It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
(female)

grattenbury HB User
Very Scared

I went to gyno because I had just one spot of blood and I have been post meno for two years. He did a vaginal ultra and found one polyp, and a cyst on each ovary one being 12mm and one 15mm it says simple cysts. He took some blood to test for ovarian cancer. My endometrial lining was 2.5 total thickness. I am having to go back next week to have general anaesthtic to have polyp removed, endo biopsy and currettage. The thing most scarey is at the bottom of my notes he has written endo polyp/endo carcinoma is this because he cannot tell which it is until the biopsy etc has been done

Old 06-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Very Scared

Hello,

I am not sure why he would write this. The polyp is inside your uterus and benign uterine polyps and fibroids are quite common so I would not worry. The endometrial biopsy and polyp removal will give you more information so try to relax until you have the actual results. I am quite sure that your doctor cannot tell if a polyp or fibroid is cancerous until it has been tested but if you are concerned about why he wrote this in your file, you should ask him.

As for the ovarian cysts, since they are simple cysts (filled with fluid) then most likely these are benign as well. True that you are postmenopausal but it is now known that a significant number of postmenopausal women have benign ovarian cysts. These may have been there for years and you did not know it. Most women don't even know that premenopausal women grow cysts on their ovaries every month which release eggs into the fallopian tubes. Since you are postmenopausal, the doctor will probably give you the choice of having them removed by laparoscopy or of keeping an eye on them with regular ultrasounds.

Keep in mind that all of the things you are describing occur to a huge percentage of normal women and that 99% of the time these are benign occurences and a part of life. Have them checked out anyway though as this will give you peace of mind which in and of itself is worth a lot.

I myself am a premenopausal who has been keeping an eye on an 8 cm simple ovarian cyst. It has now been approximately 10 months and unless the cyst changes or begins to grow, I plan to keep an eye on it with regular ultrasounds. If I can avoid surgery I will and since 99% of simple cysts are benign, the odds are in my favour. However, now everyone is comfortable taking my course of action and sometimes having surgery helps to ease the mind. I have also taken the CA-125 test which came out very low so this is also reassuring (although this test is far from accurate either way so I am mostly relying on my radiologist's professional opinion .. I had two different ragiologists tell me that it does not look dangerous, in addition to my GP and gynecologist).

Sometimes we have to take decisions based on information that is not 100% certain. Take your time and in the meantime, keep yourself busy and relax as much as possible. This happens to so many women who end up finding nothing sinister in the end. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
(female)

grattenbury HB User

Thanks for replying. My exact notes were Abdominal examination normal, Cervical appearence normal,Normal cervix and vagina. Endometrium thickness 2.5mm total. There is an collection of echogenic foci noted within the cervical canal this may represent a polyp.Right ovary contains a simple cyst 15mmx14mmx15mm there is a small echogenic area noted within the cyst. Endometrial biopsy attempted but unsuccesful because of cervical stenosis.
Diagnosis: endometrial polyp/endometrial carcinoma, bilateral ovarian cysts.
I have to have this week a EUA, HYSTEROSCOPY, CURRATAGE AND POLYPECTOMY AWAIT ca 125 Do you know what echogenic foci is ? I have looked on the web but cannot really make sense of what it is
Gilly

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Gilly,

From what I can gather, echogenic foci are like small calcifications. Echogenic means they give off a shadow (or echo) on the ultrasound so I believe this means that they are solid (ie. like calicifications). For example, a polyp would probably be echogenic since it is not filled with fluid. I noted that the radiologist also said that there was a small echogenic area in one of the cysts on your ovaries. Although this is nothing to be overly concerned about, you might want to mention this to your doctor and see what he or she thinks. Complex cysts (fluid mixed with solid components) are a very common occurence among women (even post menopause) but your doctor may want to remove this as well.

Keep in mind that with age we women start to collect all sorts of stuff in our female parts. Although you should have these tested to be sure, most often these things are just age related. Your D & C will be able to give you 100% assurance so at least you will be able to put your mind at ease once and for all.

