It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

dreamingoutloud HB User
Stomach problems, pain and now bleeding...what can cause this?

Hi everyone--

For the past couple of days i've been having some really unpleasant symptoms....The day before yesterday, I started having abdominal pain at work...felt like I was going to have diarreah, with my intestines making all sort of weird sounds. As the day went on I felt worse...and then when I finally got off of work, and hit the ladies room all hell broke loose, so to speak...I was nauseaus and had diarreah all night and the next day too. The pain was really bad!!! I thought that I might have had food poisoning or a stomach virus...

Today I was feeling better, and went to work...on my lunch break I noticed that I have been bleeding vaginally...my period isn't due until the 15th...so i'm wondering what's up? Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?I'm assuming that my stomach problems of the past few days were the beginning of whatever this is. My back hurts and i'm having cramps...but my period is always on time...i'm never late or early!

I've just turned 46, could it be a peri-menopausal thing? I've had ovarian cysts before, perhaps I have one that ruptured? All I know is that this isn't normal for me. When the cyst that I had last time ruptured, the doctor discovered that I have a small fibroid...could this be causing all of these symtoms?

I'm going to go the the doctor tomorrow (assuming I can get an appointment so quickly)...i'm wondering what to expect though?

Thanks for taking the time to read this...I hope it makes sense, since i've just gotten back from work and am feeling very tired and sore...

---Dream...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Stomach problems, pain and now bleeding...what can cause this?

Hello,

A ruptured ovarian cyst would certainly cause all of the symptoms that you described. In this case they may do an ultrasound to see if there is any fluid in your abdomen. The abnormal bleeding may or may not be caused by the (possible) rupture. As you say, your age might indicate perimenopause. Your doctor will be able to give you more information of course but if you are feeling better, try to take it easy for the next few days and see if your body recovers. The soreness may be caused by any fluid from a ruptured cyst so this would take a few days to get absorbed by your body.

Take care and all the best.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

dreamingoutloud HB User

Hi Estria--

Thank you so much for your reply and information! I'm still having the symptoms that I described, so just to be on the safe side i've made an appointment to see my gyn this afternoon. Do you have any suggestions of things that I should mention to him besides the obvious symptoms? Do you know of any treatments that might be given for a ruptured cyst? It's very painful and I seem to be bleeding a lot...

Thanks again for your time...and have a great day!

---Dream...

Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
(female)

dreamingoutloud HB User

Hi again, Estria--

I went to the doctor today...well the first doctor that I went to didn't even examine me properly, let alone do an ultrasound before dismissing me to come back in a couple of weeks...then went on to tell me to take 4 advils at a time for pain!! Sheesh!

So...

Off I went to the ER...where I had a great doctor...ordered blood work and ultrasounds, both regular and transvaginal...the results were that my bleeding and pain is being caused by uterine fibroids. He suggested that I see my doctor about starting a low dose birth control pill to regulate my hormones, because apparently the fibroids are bleeding because they're being aggravated by mid-cycle hormones. I'm going to try this, but am a little apprehensive becasue I get severe migraines...and I know that they're aggravated by estrogen...but it'll be interesting to see what happens! LOL

Ok...I just wanted to let you know what happened...

Have a great day!

Dream...

Old 06-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Dreaming,

Fibroids are an extremely common occurrence, especially in women our age. I too have one and fortunately mine is not causing any problems (as of yet). Keep in mind that fibroids shrink during menopause so if you can wait it out, they will eventually stop causing problems. Otherwise, there are many solutions available to get rid of them including endometrial ablation and a method where they cut off the blood supply to the fibroids so that they shrink. Used to be that the only way to achieve relief was to have a hysterectomy or to have the fibroids removed with surgery. These more drastic procedures are no longer necessary.

As for the BC pills, I imagine that the doc wants to put you on one of the new low dosage brand, right ? .. Alesse or Loestrin etc.. ? I was on Triphasil for about 20 years until I began to experience irregular bleeding (which scared the crap out of me). This is how they found my 8 cm simple cyst (through ultrasound). The doctors wanted to start switching pills around on me in order to bring the bleeding under control and no one even suggested that the problem could be solved by simply stopping the pill. You see, the pill was causing endometrial atrophy whereby the lining of the endometrium is so thin that it becomes fragile and begins to bleed. Although I am told that this is a common occurence in long term pill users, there is nothing written in the insert (!). At any rate, I decided to stop using the pill at the age of 41 because I was no longer comfortable using synthetic hormones as I approached menopause. I figure that the irregular bleeding was my body giving me a sign. Once I stopped the pill, the periods became normal and the weird pains I was experiencing stopped completely.

In my late thirties I became concerned about remaining on the pill and my doctor switched me to Alesse (one of the ultra low dose pills). For the first three months I experienced irregular bleeding and funny pains and stretching sensations .. the same sensations I experienced much later during the endometrial atrophy. I decided to switch back to my Triphasil (the low dose pill, which contrary to the newer ultra low dose pills, has been around for decades and therefore has been under observation for a much longer period). I am not convinced that the newest generation of BC pills don't cause ovarian cysts. It is known that women are continuing to ovulate while taking these newer brands and since the pill is an anti-ovulant, I wonder if the cysts don't come about as a result of some sort of ovulation interruption or something (ie. the follicles grow but ovulation does not occur so the cysts remain there).

I personally will never know if my cyst was caused by the pill and I am where I am now so I must deal with the situation as it currently stands. However, I am quite happy with my recent decision to go off the pill because: 1. when I become menopausal I will know it .. when on the pill you don't know when menopause occurs .. you have to go off it for a year and see if you have a period first .. 2. as my body ages, it will be prone to certain risks which I do not want to increase with the pill (such as breast cancer and blood clots) and 3. I am beginning to think that men do not participate nearly enough in the birth control process and I now think it should be up to him to do something.

These are my personal feelings on using the pill and you will have to do some reading and decide for yourself. I just noticed, however, that you said you suffer from migraines. PLEASE NOTE THAT MIGRAINE SUFFERERS ARE CONTRAINDICATED FOR BIRTH CONTROL PILL USE. You need to talk to your doctor about this and reassess your situation. Inform yourself and be sure to make a decision that is best for you.

All the best !

Estria

Closed Thread