It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

Queena83 HB User
I'm Pregnant and on Lupron Depot

I'm 25 and just found out that I was Pregnant. I'm very much scared because my doctor told me what can happen if I carry full term.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: I'm Pregnant and on Lupron Depot

Okay, that's not a good situation, but it's not as bad as it could be.

Lupron does increase the risk of miscarriage, by a lot, but it is not clear whether it causes birth defects in surviving fetuses. No one wants to do experiments in humans, obviously. It does cause birth defects in rabbits who take it throughout pregnancy, it doesn't seem to in rats, I did find one account from 1998 about a healthy baby born after its mother had lupron in first trimester.

It doesn't sound like it's necessary to get an abortion, the child might be okay if you choose to continue the pregnancy. Might, I say. If you do continue the pregnancy, you need to get off the drug ASAP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

Queena83 HB User

Thanks For The Advice. I'm Going To The Doctor To See What's Going On. They Think That I Have What You Call A Ectopic Pregnancy. I'm Scared And Really Don't Know What To Do. If I Carry Full Term The Doctor Is Saying That I'll Want Have A Normal Child, Is That True??

Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If you have an ectopic pregnancy, then you can't keep the baby, and you need surgery very soon.

If it's not ectopic, then you can try to continue the pregnancy, although it sounds like your doctor is pushing for termination. You might have increased risk of birth defects, there is a high chance of miscarriage, but you might have a normal child.

There was a study of 6 babies who had been inadvertently exposed to Lupron before birth. One had cleft palate, and four eventually showed neurological problems (epilepsy, motor difficulties, or speech difficulties). One was normal.

I don't know what you should do. I don't know what I would do if it were me in that situation. You may want to seek out the advice of your religious leader, if you have one you trust, a parent, a close friend, or even a genetic counselor.

If you knew you'd have a healthy child what would you do? And if you knew for a fact that the child had been harmed by the drug, what then? Again, I don't know the answer, I'm just trying to help you form the question.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
(female)

Queena83 HB User

Once again thanks I went to another doctor too see what he say. He is very much helping me I will keep in touch with you to let you know what's what's.

The Following User Says Thank You to Queena83 For This Useful Post:
sjg9767 (05-12-2012)
Closed Thread