All the best.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
(female)

grattenbury HB User

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to be positive but its always at the back of my mind is this something bad. What are they likely to do with the cysts do you know ? Do you know if they can drain them or do they cut them off or just leave them and see what happens. I have read that sometimes they leave them for 6 months and then see if they have shrunk. I will be getting an appointment to go this week to have those other tests done/. I will keep you informed. Thanks again its good to talk to someone
Regards Gilly

Old 06-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Gilly,

Yes depending upon your age and medical history they may decide to wait and see if the cysts resolve on their own. Your doctor may prefer to have them removed because of your postmenopausal status and the fact that there is a little bit of solid tissue in one of them. However, more and more doctors these days are prefering to handle this with a wait and see approach because with the advent of the ultrasound over the past 20 years, they are discovering that ovarian cysts are more common in postmenopausal women than they previously thought (something like 20% !) If you are truly uncomfortable waiting then you may want to opt for the laparoscopy. They can either remove only the cysts or the entire ovaries. Recent studies have shown that women who keep their ovaries until age 65 live longer so you may wish to do the least amount possible and only have the cysts taken out. That being said, there is a risk that the cysts may return after your procedure. You will need to weigh the pros and cons of either removing the ovaries completely or only the cysts. Make sure it is your decision and not someone else's. It is easier for them to simply snip off the ovaries than to have to cut into the ovaries and pry the cysts out and there is less chance of spillage from the cysts if they take out the ovaries completely (not to mention less risk of adhesions after surgery). However, it should be your decision and yours alone after discussion with your doctor so be firm with your wishes if you do decide to have surgery. Recovery from a lap is supposed to be quite short (about a week) so this is in your favour.

As for thinking about the worst case scenario, you are not alone. We women seem to be very good at doomsday scenarios. Envisioning 100 different worst case scenarios is going to do nothing to change your situation and it may make things worse as you might become obsessed with this and make yourself sick. Why not be constructive instead ? Devise a health plan of daily exercise (a nice walk every day is good for the body and the mind), a healthy natural foods diet, an interesting book or other cultural pursuit and some spoiling (go out and buy yourself something special or treat yourself to some bath products that will uplift your spirit a little). As incredibly difficult as it is at the moment, concentrate on doing these seemingly unimportant things and you will see what a difference they make on your mental health.

Let us know how you make out and if you need support during this process, come back to these boards as I personally have found them to be an indispensible resource for my mental health. All the best.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
(female)

grattenbury HB User

Thanks a lot I now feel a little more positive. I have just looked on the web and found an answer from a gyno chap and he says if you have califacations they are less likely to be cancerous just debri from the body. Sleep tight its nearly time for bed here. I will probably be awake at 4am lying there thinking. I know I am Paranoid but I cannot help this
Thanks again
Kind regards Gilly

Old 06-10-2008, 04:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Gilly,

I so completely understand this. This is why you have to try to help your mind by keeping it occupied with pleasant pursuits. As difficult as it is to do so (I too always want to solve the problem and THEN have my fun) it will benefit you in the end.

Hang in there !

Old 06-11-2008, 02:47 AM   #9
(female)

grattenbury HB User

Hi Estria
Just had a bit of good news I think. The hospital says my results for the CA 125 are normal. So It has lifted me a little
Regards Gilly

Old 06-11-2008, 04:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Gilly,

This is indeed great news. Hang in there and take care.

Estria

Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #11
(female)

grattenbury HB User

Hi Estria
I feel very bloated today is this a symptom of the cyst. I will be having my d and c and other tests on the 26th June. Am I likely to bleed much after. I am flying out to Turkey on the 5th July to see my sister so I hope I am not bleeding whilst on holiday.
Kind regards Gilly

Old 06-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Gilly,

Bloating can be a symptom of ovarian cysts but you can also simply be bloated. If the bloating does not go away, see your doctor, otherwise, it is probably just a normal occurrence. Regarding your trip, talk to your doctor and make sure he is OK with you travelling right after a procedure. A d & c is not a huge procedure but still, always make sure it is OK to travel right after. Also, you will need to find out the results of the pathology of your d & c so be sure to make arrangements to get these. Either make an appointment with your doctor or find out where you can call to get the results.

Take care and all the best.

Estria

Old 06-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #13
(female)

grattenbury HB User

Hi Estria
I am feeling a lot better today not so bloated. I am wondering if this bloating comes from when I have alcholol. I seem to get it more then. I still have not had my appointmen from the hospital some am hoping that now they have the normal blood results maybe there is not quite such a rush ! Hope your feeling ok

Kind regards Gilly

Closed Thread