It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: so Cal
Posts: 1
michellebear HB User
Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

I have my periods way too often. They come every 17-20 days.
I found out recently that vitex or chasteberry is very effective for normalizing periods to their proper amount of days.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Michelle

 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Newbie
(female)
 
Sagittarius2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7
Sagittarius2008 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

I just started using Vitex.
I've had very heavy periods that would start on the dime every 14 days. Now so far, I'm on day 19. For me this is really amazing because I just started taking them this week. We'll see how it goes.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,987
Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

I bought some vitex at the health food store after reading it can settle monthly cycles. It didn't do much for me, but maybe the dosage was incorrect, who knows.

I then went to a naturopath who made a herbal formula for me which included a number of herbs as well as the vitex. This formula worked for me, but every time i tried to get off it my periods would end up all over the place again.

I was on this for 2 years and i was at my wits end. In the end i visited a Trichologist (hair/scalp specialist) as i was also shedding abnormal amounts of hair. I found out i was anemic and then found out i had a thyroid problem which was causing my hormonal imbalance, among other things. To think doctors kept telling me to go on birth control to regulate my cycles and all along it was due to my thyroid!!

I'm still taking the liquid drops from the naturopath and recently started thyroid medication. Hopefully one day soon i'll have my regular cycles back.

 
Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Sagittarius2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7
Sagittarius2008 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

Does anybody else have a testimony...perhaps a good expeience with Vitex?
Thanks

 
Old 07-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 8
angelb1980 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius2008 View Post
I just started using Vitex.
I've had very heavy periods that would start on the dime every 14 days. Now so far, I'm on day 19. For me this is really amazing because I just started taking them this week. We'll see how it goes.

How's it going for you so far? My problem is the exact same as yours. Every 2 weeks and they're very heavy. I just ordered some Vitex and I'm actually excited to use it. I've been looking at Vitex sites most of the day and I don't think I've seen anything bad about it yet.

 
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 928
Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

I tried it for a few months after I quit the pill and I didn't notice any difference. I wanted it to shorten the duration of my period (the bleeding part). All I really noticed is that it sped up my heart rate and my doctor said I was tachychardic. So I quit taking it and it seemed to go back to normal.

I think I'm going to try Evening Primrose Oil instead. It seems to be healthier in the long run cause it's like Omega 3's or something and it has an allegedly positive affect on the menstrual cycle.

 
Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 429
chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

I've had EXCELLENT results with vitex. The key is time. It takes lots of time. With herbs you need to give it at LEAST 6 weeks. Your body has to adjust to it and take it in.
What vitex does is regulate your period. If you bleed too much or too little it just evens it out. Another thing that is way EXCELLENT to take is raspberry leaf tea. It's one of the most perfect herbs for the female system.
If you do want to get top results from herbs and vitamins you should make sure to have a good diet of fruits, vegetables and grains and make sure you get exercise and stay away from fast food, soda, processed food, etc...
Our digestive system and what we put in our bodies plays the most major role in our overall health.

hope this helps

Oh yes, I wanted to add that you have to be careful of what brand vitamins you get. Some are bad and some are good. I guess just do the research.
__________________
If you expect the unexpected do you get what you expected if what you get is unexpected?

Last edited by chocolate29; 07-11-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added something

 
Old 07-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 8
angelb1980 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

It makes me feel so much better that I know that other people are going through this too. So, Did anyone consult a doctor or did you just buy it? ( removed ) ..I'm not sure that it's 500 mg capsules so I don't really know how many pills I should take. I hear though the drops work faster. I will post to let everyone know how it goes when I get them and start taking them. I hear Vitex helps with depression and moodiness too..Has anyone else heard that??

Last edited by moderator2; 07-12-2008 at 06:32 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

 
Old 07-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 429
chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

I never went to the doctor. I just looked up the symptoms I had and then looked up the herbs and vitamins that cure the problem. I find that it's just common sense and that most doctors are in the medical field and don't know much about alternative medicine.
Don't get me wrong, please. I do know that there are lots of GOOD doctors out there. I just find this works quite well for me.
The way I look at everything is, the body is a natural substance and the best way to cure the problems is by a natural substance. There is a natural cure for every health problem out there. I don't know if you all have read the, "Back to Eden" book, but it's very enlightening.
__________________
If you expect the unexpected do you get what you expected if what you get is unexpected?

 
Old 07-12-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 8
angelb1980 HB User
Talking Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

I looked up my symptoms and then I looked up natural ways to regulate my period and Vitex was the only thing I could come up with and I did research on it and out of everything I looked at , I think I saw 2 people that didn't have success with it. A lot of people had good things to say about it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of other vitamins to take along with it and if anyone had any suggestions of a certain brand of vitex?

 
Old 07-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 928
Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

Unfortunately, most regular doctors don't know enough about herbs and alternative medicines for you to consult with them about it. You're almost better off finding a Chinese Herbalist or something if you want a really good high quality blend of anything, because they can figure out based on your symptoms what would be best for you. Do you have a Chinatown in your area? You should go check it out. I have a friend who swears by her Chinese Herbalist. She never gets sick and her depression is pretty much cured.

