It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

maddi HB User
why does my cyst have 3 compartments in it

why does my cyst have 3 compartments in it

Old 07-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: why does my cyst have 3 compartments in it

maddi,

What type of test was done to discover it had "3 compartments" in it?
A "external" ultra sound isnt as acurate as an Internal.
I had a EXternal ultra sound show a "complex" ovarian cyst which is one that has several "compartments"... and a worry for ovarian cancer..My primary care told me I NEEDED to have this removed...I went for a second opinion to a top rated GYN, and she did an INternal ultrasound, and discovered it was NOT a "complex cyst" it was several "Simple" cysts on the ovary. I had 4 cysts that appeared like a "complex cyst" with many compartments, when using an EXternal ultrasound, but with an INternal ultrasound they get a much better view and it was discovered to be as I said 4 simple cysts on one ovary. "Simple" cysts, "functional cysts", and "physiologic cysts" are cysts that come and go with ovulation, they are usualy harmless, UNLESS of course they get too large, or rupture which can cause extream pain. For the most part they will come and go...

Hope this helps some.
Take care, and God bless.
Annette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: why does my cyst have 3 compartments in it

Hello Maddi,

Septated cysts develop for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they are several cysts that have grown into each other. Imagine in your case that you have four cysts that are stuck together, creating these compartments as you say. Sometimes a simple cyst may begin to develop more solid components and these walls can come about as a result.

Even complex cysts are benign most of the time but doctors (and patients) usually prefer to err on the side of caution and to have them removed and tested. Most of the time, the cyst is benign and only ends up causing a lot of worry for nothing. I personally know MANY women who have had this happen only to find out that their cysts were harmless. It is however, advisable to have these types of cysts checked out, just in case. Ovarian cancer is very rare (one in eighty women compared to say one in nine for breast cancer) and is more likely to affect older women (60 years and over). That's not to say that it never happens to younger women though.

An internal ultrasound would be a very good idea if you have not had this done. It will not only get a closer look at the cyst(s) but they can also perform a doppler flow analysis to see if there is any blowflood being drawn by the cyst. it is also less uncomfortable as you don't have to keep your bladder full to do this one (it has to be empty). More information cannot hurt and may even help as has been mentioned by the lady in the previous post.

Take care of yourself and let us know how everything goes.

Closed Thread