It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

STAYINALIVE8 HB User
Possible uterine polyp.......... very scared

I am only 27 years old. I had a vaginal ultrasound that showed that there may be a possible polyp in my uteris. I have a saline infusion ultrasound in a few weeks. I am so terrified of what this might mean. Does anyone know if these polyps are the same as colon polyps which can mean cancer? I am so unsure of what to expect. Anyone with advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Nicole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User
Re: Possible uterine polyp.......... very scared

polyp in the uterus are mostly just growths nothing else so dont work yourself up i had one also colon polyps have to grow 10 to 20 yrs before turning into cancer good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Nothing to be scared of. I had those saline ultrasounds and found polyps in the uterus and had them removed 3 times in the last 2 years! The first time I had them removed, I ended up having to get it done again just 5 months later because they grew back! And then I thought I was done with all of it, but then started having the same heavy bleeding and had another saline ultrasound - bam! Had to get it removed again!

My gynecologist told me that it's kind of rare, but she has a handful of patients (me included unfortunately) who just happen to form polyps. She said there's nothing to worry about, we'll just remove them if I want to get rid of them, and then at some point in the future, if I decide to have an endometrial ablation, then that should take care of the problem. But I'm 34 and haven't had kids yet so I'm not on board with that idea yet.

Anyway, having been through it so many times, I can tell you not to worry about it. Because I did a ton of research and scared myself stupid until I talked to my doctor and she told me that there's nothing for me to worry about. She had the polyps biopsied every time and every time they were benign. She said polyps in younger women are rarely, rarely ever something to worry about. They just cause heavy bleeding and painful cramps, which is why I always opt to get them removed. It's an easy enough outpatient procedure and I'm usually back on my feet within a day or two, unless they use general anesthesia, in which case I sleep for the next 3 days until I get over the meds.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

No big deal. I've had some removed as well.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

STAYINALIVE8 HB User

THANK YOU ALL FOR RESPONDING
I am a chronic worrier and you all eased my mind. I know that the chances of cancer are slim but that slim is what scares me. I have three weeks until my ultrasound. Thanks again really!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I totally know what you're going through because I had the exact same fears. Especially since they keep growing back! But after having a really intense talk with my gyne after the third surgery, I feel better because she really reiterated how some women just, for whatever reason, tend to have them more often then others. And it's no reason to believe there's a cancer issue. The only time a polyp will turn cancerous is if the tissues mutate. And the thing about those uterine polyps is that, particularly for younger women, that really occurs so rarely, it's not something you should worry about.

I think you'll be just fine. And if she reccommends to have them removed, which she probably will, then don't worry about the procedure, either. I am the biggest chicken about needles and hospitals and doctors and everything, but I managed to get through it - 3 times! So if I can do it then you should be able to do it, too.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
(female)

STAYINALIVE8 HB User

Kszan you have no idea how helpful you are. It relieves me to know that your a chicken in a sence. By no means do I celebrate fear with anyone but to know that you were helps me a great deal. I will tell you searching the internet is the worse thing to do. I have caused myself to get worked up and I am now giving up on the searches. I know I should have talked to my doctor more so that he would have been able to reassure me more. But it was the first time I had seen him. Next time I will get it all out. Thanks so much

Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's no problem. I know how scary it can be when you keep looking up stuff online. I did that too and even my doctor told me to cut it out because she said that I would scare myself silly to read all of the stuff that only really applies to post-menopausal women.

I was still scared the second and third time I had it done, even though I knew what was going to happen. It's just how I am. But I knew I'd be ok because i knew what to expect afterwards. And it was really not as big of a deal as I made it out to be in my head, so once it was all over I was like, yeah, I kinda worried for nothing.

So, don't be too afraid. The procedure itself was really no big deal. They sedate you and you're asleep the whole time. And then the bleeding afterwards is just like a period for a couple of days and maybe some cramping but nothing worse than a period, really.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

I've had cervical polyps as well, also not a big deal. Don't worry!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
(female)

STAYINALIVE8 HB User

Again thank you for your replies. I have never had surgury before so even being sedated is a scarey to me. I know I just need to think positive. And with the responses I am feeling more at ease that it will all be ok. I cannot tell you enough how much it means to have been able to reach someone who has gone through this.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
(female)

STAYINALIVE8 HB User

UPDATE....I went in today for my Saline Ultrasound. There is a small polyp and I now have to have it removed. I am not sure when this will take place but I hope very soon. I am extremly apprehensive seens I have never been put under before. All I can say is I really hope everything turns out ok.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Actually, getting put to sleep is kind of cool. Because, one moment they're talking to you and putting something in your IV, and the next thing you know, they're waking you up and you don't even realize any time has passed because you were asleep the entire time.

It's not like there's a weird feeling like when you're falling asleep at night. It's just like an instantaneous - You're awake and talking but then you get woken up by them in the recovery room. It's the weirdest thing ever, but it's actually kind of cool because you just have no recollection of anything that just happened, even if the procedure took as much as an hour or more!

So, don't even worry about the getting put to sleep part. If anything, you'll probably be as shocked as I was when I got woken up because I wasn't expecting it to be so instantaneous. Have you ever gone to bed one night being so tired only to be woken up the next morning and it feels like you only just fell asleep? That's because you were in such a deep sleep that the time passed and you were completely unaware. That's what happens when they knock you out for surgery.

Really, don't worry about it. I was so afraid too, but now that I've been knocked out 4 times, it's really so not a big deal, I feel like I worried for nothing. The only thing I'll tell you is that if you're prone to nausea then you should be very very vocal with the anesthesiologist about wanting any and all drugs they can give you to prevent the nausea that comes when you wake up. Tell them whatever they can give you, you'll take it, to prevent any problems. I made sure to tell them that every single time, and they were putting stuff in my IV before, during and after to prevent it. I still felt just a little queasy but not as bad as I would have if they didn't give me anything.

Relax, you'll be fine! Make sure you post up after you have it done and let us know how it goes!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
(female)

STAYINALIVE8 HB User

Kszan you really reply with such calming and reassuring words. I truly appreciate it. I would like to ask you, did they do a DNC when you had yours removed. Apperently they are going to for mine but I am not sure as to why. Thanks again so much

Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, i had a D&C with all 3 polypectomies. The reason why they do it, my doctor told me, is because sometimes when you have a polyp, you don't shed all of your uterine lining during your cycle, so the D&C helps to thin it out again. Basically, so you can start over again with your next cycle with a thinner lining.

One thing to also keep in mind, it might throw off your next period, so don't be surprised if it's late. Mine was late by about 4 days or so each time I had it done. And then the next month, it was on time again.

I totally felt the way you did the first time I had it done. But I feel like I know what to expect at this point so it's not as scary anymore. If you have any other questions, you should definitely post them up and I'll try to answer from my own experience because I know it helps to hear it from someone who went through it too.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
(female)

STAYINALIVE8 HB User

Thanks again kszan for all your support in giving me your experience. I really do appreciate it.
To many people this is a no-biggy surgery. But in my mind it feels HUGE. My anxiety levels are terrible. I am terrified of the anesteshia. I don't know how I will do it that day. I know that I just need to stop worring but it almost seems impossible to do. The fear of not waking up and the thought of how bad the anxiety will be 2 hrs before hand. UGH
My DNC isn't until July 16th, so I am hopeing to get a grip on myself by then. I give you great admiration for going through it 3 times. To me that is amazing.

Closed Thread