It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

zealwithapeal HB User
UTI Urinary Tract Infections

I am very suprised we don't have ALOT of UTI comments. My doctor put me on SMZ/TMP DS 800 (generic for Bactrim DS) for 10 days. Along with Phenazopyrid 200mg this is for the relief of pain in urinary track (makes pee orange color). Now who has had this medicine and can tell me if it worked or not. I am 6 days into the 10 days of medicine. I am drinking at least a gallon of water each day. But I don't see it really clearing up. I have a precription of Detrol LA for when the antibiotic is finished. Supposedly the Detrol taken once a day will help me in frequent urination. Anyone ever use Detol? Is it effective and did you have side effects? I try to completely empty my bladder but right after I go to the bathroom I feel I need to go again...like 10 mins later. Hope someone else will give me some insight in this problem. I am new on here so I also hope I can find this certain thread after I get out !!

Last edited by zealwithapeal; 07-10-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
(female)

maggiecttr HB User
Re: UTI Urinary Tract Infections

You may still have an undected bacteria at work. I usually have to gget my urine BROTH cultured (regular labs don't do it) to detect other bacteria. The first time I went through taking a standard UTI antibiotic & it didn't help, and my follow-up culture was negative/all clear, I was told that I must have Interstitial Cystitis. I wouldn't accept that, and sought out other sources of help. Look up the Cystitis Research Center & learn more!
I'm awaiting results of a broth culture even as we speak---my first UTI in 9 years. Sure hope they find something because my local lab said ther was no infection, but I really believe I have one!

HUgs,
Maggie C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
(female)

alexis1234 HB User
Re: UTI Urinary Tract Infections

Make sure to get adequate testing. Unless you believe you don't have an infection, I woulnd't take detrol. A doctor had given it to me after he tried bactrim randomly and that didn't work and I believe it made my symptoms worse. Try to see if they can do a urine culture, a fungal culture, other testing if it is in order (possibly stds maybe, tb). Start there unless there is a reason to believe taht you have a neurologic issue for the detrol.

Alexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealwithapeal View Post
I am very suprised we don't have ALOT of UTI comments. My doctor put me on SMZ/TMP DS 800 (generic for Bactrim DS) for 10 days. Along with Phenazopyrid 200mg this is for the relief of pain in urinary track (makes pee orange color). Now who has had this medicine and can tell me if it worked or not. I am 6 days into the 10 days of medicine. I am drinking at least a gallon of water each day. But I don't see it really clearing up. I have a precription of Detrol LA for when the antibiotic is finished. Supposedly the Detrol taken once a day will help me in frequent urination. Anyone ever use Detol? Is it effective and did you have side effects? I try to completely empty my bladder but right after I go to the bathroom I feel I need to go again...like 10 mins later. Hope someone else will give me some insight in this problem. I am new on here so I also hope I can find this certain thread after I get out !!

Closed Thread