 
Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #12
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 8
angelb1980 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

Nope I don't think there's a Chinatown anywhere around here. I'm from a very very small town. I think that's something I do need to look into though because wintertime is horrible for me. Thank you for the suggestion!

 
Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Newbie
(female)
 
Sagittarius2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7
Sagittarius2008 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelb1980 View Post
How's it going for you so far? My problem is the exact same as yours. Every 2 weeks and they're very heavy. I just ordered some Vitex and I'm actually excited to use it. I've been looking at Vitex sites most of the day and I don't think I've seen anything bad about it yet.
Wow! I can't believe it...same problem? I hope that the Vitex works for you. Please let me know. As for me so far, I'm on my period right now and it seems to be somewhat correcting, but it takes time I assume to see real results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo123 View Post
I tried it for a few months after I quit the pill and I didn't notice any difference. I wanted it to shorten the duration of my period (the bleeding part). All I really noticed is that it sped up my heart rate and my doctor said I was tachychardic. So I quit taking it and it seemed to go back to normal.
It sounds like you had another issue. I'm not a medical doctor, but from the sound of it, it may be coupled with something else. I hope they find a natural solution for your new diagnosis.
I think I'm going to try Evening Primrose Oil instead. It seems to be healthier in the long run cause it's like Omega 3's or something and it has an allegedly positive affect on the menstrual cycle.
...and let us know how the Evening Primrose works out. I heard good things about it. I use Flaxseed oil in my Buckwheat groats every morning..but I know it's not the same thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo123 View Post
Unfortunately, most regular doctors don't know enough about herbs and alternative medicines for you to consult with them about it. You're almost better off finding a Chinese Herbalist or something if you want a really good high quality blend of anything, because they can figure out based on your symptoms what would be best for you. Do you have a Chinatown in your area? You should go check it out. I have a friend who swears by her Chinese Herbalist. She never gets sick and her depression is pretty much cured.
I so totally agree. I was fortunate enough to come across a integrative medicine doctor who so far has helped me. Funny enough I was referred to him by my hemotologist. I've used Chinese Herbs for many years and there was a lot of conflict...not to mention language barriers. Oh, I've also tried english speaking ones, but they did not know what they were doing and made my symptoms a LOT worse. But most of them I'm sure work great for run-of-the-mill stuff. Now Accupuncture is wonderful for other stuff. I swear by it for all sorts of pain. It cured two of my family members of Siatica, and some pain for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelb1980 View Post
I looked up my symptoms and then I looked up natural ways to regulate my period and Vitex was the only thing I could come up with and I did research on it and out of everything I looked at , I think I saw 2 people that didn't have success with it. A lot of people had good things to say about it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of other vitamins to take along with it and if anyone had any suggestions of a certain brand of vitex?
I like this statement.
You know it's so strange because my husband found this on the internet for me. We've been searching for natural ways too. I was told to take K-1 for clotting properties and D3 because it's what's needed. My integrative doctor also put me on DHEA (low dosage), but I feel that it would benefit you to find a Integrative Medicine doctor to help you decide. Good luck! If you want, I will keep you updated on my progress.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate29 View Post
I never went to the doctor. I just looked up the symptoms I had and then looked up the herbs and vitamins that cure the problem. I find that it's just common sense and that most doctors are in the medical field and don't know much about alternative medicine.
Don't get me wrong, please. I do know that there are lots of GOOD doctors out there. I just find this works quite well for me.
The way I look at everything is, the body is a natural substance and the best way to cure the problems is by a natural substance. There is a natural cure for every health problem out there. I don't know if you all have read the, "Back to Eden" book, but it's very enlightening.
Yes. There are a few good doctors out there. Did you have the same problem "Metrorragia" or "Menorrhagia"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelb1980 View Post
It makes me feel so much better that I know that other people are going through this too. So, Did anyone consult a doctor or did you just buy it? ( removed ) ..I'm not sure that it's 500 mg capsules so I don't really know how many pills I should take. I hear though the drops work faster. I will post to let everyone know how it goes when I get them and start taking them. I hear Vitex helps with depression and moodiness too..Has anyone else heard that??
I'm seeing an Integrative Medicine doctor, but prior to that I started taking Vitex and other things on my own.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate29 View Post
I've had EXCELLENT results with vitex. The key is time. It takes lots of time. With herbs you need to give it at LEAST 6 weeks. Your body has to adjust to it and take it in.
What vitex does is regulate your period. If you bleed too much or too little it just evens it out. Another thing that is way EXCELLENT to take is raspberry leaf tea. It's one of the most perfect herbs for the female system.
If you do want to get top results from herbs and vitamins you should make sure to have a good diet of fruits, vegetables and grains and make sure you get exercise and stay away from fast food, soda, processed food, etc...
Our digestive system and what we put in our bodies plays the most major role in our overall health.

hope this helps

Oh yes, I wanted to add that you have to be careful of what brand vitamins you get. Some are bad and some are good. I guess just do the research.
I agree with "everything" you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
I bought some vitex at the health food store after reading it can settle monthly cycles. It didn't do much for me, but maybe the dosage was incorrect, who knows.

