It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Scared and freaking out!

Bit of my history: I am 45 yrs old and had normal mamograms until July 2006. I was asked to come back and had diagnostic films taken. I have a very small calcification in my left breast. The doctor put me on a 6 month watch which I returned and the spot had not changed. I went back in another 6 months and was told the spot was the same and I could go back to regular annual mamograms. That brings me to today.
I moved from the east coast to the west coast and have a new doctor. I took all my films and records to the new facility and had a mamogram Monday. I received a call this morning from an appointment clerk that they want me to come in to have an ultrasound! She said that it was common for new patient's to be called back for follow-up testing, but why an ultrasound? I am absolutely freaking out now. There is no history of breast cancer in my family.
The thing that REALLY made me mad is the fact that an appointment clerk called - not anyone with any ability to discuss my mamogram results with me. Has anyone else had a similar experience????????

Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

cody48 HB User
Re: Scared and freaking out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq0726 View Post
Bit of my history: I am 45 yrs old and had normal mamograms until July 2006. I was asked to come back and had diagnostic films taken. I have a very small calcification in my left breast. The doctor put me on a 6 month watch which I returned and the spot had not changed. I went back in another 6 months and was told the spot was the same and I could go back to regular annual mamograms. That brings me to today.
I moved from the east coast to the west coast and have a new doctor. I took all my films and records to the new facility and had a mamogram Monday. I received a call this morning from an appointment clerk that they want me to come in to have an ultrasound! She said that it was common for new patient's to be called back for follow-up testing, but why an ultrasound? I am absolutely freaking out now. There is no history of breast cancer in my family.
The thing that REALLY made me mad is the fact that an appointment clerk called - not anyone with any ability to discuss my mamogram results with me. Has anyone else had a similar experience????????
Try not to worry. Easier said that done, right? I also went through the same thing you have mentioned. A small calcification that I was told had been there at my previous mammogram (but was not mentioned to me). Another "extra compression" film was taken while I was there. I was told what it was and to return in three months, then six. All was fine and there has been no problem since. However, since this is a new facility they might just want to verify all of this themselves as a baseline for the future.

Let us know the outcome and try not to worry. You can always call them and ask to speak with someone as to what the actual concern is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody48 View Post
Try not to worry. Easier said that done, right? I also went through the same thing you have mentioned. A small calcification that I was told had been there at my previous mammogram (but was not mentioned to me). Another "extra compression" film was taken while I was there. I was told what it was and to return in three months, then six. All was fine and there has been no problem since. However, since this is a new facility they might just want to verify all of this themselves as a baseline for the future.

Let us know the outcome and try not to worry. You can always call them and ask to speak with someone as to what the actual concern is.

Thanks for the response. I actually just heard from the radiologist and they found 2 smooth, round, small cysts in my right breast. She said not to worry and this is why they want the ultra sound. She said because they are smooth & round this was a good sign. She also said my breasts are very dense and fibro-something, which is indicative of cysts.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have this too. It's called fibrocystic breast disease. It means your breast tissue is dense with fibrous tissue. As we grow older it is suppose to go away. But I don't know when. I am 43 and have a cyst every year I go in for my mammogram. I just have a clear check up 6 weeks ago and now last night I found a lump the size of a large grape in my left breast. UGH! Now I have made an appt to be seen again. I hate dealing with this. I hope this one is a cyst too. It just came up out of nowhere.

Last edited by TEdds83; 06-30-2008 at 11:09 AM.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's what she said! Fibrocystic Breast disease. I couldn't remember what she called it. She said women that are premenopause & between 40 & 50 are prime candidates to get these cysts. I feel a little bit relieved, but will feel much better after the ultra sound. Because the nodules are smooth & round she said that was a good sign and probably just cysts. My sister in law was diagnosed with stage 4 back in October and I have witnessed all she has been through. But she is doing well and almost done with her radiation treatment.
I hope your cyst is just that - Good thoughts sent your way

Closed Thread