It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

maddy73 HB User
cyst help

hey guys..i have had pain on my right ovary and it started during my period..
my period ended two days ago and its still around.
it hurts even when i lay down and kind of hurts in that spot on my back
i had a gyn apt on friday and mentioned it...she said it was probably a cyst...
and wasnt worried..
i sometimes have pinching during ovulation but never during and after period.
has anyone ever had this and how many days does it last??
i hate to go right back in, ya know??
thanks

Old 07-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User
Re: cyst help

i had a cyst this last year. it is an awful pain. if its a cyst. you will know. i felt like i was going to vomit and was so dizzy from the pain. i was even taking vicodin and it barely took the pain away. its horrible! my pain was WORSE laying down. and sitting. walking around was the only time it felt bearable.

the thing about ovarian cysts though is they usually show up BETWEEN cycles, not during. its the change in hormones that causes it. so usually starting your period clears up the cyst. well, in my case.

you should go back, and insist they check it out. they sent me in for an ultrasound. because even if it is a cyst...some need surgery, some don't, etc.

until then...take some motrin, and breathe! and take it easy at home.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Maddy,

Get the doctor to schedule a pelvic ultrasound in order to confirm the cyst. This is the only way to know for sure. If you are still having pain, don't feel bad about scheduling another appointment. Your doctor should have solved the problem at your first appointment and quite obviously did'nt. "Oh it's probably just a cyst" is a ridiculous answer.

You should know that ALL women develop cysts on their ovaries every month. About two weeks after the start of your period, you ovulate and one of the cysts pops open to release an egg into the fallopian tube. Then the shell of the cyst along with all of the other "unsuccessful" cysts, gets reabsorbed back into the ovaries. Occasionally the shell blocks off and fills up with fluid (a corpus luteal cyst) and at other times, the cysts don't get reabsorbed and remain for a few cycles (functional cysts). These normal fluid filled cysts sometimes grow quite large and then burst, causing excruciating pain because they release fluid into the abdomen which irritates it. After a while, the fluid is absorbed and the pain subsides. Very large cysts (10 cm or more) usually are removed as they can twist on themselves and hurt the ovary by cutting off the blood supply. Other types of cysts that have some solid components in them also need to be removed and biopsied in order to ensure that they are normal functional cysts and nothing more sinister (over 90% of the time they are normal).

Keep in mind that your appendix is also in that general area so this may be a possible cause to your pain as well.

At any rate, don't feel back about returning to the doctor and telling her that the pain is still there and to do something (ie. take more tests or scans to see what the real problem is).

Hope you feel better soon.

All the best.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI guys. I just needed confirmation on something- estria, you nailed it on the head. This morning at 2 am, I woke up with screaming pain in my lower right stomache. My husband and I tried to go back to sleep for a few hours to see if it would pass, but it didnt. At 6 am, he took me to the ER, afraid it was an appendix issue...they kept me waiting for almost 3 hours, but had drawn blood and did a urinalysis...they both came back normal. Then, eventually, they sent me for ultrasounds..both extrenal and internal. The ultrasounds came back inconclusive- but the doctor let me go, saying it "might have been an ovarian cyst which burst". He also explained how once the fluid was absorbed the pain would stop. He only told me to take Ibuprofin for the pain...

8 hours later, I feel alittle better. It still hurts to pee and push on the spot, but its not overwhelming pain like it was earlier today. Should i be concerned that it might need to be checked out further? How come he couldnt see that somethng had ruptured on the films?

Thanks
Nikki

Old 07-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Nikki,

Sorry to hear about your harrowing experience.

The only thing that would be visible on an ultrasound after a burst cyst would be fluid in the abdomen. The doctor may have seen this and you should try and get a copy of this report for yourself to see what they saw on the scan.

I would make an appointment with your doctor, just to be sure and try to take your ultrasound results with you to show.

After that, see what the doctor says and then go on from there. It probably would not hurt to schedule a follow up ultrasound in a little while, to make sure that all is well down there.

Take care of yourself.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

thanks Estria...the doctor told me he DIDNT see fluid on the Ultrasound, which is why Im questining it- and told me he couldnt get me a copy- which I know is not right...Ill call my doctor tomrorw and get a copy from him..
thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again Nikki,

Sometimes fluid is not visible because the abdomen absorbs it. If a cyst bursts and the abdomen has had time to absorb all of the fluid then nothing would be visible on the ultrasound. This is rather annoying because you cannot know for sure if a burst cyst is what really happened.

As for the report, what you were told is absolute baloney and you have every right to get a copy of that report. Some doctors think that patients are lobotomised hicks who will completely misunderstand a report if it is left in their incompetent hands. I hate this attitude. YOU are the patient and you are the one who will suffer any consequences so YOU should have a copy of the report.

I would definitely either insist that you get a copy (if you make their life hell on earth they will give you a copy just to get rid of you) or get a copy from your doctor.

If you have any more pain, be sure to contact your doctor and insist that they get to the bottom of this. All too often, female complaints are dismissed as neurotic hogwash. Male (and sometimes female) doctors need to understand that when we are terrified, it is extremely difficult to explain our situation with a calm and straight face but we are not melodramatic divas either. We are human.

I sincerely hope that you are not bothered by this again. These cysts can be a real annoyance. Take care.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Thanks Estria. I appreciate your attitude! It took me many, many different tactics to discover I had MS; something which most docs tsk tsk and throw out the window until a clear answer is found. I KNEW something was wrong, 2 years ago when I finally was given a dx of that...im a pro at getting answers.
Its now 24 hours later and I feel better, but not entirely right. Im going to wait and see what happens today, call my gyn after lunch if things still dont seem right.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Nikki

Closed Thread