I then went to a naturopath who made a herbal formula for me which included a number of herbs as well as the vitex. This formula worked for me, but every time i tried to get off it my periods would end up all over the place again.

I was on this for 2 years and i was at my wits end. In the end i visited a Trichologist (hair/scalp specialist) as i was also shedding abnormal amounts of hair. I found out i was anemic and then found out i had a thyroid problem which was causing my hormonal imbalance, among other things. To think doctors kept telling me to go on birth control to regulate my cycles and all along it was due to my thyroid!!

I'm still taking the liquid drops from the naturopath and recently started thyroid medication. Hopefully one day soon i'll have my regular cycles back.
I hope things work out for you. I was just told last week by my Integrative doctor that my blood test results came back with low DHEA in my body.
Tell me, is the Thyroid medication natural? (just curious).

 
Old 07-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 8
angelb1980 HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

It seems like the same exact problem as yours. I started again yesterday. Exactly two weeks after I got off. I had a tubal after I had my little girl about 9 months ago and everything was fine until about Febuary I skipped my period then I got it back at the end of March and ever since then it's been every 2 weeks, very heavy and long. I'd love for you to keep in touch and let me know how it works for you. I ordered mine yesterday from gnc.com so hopefully I get it soon. What are K1 and D3??

Last edited by angelb1980; 07-12-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added something.

 
Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,987
Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Has anyone had any success using vitex / chasteberry?

Sagittarius2008 - I'm on a T3 medication called Triiodothyronine for my thyroid and later my doctor will add a tiny bit of Thyroxine to even things out. I'm not sure if my T3 med is 'natural' as i have read that some people take thyroid hormone which has been obtained from pigs thyroid. I do know my doctor likes to used medication which is as close to the human form if possible and he did say the one i'm on is expensive as it's handmade. I went to see him today and my T3 has improved. I'm feeling better too and i think it's also due to the other medication i'm taking for my adrenals and my digestion.

My DHEA-s came back low too. Mine were half what they ought to be. I'm taking half a Cortate tablet daily to help boost my cortisol levels. If your adrenals aren't working and your cortisol is either too low or too high, that can affect your thyroid. Are you feeling excessively tired or foggy? I used to be in a virtual fog daily and felt like i'd been hit by a bus. Once i began the Cortate to lift the cortisol levels my adrenals must have made a recovery as i don't get the foggy tiredness i used to have. Are they putting you on medication?

It's a slow process and i guess it will take a little time before my cycles see an improvement. I'm still taking the liquid herbal mix from my naturopath, which includes the vitex.

If taking vitex, in whatever shape or form (drops, tablets) helps you, then when you go off it and your cycles begin to go bad again, that means there is some underlying cause and it's not just a simple matter of correcting hormones.

When i first began dabbling in vitex i purchased tablets over the counter and they were expensive. The dosage on the bottle varied from what i'd read on the net and boy was i confused in how much to actually take. Some vitex containers said to taking it 'during' your period, other places i read to take it daily, then other places said to take it a couple of weeks prior to your period starting. I was more confused than ever and that is why going to either a Chinese herbalist, homeopath or a naturopath is a great idea as they gauge what your particular problem is and make the dosage fit your particular situation. When i first began taking vitex tablets my periods became even heavier and i'm not sure if this was something to do with the dosage or would have happened anyway, regardless of the vitex. Once i began the herbal drops from the naturopath i first noticed a difference after a few months, when i was roughly onto either my 3rd or 4th period.

My periods now start on roughly the same day each month, but i do tend to spot a little longer at the tail end of the period than i would like. It's better than nothing and hopefully when my thyroid meds all kick in and bring my thyroid into line then i wont even have to worry about the vitex.

Good luck to all those trying vitex on their own. Keep us posted on how you go as i'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Anyone use this? GNC Fertility Blend for Women? Does it work? laina Trying to Conceive (TTC) 5 08-20-2006 02:02 PM
Vitex? Anyone?? MindyandJoey Trying to Conceive (TTC) 17 07-31-2006 11:29 AM
Vitex/Chasteberry success stories? merchic Infertility 1 06-06-2006 12:05 PM
Vitex/Agnus-Castus/Chasteberry for irregular periods Audrey-B Women's Health 7 12-16-2005 05:55 AM
htp & vitex/agnus/chasteberry bronicagirl Trying to Conceive (TTC) 2 12-05-2004 12:53 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Alesse
Diflucan
Flagyl
Ibuprofen
Motrin
  Naproxen
Provera
Tylenol
Vicodin Yasmin




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



STLouisgal (54), Kszan (41), Titchou (39), twohands (23), Seraph (18), solofelix (16), janewhite1 (14), ladybud (12), sjb (12), Vanilla Kiss (10)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1005), Apollo123 (905), Titchou (848), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!