It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
(female)

Saz HB User
Unhappy Chronic thrush - help!

Hi everyone,

I have been suffering since January with thrush, although have had 'funny' things in between like a bartholin's cyst.

I have been in absolute agony, waking up at night and wanting to scratch. I also feel tender in places and my periods have been different for the past 6 months.

Trying to look at myself in the mirror to see what's going on, i see, and feel, a bulge inside (under clitoris) which looks like sores on it, split tissue on the right hand side where my bartholin's cyst was, and up to about 2 inches inside (extremely difficult to try and look) i have two sores which looks like chunks of tissue missing.

I have been to the hospital this morning after being referred by my GP and saw the gyno. He was useless.
Barely examined me - had a little feel with his hand - that was it.
I had a better examination at the dostors where they opened me up with the instrument they use for smear tests.
He told me i have Chronic Thrush. He said that my doctors shouldn't have given me anti biotics as it would have made me worse! - Only thing is, he prescribed me a pessary, cream and a tablet to take once a month for 6 months.

Best part of this is - i've had loads of pessary's and cream for months - NOTHING'S TOUCHING IT!!!

Can anyone help me? Have any of you had this and it wouldn't go away or thought you had this and it was something else? I'm not sure what i should do next as i've been down this road loads of times and it's not done anything for me.
Gyno said to go back and see him in a few months (!!!!!)

I just read on the net that if you have reaccuring thrush you should get a blood test as it could be diabetes..............?

Also, have read that persistant itching in and around vulva could be early sign of vulva cancer..?!

Please can anyone advise? I will gratefully accept any advice / opinions.

Thank you so much for viewing my post. x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
(female)

angabeth HB User
Re: Chronic thrush - help!

Hi, sorry to hear about your thrush. It sounds awful. I had thrush that just wouldnt shift despite pessaries and creams when I was in my early twenties, and I know how painful it is- I used to bleed when I walked. After numerous visits to the doctor I was referred to a special clinic (now usually called G.U.M. clinics) I was advised to come off the contraceptive pill, and given different pessaries and cream, which cleared it up. I have only had the occasional bout since, mainly when I was pregnant or after antibiotics.
You can try self help things, but I think that they are better to prevent a recurrence, not to clear severe thrush. Limiting sugar in your diet, wearing cotton knickers and avoiding tight trousers and tights all help. Also avoid all soaps, shower gels, long hot baths and powders as you may find this provokes an attack- plain water is best. Natural live yoghurt on a tampon can ease the itch. Drink plenty of water to dilute your urine and reduce pain. You should be tested for diabetes as this can make you more likely to get any infection.Vulval cancer is rare, thrush is incredibly common. I would recommend that you go to a GUM clinic if you find that you are not getting anywhere with your GP.You can make an appointment in complete confidence yourself (they are in the phone book, every town has one often attached to a hospital) - dont be embarrassed, they really have seen it all before! I know that they sorted me out. All the best, Angela.
P.S. If you have a sexual partner get him some cream too- mine kept reinfecting me until he was treated.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Have they done wet mounts, to confirm that it is thrush?

It's possible you are actually allergic to the pessaries and creams. Do you feel worse immediately after using them? You shouldn't. If you do, then you should talk to the doctor about this, and probably only take the pills.

I second the suggestion to avoid birth control pills and get tested for diabetes.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

I would also check the strain...there is a relatively new strain, candida glabrata that is resistant to most meds or requires longer treatment. Just found out i have it. they have to do a fungal culture for it. a reg. test won't reveal the strain, since it doesn't look like the reg. albicans. like someone else on the board mentioned, also test for such thigns as thyriod function adn diabtetes. I don't have issues with either...taking long term antifungals for it now

Alexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by angabeth View Post
Hi, sorry to hear about your thrush. It sounds awful. I had thrush that just wouldnt shift despite pessaries and creams when I was in my early twenties, and I know how painful it is- I used to bleed when I walked. After numerous visits to the doctor I was referred to a special clinic (now usually called G.U.M. clinics) I was advised to come off the contraceptive pill, and given different pessaries and cream, which cleared it up. I have only had the occasional bout since, mainly when I was pregnant or after antibiotics.
You can try self help things, but I think that they are better to prevent a recurrence, not to clear severe thrush. Limiting sugar in your diet, wearing cotton knickers and avoiding tight trousers and tights all help. Also avoid all soaps, shower gels, long hot baths and powders as you may find this provokes an attack- plain water is best. Natural live yoghurt on a tampon can ease the itch. Drink plenty of water to dilute your urine and reduce pain. You should be tested for diabetes as this can make you more likely to get any infection.Vulval cancer is rare, thrush is incredibly common. I would recommend that you go to a GUM clinic if you find that you are not getting anywhere with your GP.You can make an appointment in complete confidence yourself (they are in the phone book, every town has one often attached to a hospital) - dont be embarrassed, they really have seen it all before! I know that they sorted me out. All the best, Angela.
P.S. If you have a sexual partner get him some cream too- mine kept reinfecting me until he was treated.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
(female)

melly88888 HB User

I had to reply after seeing your message...I hope you are able to view this b/c it's been awhile since you've posted. I had gotten thrush which is actually a yeast infection after surgery and taking another round of antibiotics...it wouldn't go away and it was frustrating. I had no energy and I felt emotionally drained. I go to a naturopath and he diagnosed me with candida. I've been taking antifungals --- b/c candida/yeast is a fungus infection and it can invade other organs. Mine is finally going away. I've been on a very strict diet ...no sugar, white flour, or wheat..and that includes sugar from fruits. I would recommend doing an internet search for "ann boroch" and the "whole approach" ...there is lots of good info. on candida there and what you should and shouldn't eat. I would also try to locate an alternative dr. too and one who has experience treating patients with candida. Good luck to you! You'll start to feel so much better once you get the yeast under control.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Melly is right -- I think you need to be treated with an anti-fungal drug like Difucan-- It will usually cure the type problem you are having in several days.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
(female)

Saz HB User

Thank you all for your replies - since the last post i have continued to suffer daily - despite having even more tablets, creams and pesseries! I am going to see a Gynocologist next Thursday.
Pleased to say it's a different one than last time so hopefully he can help.

What i don't understand is why do i have lumps on the inside of my vaginal opening..?
They have like, white heads. My left side has one lump and doesn't bother me, the right side has a mass of lumpy flesh that are sore and incredibly itchy (with white heads).

I think my Doctor must be fed up of me - i was told last week that he can't do anything else for me and i have to see a consultant.

I just want this thing sorted! :+(

Thanks again.x

Old 09-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
(female)

stacy918 HB User

HI....going through something similar...horrible burning glabrata yeast. What did the new gyn tell you to do?

Closed Thread