It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

xlady HB User
Doc recommended Novasure ablation

Hello Ladies,
I have searched for two days to find out something about this Nova Sure, everything I had found before this site had the Nova Sure seal of approval so I figure the "results" were too positive.(especially since they were the site sponsors)
I had my saline ultrasound on this past Wednesday, my regular doctor was out delivering eleven babies that day, so one of his colleges "stepped up" to preform the ultrasound and 2 biopsies. he recommended the Nova sure ablation and informed me that this what I will need to do.
For the past 5 years my periods have steadily become longer, more painful, heavier and with more clots than I care to remember. This past period the clots were as large as both my thumbs together in size and then the blood woiuld flow like running water after I passed these super clots. My last period which ended 1 1/2 weeks ago lasted 56 days. I used 98 super plus tampons and 40 moderate flow poise pads (they are more absorbent that pads). And guess what it started back Tuesday before my procedure.
I am so confused about what to do. I haven't tried Birth Control Pills yet as an initial plan of treatment. And I can not help but wonder what the success rate is for my doctor for this procedure. With Hippa laws as they are today I can not find out. I have some fibrous something or another (numerous) but they did not see any polyps. The upper portion of my cervix is "heavily inned" (too much for a woman my age). If you all had the choice to do over again my question is .... would you.
~~ Roxanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User
Re: My Novasure/endometrial ablation experience

xlady as of now i would have done it again. im only 2 months post op and i dont know what the finally out come is yet my period has slowed. im still hoping it stops all together. im due for my period any day so ill post the outcome of that .are you anemic? my friend bled like that and depleted all her iron and they told her she could have died.i just got done doing 3 iron ivs myself and now my blood is ok but it was 8.5 (hemoglobin) before i went in. it depends on age also how old are you? it seems the women i talk to that are closer to the change do better im 38 so that could be a long way off for me good luck

Last edited by neffie663; 06-06-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

xlady HB User

Thanks for replying to me. I'm 45, so maybe that is a good thing. My iron levels were at 13 when they tested two weeks ago. They were very surprised my iron was that good, but I eat spinach every day,especially when I am bleeding so bad. I also take a multivitamin. I quit taking aspirin though because I started noticing I was bruising pretty easy. I also always start my periods with a migraine and usually keep it 3 days into my period, does that happen to you? I'm taking Maxalt XL for this. I asked to go on the pill 2 years ago, but my primary MD just brushed that off, pretty much telling me "all women" have bad periods. I don't see him anymore. It's like I had to get this unbearable point to where I am afraid to leave home or do my job effectively. To even get someone to take notice. And now I scared of what to do.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
(female)

mcmcolospgs HB User

Hi Xlady. I think in response to your question about whether we would do it again - I think most (or everyone) would agree that it doesn't hurt to have it done. I don't think your life will become more difficult or your periods harder to manage than they are now. I think in one way or another, we've all experienced an improvement...its the fact that you get your hopes up that you are going to be one of those women whose periods stop altogether - immediately - and then when that doesn't happen, well, its sort of depressing. But, as others have said many times, things just take time. It's all a waiting game to see how it'll end up.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

i do get migraines but not monthly the only time i use to get them bad was on the pill.now it is only once in awhile
as far as painless goes i had really bad pain for the first 10hr but it wasnt to bad after that just like having a period for a few days. some women are fine right away though so it depends.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
(female)

xlady HB User
Re: Doc recommended Novasure ablation

Thank you so very much for your replies. I think now when I go to talk to my doctor I will have a better understanding of what to expect. In the ads, they seem to make promises too good to be true. I must admit it would be fantastic to not have a period any more, but I would be satisfied to have a more manageable "normal" period. In my line of work I go several hours with out privy to a bathroom. Thank goodness I can choose the days I go out into territory. But even with this as an advantage it still makes home visits difficult if I am having heavy flows 3/4 of the month, and I am 5 hours from being able to stop in at a rest room. I normally wear super plus tampons with pads to help with overflow. Once again thanks you for your responses and for having a forum where I can hear honest experiences and personal insights.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

If the fibroids are causing your severe periods, the ablation is only treating a symptom but not dealing with the actual problem. You should also ask your doctor about what the options are in treating the fibroids. I was given the following options: the pill, ablation (later this option was removed due to the location of the fibroids), uterine arterial embolization (UAE), myomectomy, or hysterectomy (oh, or wait for menopause ). I had the embolization, and it's been great.

Anyway, just wanted to give you some more to think about.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
(female)

xlady HB User

Thank you so much, I go today (6/10) to find the results of my biopsies and to see what the final suggestions will be. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the various options because MD has only made 3 suggestions/options available thus far. He told me that I have numerous fibroids and said that he believes they are the cause of my problems.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

xlady- I just wanted to put my two cents in. I had NovaSure done in January. I was bleeding thru 20+ super tampons a month when I had it done. I do not have any cysts or other issues, just incredibly heavy periods. The one thing I can say, is before my Ablation, I was bleeding for 7 days a month (and on birth control pills) when I was SUPPOSED to be bleeding, in between, I didnt bleed, but I had to get off the b/c pills for other reasons. (I Have MS, but this does not affect me in anyway, other than taking the hormones in the B/C pills was bad for me). BEcause the periods were soo heavy, my doc recommended NovaSure to me as well. I also went in and had a tubal at the same time.

Would I have done it again? ABSOUTELY NOT. Ive had nothing but complications since the surgery. I now bleed 21 days a month. Yes, it is lighter, but who needs a period that lasts 3 weeks? I have worse cramps then Ive ever had- im miserable. My doc says the surgery went perfect, and in all of the thousands he has performed, only 20% of his patients have actually stopped bleeding- and ALL OF THEM complain about monthly pains and cramps when they ovulate...he said that in the near future, he seriously is considering not recommending this to his patients, because overall, the surgery is only relieving a small amount of people from heavy bleeding, and too many patients are finding that within 3 years their periods are back to square one. My complications have gotten so bad that Im now facing a hysterectomy! On top of that; in order to truly test for endo cancer, they have to do a biopsy of the tissue of your endometrium...have you ever had that done? Its incredibly painful and needs to be done once a year once you have had NovaSure (they dont tell you that in the brochure)...each time they snip a piece of you, you bleed again and it takes away that much of the NovaSure scarred tissue..something to think about.

I wouldnt have done this had I know the whole story.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

nikki im sorry your novasure didnt work for you thats the thing everybodys body is not the same there for you never know wat the outcome is going to be. i knew going in that it didnt work on women sometimes. it was a chance i was willing to take since my blood was so low and was getting iron ivs 2 hrs at a time it wasnt fun because it is hard for me to be out of my bed that long. i hope all goes well for your h when you do end up going. hugs charlene

Closed Thread