn't provide much relief.
The spray they gave me is called Dermoplast. Is this the same thing? I use it sometimes, but it doesn't seem to do too much. I wonder if it is like you said, worse in the long run.

I called to schedule my 6 weeks checkup, but they scheduled me sooner - June 23. I had the baby on May 23. Maybe this is not totally uncommon?

Last edited by jackolantern; 06-02-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Closed Thread