It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

smokey22 HB User
Painful ovulation/endometreosis/IBS? any ideas?

Hi guys, i need to vent and I'm hoping someone out there might be able to offer some advice!! - i will keep this as short as poss!

I am 27 and have 3 kids. About 4 years ago i started getting excruciating pains low down on my right side, just above the pubic bone. I have a regular 28 day period and these pains would always be about 2 weeks after the start of my period, but not every month and would last a day or 2. I went to the doctor who put it down to painful ovulation.

The next time it happened i was doubled over in pure agony and saw a different doctor, he couldn't find anything wrong and said it could be IBS. Shortly after this i fell pregnant and the pains stopped (although it was a very painful pregnancy in other ways!)

My youngest is now 2 and a half and from what i can remember these pains started again straight after having him (even during post natal bleed i think?) .

I have been tested for clamidia, had an internal, ultrasound of my ovaries which hava all come up with nothing. The last time i went to the doctor he said it could be endometreosis but i didn't follow it up as i was too frustrated with all the prodding and poking which made it worse.

I haven't had the bad stabbing pains for a a few months now but every month i get a bad tingly uncomfortable ache/cramp all around that area (always on the right) which sometimes spreads to my hip/back/abdomen depending how bad it is which always lasts for a few days with infrequent small stabbing pains. I am sure it gets worse before and after using the toilet (always has for bowels but more recently for urinating too). I also get a lot of slimey vaginal discharge around this time, especially during bowel movement (which i find odd, does anyone else get this????). My periods are regular and can sometimes be painful and heavy for the first couple of days but not always.

My left breast aches, i feel fat and bloated, get cystic acne and feel VERY low at the same time each month (possibly from putting up with all this (!) or hormones?!)

I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who is going through anything similar
- could it be painful ovulation/IBS/endometreosis?
-I have been thinking about going on the pill which i really don't like taking as i have had bad reactions to all that i have tried, does this really help??
-can IBS only occur at certain times of the month or is this part of one of these conditions??
-Any ideas why its always on the right hand side??
- Do your ovaries swell during ovulation which might cause it pushing on other things (bladder/bowels???)

Sorry for such a long post, thank you for taking the time to read it!! xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User
Re: Painful ovulation/endometreosis/IBS? any ideas?

I suffer from mittelschmerz (painful ovulation). I found myself in the ER doubled over in pain a few times.

The doctors tested for IBS, and other intestinal disorders and found nothing. I also show no signs of endometriosis. We had to eliminate these other possibilities in order to be more accurate in the diagnosis of mittelschmerz.

I can relate to all of you struggles, so please know that you are not alone.

Good Luck,
GloBones

Old 07-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
(female)

smokey22 HB User

Thanks Globones

I have looked up mittelschmerz and know that it is not uncommon but i have never met anyone else who suffers from it and my doctors are all male and wouldn't understand!!!

Does anyone know if it hormone related, like too much oestrogen or something?? I don't know if all my symptoms are related or i am just unfortunate and have a hormone crazed body!!

I have tried so many different contraceptive pills and had bad reactions to all of them so it is a last resort to solving this, but i wonder if the pill could overdose me on the hormones i already have too much of which is why i get so sick taking them?

Old 07-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User

I don't know if it's really hormone related but I think it's a trigger for me.

I have horrible cycles! I have painful ovulation, painful periods, and I can't take any birth control becasue they trigger migraines. It is so good to be communicating with someone who suffers like I do.

Good Luck,
GloBones

Old 07-05-2008, 03:24 AM   #5
(female)

smokey22 HB User

I know, i get so frustrated with it all i feel like i turn into the incredible hulk every month!! I have had it constantly for days now and am getting very cranky.

Thanks x

Last edited by smokey22; 07-05-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
(female)

liziano HB User

Hi Smokey,
I also get the pain you're describing. I get mine when the bladder is full and then it goes away when I go to the loo. I also have IBS, but I don't think its related as IBS pain usually coincides with other things such as constipation etc. I put it down to ovulation pain too, which I have always had, so I feel your pain!
Also, IBS pain often gets worse around the time of my period, the doctor said this is common but not known why.
They diagnosed me with IBS after they had ruled out cysts, fibroids and endometriosis (with a laparoscopy) so there's no specific test for it. They just give you the drugs and see if they work.
Hope this helps a little
Liz

Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Smokey22--I also have this pain. I have had it since the birth of my second child, it has been 25 years now. When it first began I went to the ER because I thought that it was a kidney infection, LOL. My OBGYN at that time told me that I had Mittelschmerz. I also get stabbing pains in the cervix, it's bad. I was prescribed strong meds that knocked me out so I quit taking them. I now have found through all of this that if I take advil 2-3 as soon as I get the first little twinge of a sign that I can abort this painful ovulation. If I let it go, it gets a lot worse. Also, a moist heating pad which sometimes I forget about, works really great along with the advil and a hot bath. I now have it under control and I find that as I get older, some months it is not there at all and the degree of pain has also lessened with age. Hope that helps. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
(female)

aileen333 HB User

Wow, I think we may be related. Since the birth of my second child I have had painful mid cycle cramps and slimming. I don't know what the connection is, but it's nice to here someone else with it. I have also grown up with cystic acne since age 12. I've understood that I had more testosterone in my system and I wonder if it's the battle of the hormones. I also become very sad at that time too. At first, I thought it was a bladder problem with all the "leaking", but I've had that checked out and nothing is wrong with it. Maybe we'll find our answer.

Closed Thread