It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
(female)

Rawien22 HB User
Exclamation Yeast infection fix?

So... I'm 19 and just moved to a new state... I've been looking for a new OBGYN but havn't found one close to home yet... I developed symptoms of a yeast infection and since it hurts badly I don't wanna wait till I can get an appointment.... My boyfriend and I came here together and have been together for almost 2 years... We get tested together every 6 months... so I'm sure it's an infection... any suggestions to take care of it on my own? Even a temporary fix until I get a doctor would be great... this is my first one too... (since I was a kid who lived in her swimsuit...)

Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User
Re: Yeast infection fix?

hi dear,

i am the yeast infection queen!!!!
i however am allergic to monistat...have you ever tried that?? works for most people..its called monistat 7.you can even buy the 7 prefilled tubes...then use and dispose...i suggest in bed right before bed so it gives it a chance to work better...also eat lots of yogurt...yoplait (with live cultures) it will say on the cup....my dr always says eat lots of yogurt..

the thing that works best for me is a pill called diflucan...but its prescription and don't know if you have a doc. yet to call it in for you...

usually the monistat would clear mine up until the allergy thing....oh and lots and lots of water....

ps monistat is over the counter with the tampons etc. i think...best of luck kel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
(female)

Rawien22 HB User

I talked to a friend of mine, and she called her Doctor... she did a big favor for the both of us and called in the script for me it's called Fluconazole 150mg... I hope this works for me. I think I'm going to just go to this doctor now... I'm eating the yogurt... but I'm not sure about the water... before I knew what this was I was very itchy and scratched myself a bit raw... so pottying hurts so incredibly bad...

Old 07-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Drinking a lot of water will make your urine thinner, and therefore less painful on your sore vulva. After, take some toilet paper, wet it, then blot yourself clean. Don't rub.

You can also sit in a lukewarm bath to relieve your discomfort.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

sounds weird and utterly discusting, but taking regular yogurt.. like no flavor, nothing. smear it on and wear a pad (like for heavy periods.) the natural bacteria in the yogurt help soothe and get rid of the infection.

quirky little trick, but it works.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User

hi again,
yep that fluconazole(sp?) is diflucan must the generic name or something.

i'm sure they will tell you at the pharmacy but you CANNOT drink alcohol with it...its one pill...but it works for like seven days in your system...and i'll be honest with you ...i don't usually feel better until about day 4...

i wouldn't drink any alcohol for at least a week...ask the pharmacist for sure but you will get really sick...

so glad your going to get things going so you can feel better...nothing worse (well maybe there is) but its icky...

best wishes...kel

Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User

hi rawein22, just following up...

did you get your diflucan and did it help??

hope so...kel

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
(female)

Rawien22 HB User
Exclamation Re: Yeast infection fix?

Well... that pill didn't work... It kept getting worse... My boyfriend, who used to be an EMT had me come to his house Wednesday night and he looked at it and just wanted to wait it out...

He checked again the next morning and it was way more swollen than the previous day... It didn't hurt as bad though... we went and ran some errands and returned home later that night... but it was difficult to walk at that point. I kept crying every time I moved and when I took a shower to clean up... any touching brought more sobs... after the shower he looked again and told me that he was taking me to the hospital... I couldn't pee for them because I could barely sit down again... but I tried. They had to use a catheter... and then they gave me an IV with pain med in it so they could look... I was still screaming while they looked...

Doctor said it looked like herpes... but like I said, my boyfriend and I have been together for over 2 years now and we get tested every six months, It's been more than 3 years since I've been with anyone but him... and he's never had any breakouts in all the time I've known him... When we go to bed every night we sleep naked and I'll admit that from time to time I idly inspect him because the male body is amusing to me... but there's no explanation as to how it could possibly be herpes...

I thought it could possibly be because my immune system is weakened from antibiotics that I was taking for getting my wisdom teeth pulled... then last week we went on the jet ski... I had a slight tear down there from being a little rough in the bedroom... but it wasn't sore... and then we were in our wet suits for like 6 or 7 hours straight... the next day was when it hurt really bad.

They took tests and such... They want me to call back on Monday for the results...

Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Okay, so you took antibiotics and then wore a wet suit all day? Don't do that again. Seriously. Yeast love it when you do stuff like that.

If it's getting worse, then maybe you need a different yeast treatment, or maybe you have a secondary bacterial infection, or, possibly, if you used creams or suppositories, you are allergic.

Just hang on. And if the ER doesn't provide answers, go to another gynecologist. If you are on birth control pills, you may need to quit in order to get this under control. When your period rolls around, use pads that are cottony rather than plastic-y, and change em a lot.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
(female)

Rawien22 HB User

I'm not planning on doing that ever again... I've never had a problem like this before so I wasn't thinking... I guess I was taking my good health for granted.

I didn't use creams, by the time it got bad enough I was willing to try... it hurt too much to walk... my boyfriend, bless his heart... went and bought me some Monestat... but I wasn't able to use it... I call the ER or go back for a check-up Monday... I'll let you all know what's up then. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely use it next time!

Last edited by Rawien22; 07-05-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors

Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
(female)

Rawien22 HB User

Thanks everyone for the help, I just had a doctors appointment July 23rd... I found out that it actually was Herpes, but it was type 1, which is more commonly found on lips as cold sores...

My boyfriend has been an angel about this and after I was tired out from crying that day... he showed me that it didn't change things between us. He was absolutely amazing. I'm seriously a lucky girl.

Again, thanks for your help, despite the misdiagnosis.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-26-2008 at 05:39 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
(female)

Rawien22 HB User

I the GYN suggested taking Lysine once a day to keep my immune system up... she said breakouts will be few and a heck of a distance in between. She also gave me a script for Valtrex but said I really might not need it, to get it filled and start it if I start feeling funky.

Last edited by Rawien22; 07-29-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
(female)

fancydancer HB User

I just want to say that I am glad you got an answer. But I also want to say that a yeast infection is nothing to be taken lightly if it doesn't go away. I found out that you can actually be hospitalized if it isn't kept in check. It is pervasive and can attack other organs. Just thought y'all would want to know. Stay healthy!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
(female)

hystersurvivor HB User

i'd stick with the over the counter meds or prescription medication. Yogurt has not been proven to work scientifically but many swear by it. Eating high sugar products has been known to make women get yeast infections. Stick with the meds and reduce your sugar intake.
good luck.
p.s. I've never used or liked any yogurt but always recovered just fine from mine.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
(female)

gwoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawien22 View Post
I the GYN suggested taking Lysine once a day to keep my immune system up... she said breakouts will be few and a heck of a distance in between. She also gave me a script for Valtrex but said I really might not need it, to get it filled and start it if I start feeling funky.
Rawien22,

Hey - I am really curious as to how you are doing right now? Are your symptoms any better? I hope so. It really breaks my heart to hear about the pain and suffering you've been through and how is it turning out. I am glad that your boyfriend has been supportive and there for you, he sounds like a great guy. Some times things can be hard to figure out and there may be multiple things going on. All my best to you....G

Closed Thread